Material Deletion

Logistics : MM and its sub-modules (WM, IM, PO, LIS)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, Ha Tran, svetja

Chual

Material Deletion

Post by Chual » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:41 pm

Hi all,

Is there anyway we can prevent materials from 'Setting the deletion flag' if the materials are being used in any open Sales order or Purchase order ? It looks like SAP does not do these checks for setting the deletion flag but it does for complete deletion.

Thanks,

Chual

svetja

Post by svetja » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:53 am

The deletion flag is more or less just a proposal. As long you have not changed customizing for some messages, you only get a warning message when using a material with an deletion flag. The deletion flag then does not block you from doing business.

While archiving SAP does all the necessary checks to avoid deletion of a so flagged material if it is still in use.

It is not possibile to have such checks while doing the MM06.

In case the programm would do such checks, I guess you would not be able to set the deletion flag in any material what was ever used, unless you have archived all the dependend data (POs, BOMs, Inforecords ,process orders, and and and) before.

Ha Tran

Post by Ha Tran » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:34 am

Hi,

I would personally think that this is relating mostly to the process/procedure setting rather than system customization. First of all, I would assume that in your company, it is true that only one or two person(s) is/are authorized to create and therefore, maintain, delete the material master records and I am pretty sure you are fully aware of the implication of such restriction. As the result, the point is whether a clear procedure has been set so as to ensure that any deletion (or blocking) of material number shall be executed provided at least that the outstanding MM documents or BOM (if any) shall not be existed. This will, of course, enable the assurance that no potential problem will be encountered.

Cheers,
HT

Chual

Post by Chual » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:55 am

Thanks a lot for the responses. Infact we are following certain procedure to block/set Delete flag in materials. Business was just thinking if SAP by any chance provides any checks for setting a deletion flag. But it looks there is nothing like that and it has to be done only by controlled procedure.

Thanks,

Chual

QHairston

Removing the 'Delete' from the material master

Post by QHairston » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:45 am

Is there a way to remove the delete flag on the material master?

svetja

Post by svetja » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:18 am

Use again MM06 and remove the ticks