This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Difference between Confirmation and Timesheet?

Logistics : PM and its sub-modules & SM

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, PJA

Difference between Confirmation and Timesheet?

Postby Sallyxu » Thu May 22, 2014 9:12 pm

HI PM Guru,

We can use IW41 to confirm order for internal labor cost posting against the Order.

Alternatively use Timesheet to post hour against that order.

What is the difference in between? My understanding is with HR timesheet, it can not only post labor cost but record timesheet in connection with mainteannce work.

Pls kindly correct me.

Sally
Sallyxu

Re: Difference between Confirmation and Timesheet?

Postby psquare » Fri May 23, 2014 8:34 am

Hi Sally,

The big diference is that when you use CATS you get additional functionality. For example when you use cats (time sheet) it is possible to have those authorised first before they will be posted to the PM-area. There are also some time reports available so you can see if your employees posted 40hrs this week.

So in short, you post the hours in timesheet, you need to enter the PM -order in a field of the timesheet. After hrs are approved when applicable, you transfer the hrs with CAT9.

If the business is not in need of the additional funcitonalities and reports, I wouldn't advise to use this.

Regards, Psquare
psquare

Postby PJA » Fri May 23, 2014 8:43 am

Sally,

When you use CATS to records work order time the system can post to the order (i.e. creates a conformation as per IW41) and it can also post to HR at the same time.

Depending on your system settings, the actual costs for the order confirmation can be determined from the HR master data, and not the work centre data if required.

As mentioned above, there are also approval options in the CATS process if required.

CATS can be very useful if the user needs to post to several different objects all in one screen e.g. HR, PM work orders PS projects, CO cost centres etc.
Pete A
www.pjas.com
PJA

Postby Sallyxu » Sun May 25, 2014 9:50 pm

Hi Psquare and Pete,

Thank you so much for your clear explanation.

As we are to set up PM for a new business, would you please let me know

a. What the addtional functionality is from CAT confirmation?

b. What are the report it can provide?

c. We can see the man hour spent per each work center, can we use it to measure personnel effeciency?

Based on your feedback, we will decide if we need to utitlize this.

Thank you very much,

Sally
Sallyxu

Postby Sallyxu » Mon May 26, 2014 1:43 am

Hi Psquare,

May I ask you what the authorization to get in PM area?

I'd like to know more to see if we need to utilize it.

Thank you,

Sally
Sallyxu

Postby psquare » Mon May 26, 2014 7:49 am

Hi Sally,

Don't know exactly what you mean with authorization.

My knowledge of CATS is from a few years back.
The transaction to get the costs to PM is CAT9.
With transaction CADO you can have a report on the CATS hrs the emplyee's had filled. In my old compnay they used is as a 40hrs weekly sheet control.

For more detail I would suggest to visit the SAP help.

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/help ... ameset.htm
psquare

Postby Sallyxu » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi Psquare,

Thank you for your reply.

As far as I know, the integration between PM and CATs can be used to record man hour as well the labor cost.

I'd like to know what the additional functinality it can offer.

My questions are:

1. To monitor individual performance, i.e. the hour spent per a particular work varies between person and person.

Can we utilize CATS to report a report to measure personnel efficiency?

2. One issue we meet is our Order receives wrong cost from other Business Unit via timesheet.

Is there a way to prevent it?

Thank you so much,

Sally
Sallyxu

Postby syazici » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:20 am

Hi
As PJA mentioned, yes CATS will be very useful if you want to settle costs against non-maintenance activities like training, meetings etc. These can we directly settled to the training, management, production cost centers. It makes it possible to run wrench time analysis. So you can see what is the percentage of utilization for each individual.
One of the issues with CATS is synchronizing individuals to enter final confirmation. So multiple resources can work on the same operation and the person who finished the job was supposed to enter the final confirmation. As time entry does not have a better visibility then confirmations, the person who needs to enter the full confirmation may skip it or do it before others enter their time sheets, which may cause some issues. Probably there are ways to eliminate those issues.
And also IW4* transactions have several additional functionality in which you can do lots of PM related tasks which probably does not fit in the idea of time sheeting.
Regards
Savas
syazici

Return to Logistics PM