This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

The effects of raising a MESSAGE of type "E"

Development (ABAP Development WorkBench, ABAP/4 programming)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, YuriT, Gothmog

The effects of raising a MESSAGE of type "E"

Postby DrSidewalk » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:25 am

We need to replace an Error message in a Financial program.

The client is concerned that we may process duplicate records if we replace the error message with warning message, followed by a LEAVE PROGRAM command. The error message is currently raised when there is nothing to be posted as teh records have already been posted. Is a message type "W" and LEAVE command effectively performing the same job as raising an Error message (type "E")?.

I'm trying not to needlessly raise an error in the program as our sytsem is crowded with batch jobs that raise errors needlessly when there is not data to process etc, and I'm pretty sure the result would be the same if replaced with Warning message and then leave the code. But, a tonne of developers (offshore) are ganging up on me and saying that they perform different functions. What do you think?.

Dr Sidewalk
DrSidewalk

Re: The effects of raising a MESSAGE of type "E"

Postby Sharpshooter » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:17 pm

I'm with you but I'm not sure how to help with your argument. I generally use all 'S' messages in when running in batch with proper flow logic.

I am also a bit concerned with offshore developers being measured in 'tonnes'!
Good luck!
Sharpshooter

Re: The effects of raising a MESSAGE of type "E"

Postby Rich » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:07 am

Doc!

C'mon!

An E class message abandons the processing of the data and sets the erroneous field to input or abandons the job.

A warning message online examines the value a second time and if it is the same accepts it. In batch it is ignore.

I would say that your idea of a warning and leave would work. why not write a poc program (just output a warning message, a leave statement and a second message). Run it in batch you should only get the first message if it works.

Rich
Regards

Rich

Abap KC:http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb
SFMDR:http://www.se37.com
Rich

Return to ABAP