RRB - There is more than one sales order item for WBS?

Logistics : PS

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

patricktr

RRB - There is more than one sales order item for WBS?

Post by patricktr » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:23 am

Hi - this is just a general query really as the SAP help seems pretty clear but why is it not possible to book say time & expenses to the same WBS element? If you create a sales order with two lines, one to represent Time and the Other to represent Expenses but assign them both to the same WBS Element (T&M), when you run DP91 using it as the reference, you get the error message ...

There is more than one sales order or contract item for WBS element 0040000013-20-10
Message no. AD01176

Diagnosis
You want to bill a sales document according to resources, or carry out a sales price calculation. You bill more than once to the same billing WBS element in the sales document items. This can occur directly or indirectly by assigning an account to a lower-level WBS element in the hierarchy.

Procedure
Enter the sales document items you want to bill according to resources, or for which you want to create a sales price calculation. You must assign them to different billing elements.

.... ok - pretty unambiguous but I'm not clear what the rational is behind that is - you wouldn't necessarily want every line item on the customer invoice to be reported to a different WBS element - would you? Am I missing something?

Any enlightenment much appreciated.

Sachu

Re: RRB - There is more than one sales order item for WBS?

Post by Sachu » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:42 am

Hi,
Each of the contract line items can adhere to two different (and separate) billing methods. That is why it is advisible to have separate billing elements for each of them. I guess your contractual set up is such that you always bill both the items together, but with such a set-up you cannot bill the individual items separately, which is primarily the reason why you have 2 separate line items instead of having one line item in a contract. (as you might be knowing each item correspond to a sales order)

Hope it helps.

patricktr

Post by patricktr » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:19 am

Once again many thanks for taking the time to reply Sachu.

This is a kind of academic question really as I can see that from a project reporting point of view Time & Expenses can still be reported at a consolidated level – I just can’t see why it is a system constraint that they must be on separate WBSs.

I am using Resource Related Billing so the DIP is managing the material determination (i.e. what is time and what is expenses) and the account assignment is coming from the source contract with one line for Time & one line for Expenses which as you say are both copied through onto the same Debit Memo Request.

The problem is that if I assign both the time & expense lines on the contract to the same WBS I get the error message and can’t progress …. I’m not at all clear why that should be so.

Sachu

Post by Sachu » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:31 am

Well, you can report it consolidated at project level by using multiple wbses aggregating to the higher levels. ie. you have multiple billing wbses under a higher level billing wbse. I think this is what you need to do. Book your time on contract item 1 to billing wbse1 and expense on contract item 2 to billing wbse 2 and generate your due list/debit memo from higher level wbse.

Or use one contract item for booking both time and expense, assign it to single WBSE and use cost elements in your DIP to differentiate between time and expense postings in your debit memo.

Hope it helps!