This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

cycle count - go-live situation

Logistics : MM and its sub-modules (WM, IM, PO, LIS)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, svetja, Ha Tran

cycle count - go-live situation

Postby guest-im » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:27 pm

Hi all,

When we go live with SAP we will end up with a situation where all parts are due for CC at the same time as there is prior CC history in the system and the SAP goes by material master creation date ( which is the same date) to pick materials due for CC.

I see recommendations here on how we can smooth the workload in the first year so that SAP can propose materials due for CC from following year. I am not clear on how this smoothing is only a one time problem.

Consider this case - I have 2000 A parts ( 12 times), 3000 B parts ( 6 times) and 10000 C parts ( once a year). Suppose on the first year ( year ending Dec 2005) we manually plan that we will count so many A,B and C per day or week or month and decide to distribute the load throughout the year. We go live on Aug 15,2005, though financial year end is Dec 31,2005.

1. Do we need to count all materials before Dec 2005 ( A 12 times, B times and C once before Dec 2005), which is only 4.5 months till the end of the financial year?

2. Since SAP looks only at the current year ( jan 01 - Dec 31) for CC purpose purpose , when we run CC report again on Jan 15 2006, it will again propose all the materials as due for CC because SAP only cares when the material was counted last in the current year which is 2006. In this case, no materials were counted in 2006 before this Jan 15 date and hence it will propose all of them. In which case, we have to once again pick the materials to count based on our workload.

Is this not correct? How can the smoothing problem be addressed as a one time fix? I am not clear on this. Please help me out here.

Thanks
guest-im

Postby Mark from Quincy, IL » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:52 pm

I looked up a program that we use to perform direct update on MARD-DLINL. Here is the comments from the program, which I believe explains how we set the dates at the beginning of each year.

"This program will set the last physical inventory date, which is used
for cycle counting. The program is necessary because the annual
physical inventory will reset the last physical inventory date for all
the materials.

The program will spread out the dates (last physical inventory dates)
that the materials are proposed to be counted via cycle counting. The
program will change the date in field MARD-DLINL. The dates will be
spread out over the "interval", which is determined by the cycle
counting ABC indicator assigned to the material. The program will
group materials in the same storage bin to be counted on the same day
(as much as possible). "
Mark from Quincy, IL

Postby guest-im » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:31 pm

Svetja,

can you help with this issue?

Thanks
guest-im

Postby svetja » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:31 am

I guess you have already read my recommendations from earlier posts.
There is nothing to add about the smoothing and the first year.

Of course one can manipulate data with an ABAP report. Especially for SAP beginners I do not recommend this method. Make you experience first, before you start changing fields in the database without going thru the regular transactions. The more experience you have the less you want manipulate, trust me.
I personally wonder why SAP has not released an official note about starting with cycle count. Seems that the questions was not importent enough to ask SAP directly.

I wonder about your question 1: physical count is a legal requirement (at least where I live). Hence you have to count your materials at least once a year. If you have already done this in 2005 you do nto need to do it again just because you implemented SAP.
svetja

Postby syd » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:29 pm

Mark from Quincy, IL wrote:I looked up a program that we use to perform direct update on MARD-DLINL. Here is the comments from the program, which I believe explains how we set the dates at the beginning of each year.

"This program will set the last physical inventory date, which is used
for cycle counting. The program is necessary because the annual
physical inventory will reset the last physical inventory date for all
the materials.

The program will spread out the dates (last physical inventory dates)
that the materials are proposed to be counted via cycle counting. The
program will change the date in field MARD-DLINL. The dates will be
spread out over the "interval", which is determined by the cycle
counting ABC indicator assigned to the material. The program will
group materials in the same storage bin to be counted on the same day
(as much as possible). "

Hi Mark,

is this a SAP standard program or a customer (Z) program that you mentioned above? If its a SAP program, could you please tell me the name?
Cheers,
syd :)
syd

Postby syd » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:39 pm

svetja wrote:Of course one can manipulate data with an ABAP report. Especially for SAP beginners I do not recommend this method. Make you experience first, before you start changing fields in the database without going thru the regular transactions. The more experience you have the less you want manipulate, trust me.

Hi svetja,

Any other method/process can you recommend here other than manipulating this field data via an ABAP program? I'm not sure if there is a SAP standard report/transaction to do this?

I've a similar requirement for a client so that they are able to split the workload of counting into different buckets (dates). I really don't want to change the database via a custom ABAP if there is already an existing standard process to do it. Can you please advice?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Cheers,
syd :)
syd

Postby svetja » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:39 am

I have not seen any report from SAP to do it. And I guess I know why:
How can SAP know when you want your materials to appear in the cycle count. This can only be defined by yourself. Hence you have to write your own logic.

Usually this issue arises when starting with a SAP system. In this situation I would not really call it manipulation, better "fixing something what was forgotten to set during the dataload".
If you already used cycle count in your legacy system, (cycle count is nothing specific to SAP) then you should be able to derive the last count date from there.
In any case I see only 2 options to set this date of last inventory: By customer program, or by using a different counting method in the first year. You can simulate a cycle count using physical count. You download your materials to Excel, define there when you want count which one. Group it by date. And use the material number within one group when running e.g. MI31.

As you are having the issue, you are in the best position to ask SAP directly and share the answer with us here.
svetja

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:21 pm

Hi Mark,
You have mentioned that you were having solution via an ABAP program. Can you throw som light on that ABAP program? Is that a copy of a standard SAP program or completely custom designed? Any ideas on this would help us resolve a similar situation we are in right now.

Thanks,

Postby SCM_sniper » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:46 am

Hi everybody,

As mentionned in a lot of post, to smooth the inventory workload, an ABAP programm has to be developped and launched just before GO-Live to change the date in Production.

Everybody speak about a programm which change MARD-DLINL. It is the good approach when we speak about IM inventory, but when we speak about WM inventory, MARD-DLINL is not used by LX26/LICC: In that case, it's MSTA-ERSDA which is used.

Did somebody already create an ABAP program to update this date in MSTA? What would be the impact of changing this date? I didn't undertsand the real purpose of this date, except for the inventory.

I would really appreciate your feedback on that stuff..

Regards
SCM_sniper

Re: cycle count - go-live situation

Postby monty carlo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:59 am

I know this is an old post but after reading it I think I can propose a practical solution - or at least a start point ...
If this is a go-live situation then why not stagger the settings for cycle counting an a material basis?

E.g. instead of every material being flagged for counting from day one of go-live, why not stagger the way that you introduce the materials into the process by doing post-go-live changes in planned groups (e.g. items for every 12 months could be done in month 5 so update the master data to "switch it on" in May). The others could be spread/switched on accordingly after a bit of planning. I've never done this but the idea sounds logical

Monty
monty carlo

Return to Logistics MM