This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Capacity Planning with PM

Logistics : PM and its sub-modules & SM

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, PJA

Capacity Planning with PM

Postby Horsefly » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:20 am

Hello Folks,

We're using capacity evaluation and leveling in PM (ECC 6.0). In standard SAP, once the actual hours = the planned hours, the requirement drops off the planning board. Is there a trick/workaround/setting to maintain visibility of the order afterward without buying a third party solution or MPS? And...has anyone experimented with changing the colors of the requirement to show the additional hours?

Thanks!
Horsefly

Re: Capacity Planning with PM

Postby theChiel » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:48 pm

I believe that when recording time confirmations (for the actual hours) the remaining work should be maintained so that SAP knows that, although the actual hours may equal or exceed the planned hours, the operation is still not complete.
What do you mean there's no undo !!!
theChiel

Postby Horsefly » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:36 am

Thanks Chiel!

What you described is what we've been doing as a work around. I've invested $237 in SAP's e-learning for capacity planning and will update the post if there are any revelations regarding the topic.

Thanks again.
Horsefly

Postby theChiel » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:47 pm

SAP training for $237 - how / where did you get that?

Remaining work is an industry standard for scheduling ... 8hrs planned with 6hrs actual plus 4hrs remaining gives me an estimate to complete of 10hrs and productivity of 80%.
What do you mean there's no undo !!!
theChiel

Postby Horsefly » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:29 am

Hey Chiel,

The training is offered through SAP but, so far, I'm not impressed. It looks like they recorded a slide presentation from ASUG or something and there are no controls to pause/restart. I'll render a verdict when complete.

I agree with your assessment on the hours. I tried to convince the user the capacity planning/leveling screen is not the place for monitoring the work orders in general (or his efficiency). But, I do understand where he's coming from. If he fattens the estimate, the craftsperson will follow the parkinson principle (work fills the time allocated for it). When the hours confirmed = the hours planned the order drops off the screen and it appears as an open slot for the planner to allocate another assignent to the work center. The easiest thing to do would be to ask the craftsperson how much more time is needed to complete the work and adjust the work order hours and the task list estimates for the next order. Until then, he can use IW38/39 to monitor the overall status.

Thanks for the input.
Horsefly

Return to Logistics PM