This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Substitutions, BOMs, MRP and such...

Logistics : PP

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, Ha Tran

Substitutions, BOMs, MRP and such...

Postby MMPP » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:52 pm

How do you guys handle planned substitutions? We produce HALB internally in one plant, then that stuff is shipped to the plant where the FERT are produced. Often there are substitutions. Trying to figure out how to deal with them.

Example: A FERT A has component HALB X in it's BOM. We issue an STO for X, but at some point it becomes clear that X will be substituted with Y. The STO is updated, but now X will show up as a purchase req. Right now we "remember" not to order more X since we are getting Y instead.

There must be an easy solution for this... help! :?
MMPP

Re: Substitutions, BOMs, MRP and such...

Postby MMPP » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:24 am

Wow, this forum has slowed down a lot lately. :o

Along the same lines/questions, how would you handle back-orders in POs. How do you communicate back to the requester that something will be shipped 2 weeks after the promised date, without actually changing the PO (since that causes MRP to spit out more purchase reqs).

There must be something basic that I am missing.
MMPP

Postby Ramarao » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:56 am

About PO (are you talking about purchase orders?) - are you looking for confirmations? That has nothing to do with substitutions really?

About substitutions - there are multiple features in SAP - (1) simple/parallel discontinuation (2) material substitutions in SD and (3) Interchangeability in discrete industry solution each with its own reach and limitations, and the amount of upfront setup.

What substitution are you looking at -- is it a design change that forces you to "kill" existing stock and start the new design, or is it more like, use up all the existing stock (and pipeline) but plan new stuff with the new material?
- Ramarao
Ramarao

Postby MMPP » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate you taking the time.

Ramarao wrote:About PO (are you talking about purchase orders?) - are you looking for confirmations? That has nothing to do with substitutions really?

What? STO = Stock Transport Order (type of Purchase Order). Not looking for confirmations. Looking for a way to handle substitutions, specifically for inter-company transfers. How did you get to confirmations?

Ramarao wrote:About substitutions - there are multiple features in SAP - (1) simple/parallel discontinuation (2) material substitutions in SD and (3) Interchangeability in discrete industry solution each with its own reach and limitations, and the amount of upfront setup.

Did you read through my example? Maybe it was a bit hard to follow. Let me try differently. Say you and I work for the same company. You are in a plant that produces HALB (semi-finished materials). I order them from you to produce something finished. At some point in time you realize that you won't have exactly what I am asking for, and substitute it with something else (with my consent). You change the STO by removing the originally ordered part, and put in the substitute. Now the problem becomes that as soon as MRP runs, the original part pops up as a req (which is already being filled by the substituted part). You can't leave the material on the STO either, since then it shows a shortage on your side when there is really none.

So... discontinuation does not apply. Material substitutions in SD, not sure. I guess we could start to use sales orders and use the sub functionality there, but I'd rather stick with STOs only. Interchangeability might be the ticket. Need to read up on FFF classes and such.

Ramarao wrote:What substitution are you looking at -- is it a design change that forces you to "kill" existing stock and start the new design, or is it more like, use up all the existing stock (and pipeline) but plan new stuff with the new material?

No design change, nor new stuff, all of that can be handled via discontinuation. It is just a temporary failure to supply a material, and produce/ship a different one instead.
MMPP

Postby MMPP » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:44 pm

I think this is exactly what I need -

Material Exchange/Distribution After Issuing the Purchase Order

During the ordering process, the supplier might partially or fully exchange the ordered part with another similar part. Partial deliveries of different parts may also take place. It is possible that you learn of this only on delivery.

You have to amend the purchase order item, so that the subsequent processes, such as shipping notification, goods receipt, and invoice verification, actually apply to the parts that were delivered. Subject to the information that you receive from your supplier, you replace the originally ordered part in the purchase order with

● One or more fully interchangeable parts
● One or more one-way or restricted interchangeable parts

The system displays a selection of all the parts that are fully interchangeable and one-way or restricted interchangeable with the original part. You select the parts and adjust the order quantities.

Stuck with the "interchangeable parts" part. Doesn't seem to exist in our version of 4.6c. Neither MEM1 nor PIC01 nor any of the menu branches I am googleling.
MMPP

Postby Ramarao » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:23 pm

>> How do you communicate back to the requester that something will be shipped 2 weeks after the promised date

MMPP - I didn't relate your update with original post, my bad. "updating the PO requester" - thought as PO acknowledgement normally.
- Ramarao
Ramarao

Postby Ramarao » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:26 pm

MMPP wrote:I think this is exactly what I need -
Stuck with the "interchangeable parts" part. Doesn't seem to exist in our version of 4.6c. Neither MEM1 nor PIC01 nor any of the menu branches I am googleling.

This is only in ECC 6.0 with DiMP (Discrete Industries, Mill Products) solution as far as I know.
- Ramarao
Ramarao

Postby MMPP » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Thank you for confirming that... too bad! :cry:

Not sure how the PO acknowledgement would work for STOs. They actually go in and change the delivery dates which results in MRP spewing out more purchase reqs.
MMPP

Return to Logistics PP