This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

how to hide abap source code

Development (ABAP Development WorkBench, ABAP/4 programming)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, YuriT, Gothmog

Postby Rich » Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:47 am

abaper4u wrote:The only reason for me to hide abap source is not to show source code to my colleagues.

I dont want anybody to spoon feeding my programs. :evil:

that is sole reason behind it. :idea:


Regards
Abaper


That's not a good enough reason. What happens if you leave the company ?? Who will maintain your hidden programs then ?

If you keep the source on your laptop, and your laptop dies how do you get the programs back ?

As I always say, If I found someone hiding source code in my project they would soon be out of the door.

Secondly, can I ask how you learnt ABAP ? Have you ever benefitted from code posted in this forum ?

Lastly, what is it you wish to hide ? I would hazard a guess that it's not earth shattering and has been done hundreds of times before.

Rich
Rich
 
Posts: 7112
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:47 pm
Location: Liverpool

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:53 am

Why should one help you anyway, if you're asking for knowledge but not willing to share your own, not even to your collagues?? :?

Eelco
Guest
 

Postby abaper4u » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:06 am

i have never hessitate to give ans of question i have cracked ,

but since i am person of nature thinking new things and make it possible

so, just for curiosity i post this question to the forum.


I dont know how u people are taking it so seriously.

That s my nature of doing Reasearch and developement.

:D Take it easy. :D

Regards
Abaper
abaper4u
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:05 am

Postby aussie fatboy » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:18 am

I find it amusing that you assume we CANNOT answer the question rather than CHOOSE not to answer the question. I would guess that each of the answers in the negative were from people who know full well how to do it... they just know better.

And it CAN be done in 4.6, it is just done a different way.

You say you don't want others benefiting from 'your' code. Buddy... it ain't yours. The company who pays you owns it and that is why people who get caught doing this get shown the door.

You can try and rationalise it all you want, but in the end... you are just being unprofessional.
aussie fatboy
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2002 11:34 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Postby mjs_sap » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:20 am

This is a very mean reason. Not Professional. If you're a good programmer, u won't hide anything from anyone. ur ideas should make you stand apart from your colleagues.

Do you believe this insecurity and corresponding gestures can, in any way, take you high in your career? If 'Yes' ... you are highly mistaken.

-M
mjs_sap
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:22 am

Postby TwoABAPers » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:43 am

abaper4u wrote:i have never hessitate to give ans of question i have cracked ,
but you sure do hesitate in letting your collegues know what you've done. First make sure you want to share, or you want to hide.. if you are confused, do not confuse others.

abaper4u wrote:but since i am person of nature thinking new things and make it possible.
by asking others eh!!! well if you can ask other, everybody else should have the right to ask others including YOU, isn't it? so, this is the last thing you should be looking for.

abaper4u wrote:so, just for curiosity i post this question to the forum.
you were courious, and others were furious, big deal.. why do you mind!!!

abaper4u wrote:I dont know how u people are taking it so seriously.
simple reason buddy.. we've spent sleepless nights because of people like you, and we do not wish to encourage any more of such kinds.

abaper4u wrote::D Take it easy. :D
After all this, you must be kidding!!!
TwoABAPers
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2002 9:16 pm
Location: web

Postby petje » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:44 am

In our company we have hidden codes. And they are hidden because we don't want the consultants from our clients/other companies we sell our products/service/functionality to, walking away with our cunning developed tools.
I believe that for legitimate.

For personal use i don't think it's nice to hide code.
petje
 

Postby daddink » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:38 am

Interesting ... and you want us to share our techniques with you ... :lol:
Duane
daddink
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Michigan - USA

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:39 am

I think your companie should have this 'legitimate' attitude reviewed by a lawyer and fast before one your clients will....
Guest
 

Postby skarkada » Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:00 am

The best way I have seen companies hide their secretive business logic (intellectual property) is by writing a C program and call it via RFC. The C source code will be saved in a PVCS-like version management tool.

Contracts won't help. In every project I have been, there were independant contractors. I think it is very difficult to prevent individuals from copying code and using at a competetor's place.

I think there are legitimate reasons for companies (not implementors, but user companies) to hide/protect certain pieces of code. Hiding ABAP is the worst way to do that.

But, hiding code just for the benefit of the programmer is mean. (I am sorry, I couldn't come up with a milder word.)
Sudhi Karkada
skarkada
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 1:12 pm
Location: Houston, TX, USA

PISS OFF!

Postby Dr Sidewalk » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:05 am

You're are getting on my nerves with this silly subject.

If you hide your code then prepare to be sacked. Period.

Dr Sidewalk.
Dr Sidewalk
 
Posts: 3531
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:06 am
Location: Everywhere...

Re: PISS OFF!

Postby Rich » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:09 am

Dr Sidewalk wrote:You're are getting on my nerves with this silly subject.

If you hide your code then prepare to be sacked. Period.

Dr Sidewalk.


Here here.
Rich
 
Posts: 7112
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:47 pm
Location: Liverpool

Postby Mango Lassii » Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:36 pm

As Oprah would say....
"Some people just don't get it"
Mango Lassii
 

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:30 pm

Why don't you try hiding yourself, lest people identify you for having written such rotten code. Trust me it is worth the effort
Guest
 

Postby abaper4u » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:57 am

At last got it how to hide source.




Thanks for your wholesale response.



:D Abaper :D
abaper4u
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:05 am

PreviousNext

Return to ABAP

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests





This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.