MRP setup - with external planning systems

Logistics : PP

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, Ha Tran

stevo

MRP setup - with external planning systems

Post by stevo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:34 pm

I'm trying to setup MRP in the following scenario.

For a certain group of materials they are handled in a non-SAP system for stock consumption & replenishment planning purposes. From a financials (incuding procurement related AP processing) perspective this is handled in SAP. All goods movements are replicated between systems.

The external system calculates the requirements & passes this to SAP, creating planned independant requirements.

This is where I get stuck. I have only setup MRP with consumption-based or forecast-based processes, not with external systems.

Basically we need to adopt whatever this external system is telling us to buy. How do I stop MRP from from netting out the inventory/ requirement values in SAP?

Is LSF the best requirements type to use in this scenario?

I was planning on using MRP type P1... we'll be receiving planning file on a weekly basis.
Cheers, Steve

ppguru

Re: MRP setup - with external planning systems

Post by ppguru » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:06 am

You can try with MRP type : X0

stevo

Post by stevo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:53 pm

Thanks PPguru, I gave that a got, but MRP is still performing a net calculation. We want MRP to just order whatever the indendant planned requirements come in as...

So if we have: Material ABC001 with 9 in stock, 50 on a PO and an independant requirement comes down for another 20, then we want a PR generated for that 20.
Cheers, Steve

stevo

Post by stevo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:09 pm

I managed to achieve the basic scenario I wanted by excluding the specific storage location (for these materials) from MRP calculation.

So I got my PR and was able to convert it to a PO after running MRP. What I did not expect was that the independant planned requirements remained after the PR & PO was created. How do I achieve netting off these independant planned requirements.
Cheers, Steve

birdiemaker

Post by birdiemaker » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:10 am

Stevo!
Sounds like you need to send the replinishment element to SAP from your external system, and not the PIR. Or send the replinishment element AND the PIR. It makes no sense to ask SAP to net against an external PIR if you don't want SAP to net in the first place. If that was the case then you aren't using an external "planning" system, but an external "forecasting" system.

As ppguru mentioned, X0 is standard for external planning, but the assumption is that the external system also creates the PR and the PR is sent to SAP where it is then converted to PO.

Also,
I find it difficult to believe that SAP still netted with MRP type X0. Are you sure you weren't looking at old PRs? If it really did then someone changed config, check Production > Material Requirements Planning > Master Data > Check MRP Types (OMDQ). Make sure your MRP procedure is X.

Moddard

Post by Moddard » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:08 pm

If u cant interface ur planning results to replenishment elements (pur. req.s,..)
as proposed by birdiemaker you should have a look at 'gross requirements planning (planning strategy 11)'. See SAP Help. This strategy is used whenn netting is done externally and SAP stocks should be ignored.
MRP type X0 d oesnt do netting. You would use it if you get planned orders from an interface. Especially if you need BOM explosion for them (otherwise MRP type ND normally would be sufficient).
For gross req. planninn you normally use PD.