This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Base UOM of AU and Weight Unit

Logistics : MM and its sub-modules (WM, IM, PO, LIS)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, svetja, Ha Tran

Base UOM of AU and Weight Unit

Postby micheleshdwfx » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:38 am

Hi all. I'm looking for someone to educate me on how the Weight Unit works in SAP. My scenario is that we have a material using the Base UOM of AU (units). We have never used it before but my initial thought was it's like EA. Here, however, is the twist. The product received is a biologic so it's a living organism. We might receive in 1000 kgs of this stuff and one time it contains 250 AU (work units is the best way to describe it so I'm told). Another time it could contain 300 AU. So the plan is the stuff will still come in in kgs but it will also inform how many AUs that batch will equal and it will be received in AUs.

I've been asked to change the Gross Weight to 1036 kgs. Of course, I assume that the Net Weight should also be set to that figure. The Weight Unit is currently KG and I am wondering how the Weight Unit of KG will impact transacting with this material.
M :)
micheleshdwfx

Re: Base UOM of AU and Weight Unit

Postby thiswayup » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:50 am

This is a whole subject in its own right. You probably need to read the following:

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_07/helpdata/en/79/feb753128eb44ce10000000a174cb4/content.htm?frameset=/en/7d/ffb753128eb44ce10000000a174cb4/frameset.htm&current_toc=/en/7d/ffb753128eb44ce10000000a174cb4/plain.htm&node_id=68&show_children=false

In material master your AU (active units) to KG conversion should be based upon the typical number of biologic or "active" units per KG.
As you say, in reality this varies from batch to batch so you need to set up the batch class characteristic which will hold the actual conversion for each batch received (this would be entered, typically by the Quality department, either from the supplier's certificate of analysis or from your own inspection processes).

Typically the "active" unit would be an alternate rather than base. In recipes you can of course specify the requirement in AUs.

For the gross weight I assume the request comes from the fact that if you have 1000kg net it comes in drums or other containers that weigh an additional 36kg. This doesn't normally need to be a UoM conversion - just use the gross weight field on the material master, setting that to the gross weight of a base unit.
thiswayup

Re: Base UOM of AU and Weight Unit

Postby micheleshdwfx » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:27 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much for all that info. Greatly appreciated.
M :)
micheleshdwfx

Return to Logistics MM