This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Discontinued material MRP4 + MRP run

Logistics : PP

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, Ha Tran

Discontinued material MRP4 + MRP run

Postby toniolie » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:36 am

Hello guys!

I'm facing a situation here, when I try to run MRP for an item that's discontinued.

Example: I have item X and Y. X is discontinued and Y is its substitute. I informed in MRP4 of X the subsequence with the date in the past, also the type of subesequence is "single".
Item X has a reorder point of 10 units and has 6 pieces on stock. Considering that, if I ran MRP for this item, system would create a PR of 4 pieces. Since I informed the discontinuation in MRP4, I would imagine that this demand would pass by this item and be created for Y item, the one that is substituting X. But the system did not do that.

If I wasn't clear, the situation I face is the same as "SAPgirl" faced in this topic "http://www.sapfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=198992&p=588882"

I also did what "tv0571" recommended and it did not work.

Do you have any idea of what might be happening?

Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Estevão.
toniolie

Re: Discontinued material MRP4 + MRP run

Postby ESCOCES » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi,

A few questions

a) Are you will use the 6 pieces in stock (of product X)?
b) Why do you maintain reorder point?
If the answer of (a) is not, mark BULK MATERIAL when you run MRP, and not purchase order or production order will be created.
1)If material X will be replaced by Y, and this is a component, you can make BOM alternative, delete old versión and create the new versión.
2)Or you can run CS20 and replace in BOMs material X by Y.
3)If you have 6 (X) in stock and you want to make consumption of them, when system create process order with BOM item Y, you can replace manually the Y by X until stock of X will be 0.
There is one note for this 43636

regards
Regards
ESCOCES
ESCOCES

Postby Sharpshooter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:33 pm

The bottom line is - Why would one have a reorder point maintained on a material that is discontinued? That makes no sense.
Dave
Good luck!
Sharpshooter

Postby toniolie » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:55 am

Hello Guys, thanks for the replies.

Dave, after I wrote this post I was informed that reorder point makes no sense for discontinued parts, what's important is MRP Type.
Escoces, thanks for your reply. And about consumption of the stock, yes, we want to use the left pieces on stock of item X.

~~ This subsequence applies for spare parts plant and not for a production plant, so these items aren't in any BOMs ~~
*forgot to mention that previously

What I did was, after I was aware about the MRP type, I searched for which MRP Type should I use to discontinued materials. I found out that I should use PD. I made a test, changing MRP Type in both items to PD and ran MRP. Nothing happened. It did not create a demand for the subsequent item.
What I question you is "which other fields/configurations should I take in consideration when using MRP type PD for discontinuation"?

Please, consider that we do not use the standard MRP types of SAP.

Regards,
Estevão.
toniolie

Return to Logistics PP