This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

SAP Testing Consultant (what's that exactly?)

Discussion about non-SAP related issues: Inquiries, Personal & Commercial advertisements, etc. ( For registered users only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish, The Prince Of Darkness

SAP Testing Consultant (what's that exactly?)

Postby Martin_US » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Another sexy subject cause I don't know where else to put it.

I have always wondered what the expectations are towards that position.
I once was hired for such a position and after about 4 hours on-site I went to my project manager and told him that what he wants is in La-La-Land. (I did the SD side, or should have done, there was MM and FI, who developed test scripts based on standard SAP and when it came to testing, the scripts where largely useless, because they were never told about the way the business runs, nor the modifications)

In such a position, you would need to be on the project from day one to be informed about all the setup/configuration and the modifications. Otherwise, how will you be able to do any meaningful testing?
Yet, who does the testing? Any developer will (hopefully) test his own stuff before handing it back to the functional consultant who will test again, if the result is what he expects. Then, ideally, hand it over to the business who requested the modification for additional testing.

(Ok, I was once on a project where we had from Blue Print to go live 2 Month with 2 weeks handholding afterwards. I requested SAP_ALL and believe it or not I got it, cause there was really no time to waste)

Then you have various integration test scenarios if applicable, but shouldn't those be done by the super users? Granted, perhaps with a little functional help when it comes to data and how they all go together, but why in heaven would I as a business leave testing to external resources? Any project manager should scream "bloody hell" if that's ever going to happen. After all, only once the business accepted a modification, they should request a transport from QA to Production.

Isn't that top to bottom against best practice to bail out the business and relief them from responsibility?

Where is my assumption wrong? What do I not understand here?
Martin_US

Re: SAP Testing Consultant (what's that exactly?)

Postby Gothmog » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:10 am

I guess the reasonning is as simple as "Business users have no time nor desire to test this, so we'll have it done by someone else."
68 74 74 70 3a 2f 2f 74 69 6e 79 75 72 6c 2e 63 6f 6d 2f 62 64 6f 37 6d 77 67
Gothmog

Postby Sharpshooter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:02 am

"Testing Consultant" is the person who gets the blame when:
1) All tests scripts are successfully executed.
then
2) The business cannot run after go-live.
Good luck!
Sharpshooter

Postby Martin_US » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:27 am

Ok,

so in short, stay away from that position unless you really like to get your ass kicked for someone else's inabilities :)
Martin_US

Postby Count » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:53 am

I wouldnt work in a project where my business users do not perform the uat with minimal functional support.
my plan is :
1. unit testing: mostly done by functional folks like me using very simple excelsheet scripts and running them along with business to use this as a 'training' exercise for business users.
2.integration testing: business users really prepare most of the test scripts but functional guys also support them about 50% on the integration front. idea is by end of this the business users will be able to handle the uat on their own more or less...
3. uat : by business.
It has worked for me pretty well these past 7-8 years...
the difficulty lies in global projects: testing can easily be a nightmare in them... especially when u have onshore offshore kind of set up.... then the onus should rightfully be given to a nice highly paid test-manager to take the fall/blame... but hang-on... it usually comes back to functional guys in this kind of set-up... never could understand it...but lesson was learnt. :) :) :)

bottom-line: testing is none of your F***ing business if you are a functional guy. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
-------------------------------------------

Count
cognosce te ipsum, corripe cervisiam ;)

Dictator-for-life-of-the-Tuly-Idiot-Order
http://www.sapfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=287109
-------------------------------------------
Count

Postby waltersen » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:26 am

Hello,

I think (as a tester myself, IT based) you must make a difference between someone who does testing or other things to improve the quality in the organisation (programmer = unit test, tester = integration test, business uat) and a consultant.

For me a consultant is a guy with very good knowledge who shall help the customer to improve their processes. So if there is no testing or bad testing: consultant. We want to do automation and do not know how: consultant. We want to use a tool and we need help: c.

I think a (good) consultant should also tell when automation / sripting is useful and when it is not. If you have often GUI changes then this is a problem for scripts, because you have to rerecord them.

My two cents.

Greetings from Hamburg
waltersen

Postby Martin_US » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:38 pm

Waltersen,

my original point was more toward integration test which requires knowledge of the company specific business processes.

As a (external) consultant, one hardly ever gains that knowledge, unless on the project from start to finish.
But not being hired at the end of the game.

Otherwise, I would completely agree with you. I have done my fair share of various kinds of testing and also improvements. The pros and cons of it. Key doing that however, I also looking over the user's shoulder to find out where exactly the improvement makes the most sense.

Frequently, the consultants are kept far away from the real action and only get pre-filtered information.

One reason why users often think consultants are arrogant and not of much use.

Times have changed. In my early years you could go to Unilever or Beiersdorf and talk to people.

Today, you travel to the client to participate in conference calls.
Martin_US

Postby waltersen » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:50 am

Hello,

imho you need for integration testing a good business process documentation. In theory there should be one there, somewhere. And you need it as more as you away from the business itself.

I do not like to test things I do not understand. If there is not process documentation, I ask the requirement guys or the business itself. Another problem is , if you have different systems, that sometimes there is no test infrastructure or it comes late.

Bye
waltersen

Return to General Talks