This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

multiple source systems on one BW instance

Business Warehouse

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

multiple source systems on one BW instance

Postby CHC » Tue Oct 29, 2002 9:12 am

Hi,

assuming I have source system A and source system B with the same number range for customers,
my customer 1000 in system A could be Kreutzfeld,
while my customer 1000 in system B is different -Jacobs-.

If I load a cube from both systems, I have a problem with my master data... (everything is linked to Kreutzfeld or Jacobs, depending where the last load of master data has been performed from)

My idea is to compound the customer number to the system where it is coming from. But then, every possible attribute for a customer should also be compounded to the system where it comes from.

Does anybody have an idea of how I should perform this, or perhaps is there somewhere an "How to" available for this, as I assume that we are not the only implementation facing this problem ?

Further more, let's assume that "we" have been silly enough to already implement the cube without first solving this issue... I think that the only possible thing to do to have a non corrupted cube is to reload everything, with the compounding activated ? Perhaps is it feasible from the PSA ? What do you think ?

Ch
There are only 10 types of people in the world :
those who understand binary and those who don't.
CHC

pad the customer ?

Postby 1al1 demo » Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:44 pm

i can only suggest the obvious.could you pad the customer 1000 in system B to be B1000 (Assumes you have spare digits in the Customer field. If you can, you can just set an abap update rule to pad it.

i thought of using a export datasource from your current cube to a new cube with a compounded customer field but thats a nightmare.

thanks for answering my source system question.

Al.
1al1 demo

Postby SRV » Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:09 am

Hi CHC,

We did have 2 source systems connected to on BW instance during the project stage, but that was not for a very long time.

When you compund the char. with source system id, I think all the attributes also get linked. I am not sure, it seems so long ago.
Keep smiling :lol:
SRV

Compounding

Postby Rich Thurston » Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:19 pm

We successfully compunded source system as a prefix with Customer so it is feasible. Transfer rule assigns the source system prefix depending on source system value from PSA. Make sense?
Rich Thurston

Postby CHC » Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:00 am

Thanks for your input, Rich

In the meantime we achieved it.

My most important concern was that I did it in a project that was already alive and in production... So I was fearing a lot of problems because of the interconnection of all the objects, but in fact I must admit it was easier to achieve than expected.

Ch
CHC

Postby schalasani » Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:03 pm

Great it works.. but on one of my projects it was a pain in the neck.. we had 5 R3 systems feeding purchasing data to one BW system.. and it was a nightmare..

adding might be easy.. god forbid you don;t want to delete it any time.. it is going to cause so many dependencies.. :(
schalasani

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:25 pm

Hi Guys, great question and good feedback....

We use 30B and have this same problem with a number of objects ... the solution is to use 0SOURSYSTEM, which is now a checkbox in the compounding section of the infoobject definition.....

Heres the F1 help text ..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Master data valid locally for the source system (indicator)
Normally, this indicator is not switched on. Then the master data from all the source systems is in the same namespace.

If there are identical characteristic values for this characteristic in various source systems, but values that describe different objects, then the values from a source system in BW must be converted in such a way that they are unique. The conversion can be carried out in the transfer rules for this source system, or in the transfer routine for the characteristic.

If the work of the conversion is too great, then the indicator can be switched on. Here, the characteristic is automatically paired to the InfoObject 'source system ID'. This results in the master data being valid locally for the source system. Identical characteristic values do not have to be converted any more, since they are separated by the characteristic 'source system ID', that is contained in the key of the master data table.

Before transferring data, the master data of the characteristic 'source system ID', and thus the assigment of source system to source system IDs must be maintained.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems too simple .....

Postby schalasani » Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:21 am

It is quite simple.. but you will not realize the effects it causes on the underlying datastructures/tables untill you decide to restructure your master data or something else..

anyway it still is a great idea and i would recommend it..

Satish
schalasani

Postby CHC » Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:39 am

On the other hand, SAP also recommends not to use this unless really necessary...

By the way, if you have to do it, please first search the brand new oss note written about it, it helps to activate the infoobjects after the change

Ch
CHC

Return to Business Warehouse