LSMW

Logistics : MM and its sub-modules (WM, IM, PO, LIS)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, Ha Tran, svetja

trevormac

LSMW

Post by trevormac » Fri May 23, 2003 1:51 am

Could any one please help me with any information on LSMW
for example how it works where do I find it etc
Thanks
Trevor

Bart

Post by Bart » Fri May 23, 2003 5:19 am

Your question has been greatly answered by Blue_forget in the topic viewtopic.php?t=39849.

Post by Guest » Fri May 23, 2003 8:44 am

Hello,

Yeah. Blue_forget did a great job there. Just something to add.

1. It has authorisation for Display, Change, Delete, Create. SO u can control usage to a certain extend.

2. Most of the objects I have used (Mat Master, PIR, Routing, Work Centre, Price Conditions, etc) allows different upload methods like direct input, bapi, idoc, etc

3. U still need to test and see whether you can use it, as some objects, like PIR, does not cater to my requirements to upload mutliple entries of prices for different periods, volume discounts, etc (or maybe i wasn't using it correctly, correct me if i'm wrong).

4. User-friendly as it is, it provides for inclusion of your own coding, e.g. to perform more complex translation/mapping referencing a custom table.

5. Transport of it can be simple import and export w/o having to transport programs (except for your custom tables and/or platform independent filenames, etc)

Cheers.

Dartan

Post by Dartan » Fri May 23, 2003 8:54 am

Hello,

That was me just now. I left out a point:

6. Powerful as it is, i usually upload my transaction data (with the exception of stock balance) through other means as more flexibility is required.

Cheers.

AG

Post by AG » Sat May 24, 2003 8:27 am

Hi Dartan,

When you say "transactional data", what exactly do you mean? Does this mean that there is a way to transfer historical data from the legacy system into SAP?

The thing is that we are planning on implementing MM, and I am supposed to do the time estimate/feasibility for the data conversion phase. I never did it before...

Thank you,
AG

Dartan

Post by Dartan » Sun May 25, 2003 9:36 pm

Hello,

Transactional data refers to your stock/inventory balance, your open purchase/sales Orders, etc. Master data refers to Material Master (MM), Price Master(MM/SD), Vendor/Customer master (MM/SD), Bank Master (FI), Cost Center (CO), G/L Master (FI), BOM (PP/SD), Routing (PP), etc.

Usually in a typical implementation, we do not upload historical data, unless it is possible and logical in business sense to do so. For example, we usually say no to uploading the history of changes from legacy system for purchase documents as such changes are kpet in a totally different manner in SAP. However, historical purchase price MAY be important in terms of vendor selection/evaluation, and this upload is much more managable from legacy to SAP.

Your decision should be based on the following (non-exhausive criteria):

1. Modules to be implemented/Business Objects to be migrated;
2. Estimated Volume of each Busness Object to be migrated;
3. Resoiurces available for migration exercise. For example, do you have ALE/IDOC expertise, enough abapers with Bapi experience, or techno functional consultants?;
4. Time of migration process, both the preparation, coding, testing phase as well as the actual cutover. Certain tools like ALE are much faster compared to others (Batch Input), so you might be forced to choose certain tools due to data volume and time constrain; and
5. Ease of data verification and error reflection during migration.

I strongly suggest you get some help from a technical person who have done migration and preferably with some SAP functional experience.

Cheers.

trevormac

LSMW

Post by trevormac » Tue May 27, 2003 2:54 am

Hi
Thanks for all the help
I have a problem with the upload of material masters. When recording the transaction MM01 I select the basic data, purchasing, stores, and accounting. The problem is when I run the batch input because when I recorded I had to page down to select the accounting screen the batch input wants me to page down how can I overcome.
Could any one help me please
Thanks Trevor

trevormac

LSMW

Post by trevormac » Tue May 27, 2003 3:11 am

How do I find blue_forget

roos

Post by roos » Tue May 27, 2003 4:29 am

Hi

Why don't you use the standard object instead of doing a recording.

The one for material create is very flexible.

Regards,

Roos

MMPP

Re: LSMW

Post by MMPP » Tue May 27, 2003 10:47 am

trevormac wrote: The problem is when I run the batch input because when I recorded I had to page down to select the accounting screen the batch input wants me to page down how can I overcome.
Could any one help me please
Thanks Trevor
Hi Trevor,

I don't think it is possible to page down in the batch input, but in IMG (material type setup) you can re-arrange the order of views presented in the screen selection box, consequently moving the accounting view up into the visible area.

Dartan

Post by Dartan » Tue May 27, 2003 8:59 pm

Hello Trevormac,

You really ought to try LSMW (after you've gone through the notes, of course). It is not difficult to use, in fact, it is usually more difficult to get the basis fellas to set it up in the system, ha ha....

The notes provide an excellent starting point on how to use the tool, and once you're using it, it is flexible to add/change/delete fields to suit muliple scenarios as well as allowing you to perform CHANGES of material master in addition to CREATE.

If you already have a system, you can run program RMDATGEN for your test material(s) just to have a fell of how the structure of the material looks like, e.g. one structure for declaration, 1 for client data, 1 for each plant level data, i for each sales org data, 1 for each type of long text, 1 for each additional uom, ........ I think you can see that the potential flexibility of using lsmw, even in a new implementation with simple data structure for material master.

Note: Direct input for material master is much faster as compared to your current method.

Cheers.

trevormac

LSMW

Post by trevormac » Tue May 27, 2003 11:43 pm

Hi thanks for the advice but where do I find the notes
I also nead to find out how the standard object works with out using a recording is it just as easy.
Thanks again
Trevor

roos

Post by roos » Wed May 28, 2003 4:09 am

Hi Trevor

The standard object works as follows;

In step (1) "Maintain object attributes" - in the field 'Object' you need to type in object 0020 and the 'Method' 0000.

In step (2) click on the create icon and call it excel or something ...

In step (3) Specify the names of your columns in your spreadsheet eg, material type
base unit of measure
material descriptiion

etc
etc

In Step (4) This is where you specify which segments of the material master you wish to create. For your first one, just click on the mandatory top 3 levels (hit the create relationship icon) and then you can try it with a simple one that just creates the basic data view (means less columns in your spreadsheet too).

In step (5) You will see a number of SAP field names. You have to link your spreadsheet field (source field) to the SAP field - by clicking on the create source field icon.

In step (6) - You can just skip this and go to 7.

in step (7) - Double click on the orange bar "Legacy data" and in the pop up window, in the field called file - do an F4 and look for your spreadsheet (saved as a text tab delimitor file). once you have retrieved it you can put anything in the description.

In the delimitor section, click on tabulator.

In the file structure untick "order of fields... " and tick on field names at the beginning of the file. Once you have done this then save.

The rest from here on in is quite intuitive but if you need a hand get back to us.

I hope this information is useful.

Regards,

Roos

AG

Post by AG » Thu May 29, 2003 9:12 am

Dartan wrote:You really ought to try LSMW (after you've gone through the notes, of course).
Dartan, where can I find the notes? Do you mean OSS notes or SAP-provided manuals?

Thanks in advance,
AG

Dartan

Post by Dartan » Thu May 29, 2003 8:47 pm

Hi AG,

You can drop me a mail at dartan7@hotmail.com. I will email you the notes. The zip file is still 1 mg though.

Cheers.