This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Career Advice

SAP Training/Certification related postings (For Registered Users Only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish

Career Advice

Postby ulothrix » Mon May 14, 2012 6:07 pm

Hi everyone,
I need a career advice. I have worked 6 years on different functions in production environment. Last year I have done an SAP installation for my ex-company for SAP PP module. I was kind of the bridge role between the business and the configurators. I have done projects which helped the modelling of SAP and also helped with blueprinting, but I have not done configuration myself. I really would like to learn that side of SAP as well.
Lately, I had 2 job offers which can give me this opportunity. (in PP module)
1) First one is a company which has around 20 factories and the have already implemented SAP on a few . Its a fast growing company. The want to implement SAP further in the other factories and use the first installations as a template. They want me to act as a corporate PP consultant. They have an SAP team of 6 people and a few external consultants. The external consultants are doing the configuration work. They want me to learn also configuration from the consultant whom I will work with. I will also be busy with process modellings , trainings and in the future also with help desk activities.
2) Second one is kind a government based IT company which controls the SAP activities of governments national transport business. The claim that its one of the widest and most complex SAP installation in the country. The department consists of 300-350 SAP consultants. SAP is already installed. The team is busy with improving SAP activities, doing the helpdesk activities...etc. I will start kind of in a junior role. The member of the IT team also needs to know configuration, so I will also need to learn it here. They told me that the first year will pass with learning (all transactions around PP, configuration knowledge, blueprints...etc) and trying to understand the system. From the second year on I will do SAP projects, involve in training people, playing the helpdesk..etc
The first one is big company, but small SAP IT team (8-10 people with consultants) a job mixed with business processes and some configuration.
The second one is a government as the customer and a big SAP team with more IT focused tasks. Less hands on experience regarding the processes in the beginning, but more patience for training and getting the knowledge.
Which one you think would help me for better learning the configuration part of SAP ? Which one is better for my career in the long term and the short term ?
Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks
ulothrix

Re: Career Advice

Postby Craig » Mon May 14, 2012 10:30 pm

Ok, at risk of being slammed for giving a serious reply in the GD forum I'll still give it a go.

Ditch the gov't job and go with the large company and small IT group. I have never seen or heard of a well run government project that uses excellent consultants. Most are supported by a major consulting house that uses it to train junior members and you will only find a handful of true experienced consultants who won't have the time of day for you as they'll be busy trying to keep the project afloat well enough to keep getting milestone payments from whatever branch of the government it is. Every step and thing you try to do will have to be signed off by twenty people. It'll take a month just to get your basic laptop or desktop. Your SAP security will never be right and it'll take an act of god to get you access to any transaction to play with that isn't in your very restrictive profile. Not a great place to learn.

The private large company sounds better to me. With a small team you'll be forced to learn quickly and get more of an opportunity to learn and do things yourself. You'll have much broader access in the system to learn more transactions. You'll probably get all the responsibility you want to take on and then some. A small tight knit team will be much more willing to help you learn things once they feel you are part of the team. Having a design already in place will make it easier for you to learn. They'll be more chance you'll learn the standard SAP system. Government projects tend to reinvent the wheel and customize out the a**.

If your goal is to really be a consultant, than forget the government job. If you want a possible long term project where you can do the minimum and blame someone else, the government job is your ticket. They rarely come in on time and never under budget.

IMHO

Craig
Craig

Postby Count » Tue May 15, 2012 12:01 am

well there is a another alternative,.. become a contractor with the government company... years of sitting on your backside and not doing any work,.. getting paid handsomely too ... and yes all the other perks as listed by craig apply to it...
cheers
-------------------------------------------

Count
cognosce te ipsum, corripe cervisiam ;)

Dictator-for-life-of-the-Tuly-Idiot-Order
http://www.sapfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=287109
-------------------------------------------
Count

Postby niamhallan88 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:21 am

In my opinion. it broadly depends upon you... what are your traits and what actually you want. . what i can analyze form your query is that you are actually confused which job to choose . a govt. run .... where work is less and perks are higher. of pvt one where work load is going to be high , perks too are high and responsibilities are much higher....... so its all ur decision where you fit out of the two?
niamhallan88

Postby bgamble » Tue May 15, 2012 2:52 am

Suicide is painless
In my opinion, Pepper Spray is underutilized as an effective tool for scope control
bgamble

Postby rangachary » Tue May 15, 2012 4:19 am

You want to learn and build on your experience, go for Company 1
rangachary

Postby ulothrix » Tue May 15, 2012 6:28 am

The reason why I was hesitating about the government company was they told me that they will give me intense configurator training. So that I will be able to learn different aspects of the PP module on a very complex SAP environment. If I would be a consultant already for 15 years, then I would choose a chill out job. However I am fresh in SAP world and I want to make the best out of my career. Thanks for your support.
ulothrix

Postby Craig » Tue May 15, 2012 8:00 am

Keep in mind that as a consultant configuration is a very small component of the job. In my area of QM it probably accounts for less then 10% of my activities, even in a brand new install. Some areas have more config than others. But I still think you'll find it to be a small piece of the work of a consultant. The master data setup is just as important and probably entails much more of a knowledge base.

PP does not have that much configuration.

If all you want to do is to be a techie and flip switches on and off in software, go with the gov't job and the configuration/help desk. If you want to eventually become a true consultant, do the private industry job. You'll hate me probably about 6 months into it, but in a few years you'll have a much better skill set.

IMHO

Craig
Craig

Postby ulothrix » Wed May 16, 2012 7:45 am

Craig, I really appreciate your advices and it gives me a lot of insight about the opportunities. I dont know much about the configuration part yet, so I dont know what will expect me on that side. If it's not that broad subject in the PP module then it won't take me long to figure it out. As long as I understood, what it takes to be a consultant is to know well in your area and has the mindset of problem solving skills. I guess that would be better in the private company because I will face business problems. The government company was promising a lot of training in the system and the configuration part, but just to know the configuration part wouldnt contribute me that much and its not the main part of consultancy. I will consider going for the private company. I dont mind working hard, it's especially difficult at the go-live period, but that's what it takes to build the experience.
ulothrix

Return to Education Services/Training/Certification