This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

How do I hide my abap code

Development (ABAP Development WorkBench, ABAP/4 programming)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, YuriT, Gothmog

How do I hide my abap code

Postby Curian » Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:55 pm

Hi pips,
Can I hide my abap code so no one can display it :?:

Thanks
Curian

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:11 pm

use the search function... :roll:

Postby Curian » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:37 pm

I did use the search function but no topic was found :?
Curian

Postby Rakeshs » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:44 pm

Why does anybody needs to Hide the code ?
If you are such a good programmer then you can share your experience with your collegues and even in this forum bu sharing your code/program.(knowledge is sharing)
And if you are not then why worry abt hiding the code. You always have a chance to improve then.

Rakesh
Rakeshs

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:03 pm

Curian wrote:I did use the search function but no topic was found :?

did you really? or you just dont know how?

http://www.sapfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40110&highlight=hide+code

http://www.sapfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19082&highlight=hide+code

:roll:

ARe you blind?

Postby Dr Sidewalk » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:34 am

This subject has be covered countless times, use the SEARCH facility as requested. In almost all cases there's never been a good reason to hide the code. What's yours?.

In my company it would be seen as an offence and would likely end in dismissal from the company.

Be very careful how you tred on this subject as there are a lot of passionate people out there and you are likely to get flamed if you're not careful.

Dr Sidewalk
Last edited by Dr Sidewalk on Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" - Albert Einstein
"Money isn't everything in life, unless you don't have it"
"Fail to plan, plan to fail"
"Success is a journey, not a destination."
Dr Sidewalk

Postby Rich » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:35 am

I say nuffink.......
Regards

Rich

Abap KC:http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb
SFMDR:http://www.se37.com
Rich

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:11 am

Ditto.

I think this rates un there in the top 10 list of stupid things to do with ABAP. Probably no 7. !

Postby Incho » Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:16 am

Anonymous wrote:Ditto.

I think this rates un there in the top 10 list of stupid things to do with ABAP. Probably no 7. !

Do you have a list about these top 10 questions?

Incho
Incho

Postby Fw-190 » Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:52 am

You hide it like this;

Oops ! Sorry, I've hidden my answer.
"You start coding. I'll go find out what they want"
Fw-190

Postby Cake » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:52 am

The easy way :

If you have a LCD screen I don't recommend to use the blue part...
Cake

A vendor we purchased a product from hid their code...

Postby Jason Muzzy » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:20 am

We bought a product from a vendor and they hid most of their code. The problem has been that they have "user exits" (I'll call them that for the sake of simplicity) and it makes it very difficult to code inside of them when I can't see what's going on in the calling programs.

In fact, I was on a phone conference with one of their programmers trying to explain to him that the way they had set up one of their new sections wouldn't work for many customers, but I couldn't implement a work-around because the code was hidden. I got him to agree that the section needed to be re-vamped, but we were unable to implement that functionality (one of the main reasons we purchased their product) because we were stuck waiting for the vendor to modify the code.

Obviously, vendors view their code as intellectual property, but of the 3 or 4 third-party products we've purchased this was the first one that actually hid their code.

Hopefully this is more evidence that hiding code in the realm of SAP products is bad! Just include a copyright statement in the program if you're so worried!

Jason
Jason Muzzy

Postby KeithS » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:42 am

I agree with Jason and if I were considering the purchase of some software that my team was first line support for then I would want them to have access to view the code.

When you copywrite and market your code you should have in your contract that it will not be supported if modified. Or you could have a higher billing rate to support modified code.

If you don't want your code viewed, then DON'T CODE.

Just my viewpoint,
KeithS
KeithS

Postby VenuKoganti » Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:16 pm

Just diff view:

Do we ever get to see code base of proprietary products. I dont think so. If you give code, you just loose your intellectual property down the drain. World is not so nice out there.

SAP being primarily intra company product and one vendor product, we are seeing everything.

This is the reason why there are no popular large third party tools n suits for SAP and indirectly also affects costs for the company from consulting for everything.

Coming to the issues related to user-exit, vendor needs to ensure clean, clear and working interfaces to their product. If not, its bad product to add-on.

Btw, SAP doesnt want anybody to develop products on their platform and make money..
thanks,
Venu
VenuKoganti

Postby KeithS » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:10 pm

I agree that proprietary products should be protected but these products should also be developed out side of SAP except for it's interface/connection to SAP. Most bolt-ons that I have experience with have ABAP code which can be viewed.

And many of the useful bolt-ons that were developed completely inside of SAP have been purchased by SAP and added into the next major release level. CIC and Extended SAPphone for example. Still again, all that I am familiar with the code is visible.

KeithS
KeithS

Next

Return to ABAP