This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

New to SAP, Where to Start?

SAP Training/Certification related postings (For Registered Users Only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish

New to SAP, Where to Start?

Postby hellstorm2004 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:00 pm

Hello Everyone,

I recently decided SAP as a career path. I have recently gone through some of the overview courses available on the SAP training website. But it has only confused me more. I would like some pointers on where to start? Like there are so many different learning paths. I have a few more questions, but I can ask them later. Any pointers would be helpful.
hellstorm2004

Re: New to SAP, Where to Start?

Postby waltersen » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:21 am

Hello,

the organisation you are working for should know what education is good for you and what is not. At least you specify the area you are working in: basis, HR, MM etc.

And you functional role: Project manager, consultant, programmer, tester, requirement engineer etc. I think for a lot of these rolls you need also methodical skill. Should also know the organisation you are working with.

Regards
waltersen

Postby hellstorm2004 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:21 am

Lets say if i want to start new.... Learn it and look for a new job. Coz for all I know my company does not implement SAP at all.
hellstorm2004

Postby hellstorm2004 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:22 am

I am from programming background, so that programmer/consultant role sounds good.
hellstorm2004

Postby waltersen » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:15 am

Hello,

in my opinion you should get a good general and / or IT education. With that you apply at a organisaation that uses SAP and say: I want to to something with SAP and I am willing to learn it.

There is an ABAP trial version, free to get.

It is not recommended to get some SAP education without a proper Job. You are going to learn something that you maybe won t use or you forget it soon. You must have a living system to train. In real life you have to face things like: Different release level, missing customizing, missing authorizations, missing SAP notes, missing knowledge etc.

Regards
waltersen

Return to Education Services/Training/Certification