CIF sales outbound delivery

Logistics : SD and its sub-modules (Inquires, Quotes, Order Entry, SIS, Sales Contacts, Dist. & Billing)

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, mike_ac, Lost Identity

yuzuohong

CIF sales outbound delivery

Post by yuzuohong » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:14 am

Hi gurus

Is there a standard SAP procedure for CIF delivery? I mean, the goods (inventory) still belong to sales company until they are carried to the certain agreed unloading point. When should the goods issue be posted?

Any input would be highly appreciated

yu
Best, Yu

yu1336

Re: CIF sales outbound delivery

Post by yu1336 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:42 pm

for the CIF case ,u can use the POD , double check T-code VLPOD and POD-relevent in SO

yuzuohong

Post by yuzuohong » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:26 pm

Hi yu1336

Thank you for your response. But our business is not POD relevant - delivery quantity is fixed from the beginning of delivery. What's more interesting to me is when I should post the goods issue.

yu
Best, Yu

The Prince Of Darkness
Location: Either on a train or in a pub (if neither, arguing with an Eastern Block work colleague)

Post by The Prince Of Darkness » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:14 pm

yu1336 wrote:u can use the POD
Not until we've discussed rates and expenses you can't!

I think (and only guessing here as I felt the need to respond as above) the general rule is that GI should occur whn the goods leave your plant. The transfer of responsibility for the goods should then be passed to the freight company via a commercial invoice generated off the back of the GI.

I suspect, it's very country specific though.

As I said, this is a guess.
Former SAP PM, looking to move in Lawn Mower business

mike_ac

Post by mike_ac » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:58 am

CIF means the inventory is not yours to track. You are paying for the insurance & freight, but if the boat sinks, it's the customer's risk.

If you have a practice of tracking someone else's inventory for the application of secondary charges, then you may need to set up a supplemental item for the collection of the costs. You can set this up as a pseudo-inventory item if you really need to, but it seems wrong to me. It just isn't your inventory any more once it goes on board.
"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk?" –Albert Einstein, when confronted by a neat freak about the disarray in his work space