This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

linking up Activity type and Service Material in DIP profile

Logistics : PM and its sub-modules & SM

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, PJA

linking up Activity type and Service Material in DIP profile

Postby amrafey » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi All,

In DIP profile can I link up one activity type with multiple service materials? Or it has to be one to one i.e., one activity type linked up with one material only?

Appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Abdul Rafey
amrafey

Re: linking up Activity type and Service Material in DIP profile

Postby amrafey » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:49 pm

my understanding is that you can link many act type with one service mat. But not the other way around. Please correct me if I am wrong?
amrafey

Postby didier » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:26 am

what could be the business reason for having many materials to one activity type ? sounds completely illogical for me...
Last edited by didier on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
didier

Postby psquare » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:54 am

As an additon on the remark of Didier, explain the proces in more details.

The material determiniation in the DIP, depens on a key you defined. We had different experienced technicians who posted their ours on normal hrs, overtime etc. This was arranged with activity types. In order to make a distinguishment in pricing but also textual, we needed other material numbers, although the activity type was the same. In this case you must select a bigger key in DIP.

So I suspect that within your proces you have a simular requirement.

regards, Psquare
psquare

Postby amrafey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:36 am

OK, business has different type of services... such as 1) breakdown/onsite services 2) Preventive Maintenance 3) Inhouse Repair and 4) Installation.

So far the data they have provided is for Breakdown/Onsite Service and Preventive Maintenance. Now the rates of Service Charges they have provided for these two types of services is based on the type of equipment.

For example:

Type of Equip | Breakdown | Preventive Maint
Equipment A | $400 | $400
Equipment B | $500 | $800
Equipment C | $350 | $600
Equipment D | $250 | $400
Equipment D | $300 | $500

Now I was thinking of defining one Activty type for Breakdown and another Activity type for Preventive Maint.

However, as listed above, there are going to be 5 different Service Materials for Breakdown Service as there are 5 Equipments types with different Service rates (as shown above)

Same case for preventive maintenance, 5 Service materials for 5 Equipment Types with different Service Rates.

So, since I am going to have 10 Service Materials for the above, but two Activity types... the reason for having only two Activity types is there are no different activity prices. So two Activity types with two Activity cost price would suffice. However, as there will be a list of 10 materials, so I was checking if there is a way to link up one activity type with 5 different Service materials in case of Breakdown and likewise in case of Preventive Maint.

However, I was wondering if I set up same Activity type two 5 Service Materials in the DIP, then how would system know which Service Material to pick up when I perform DP90.

Sorry for the lengthy post but hope this gives a better picture.

Appreciate if you experts can guide me.

Best regards,
Abdul Rafey
amrafey

Postby psquare » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:54 am

Hi,

In the DIP profile you can select different combinations in order to determine the material to be used for billing.
This is done in ODP1.

Looking at your requirements it seems that the billing material is to be selected on the basis of a equipment category, together with a type of order.

Since they are not defined as a characteristic you can enhance this. Please have a look at the document for implementing the DIP. It can be found in SAP notes. I don't recall the not number. Perhaps it is stored somewhere in the faq's section.

Regards,

PSquare
psquare

Postby PJA » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:22 am

This can be done via development (we've done it before..)

PeteA
PJA

Postby amrafey » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:30 am

Psquare,

Thanks for your advice... I have gone thru the DIP profile document briefly... will take a deeper look in coming days...

Pete,

Can you advice how did you go on about with this development in your project?
amrafey

Postby PJA » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:45 am

In the RRB user-exit for material determination we determined if a specific activity type was being processed. If so, we then added a new (second) material.

The DMR then had one material for the activity type, and a second material derived in the RRB process.

Have a look at OSS Note 301117 as it has some worked examples of user-exits
Pete A
www.pjas.com
PJA

Postby smsuser » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:25 pm

I have a similar scenario where different operations are mapped in service order using standard text keys. Each standard text key is associated with its own service material in DIP profile Material determination criteria. When converting service order into billing request, corresponding material is picked up correctly with all the pricing features. Here is the challenge. Sometimes work is done during overtime. I have created regular & overtime activity types to address this. But when converting a overtime time conf into billing request it does not distinguish between regular & overtime activity type. I was thinking of adding activity type as another Material Determination Criteria in addition to standard text key and then use additional condition type to add overtime rates. But not sure if this can be done in Sales Pricing. What is the table & access sequence to use to define activity type? I tried condition table 278 & 279, but looks like 'activity type' means something else in SD Pricing. Is any other way I can achieve the same result?
smsuser

Return to Logistics PM