This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Career advice needed - moving back into SAP

SAP Training/Certification related postings (For Registered Users Only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish

Career advice needed - moving back into SAP

Postby coolpixel » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:00 am

Hi,

I am a 44 year old guy and am a senior sales manager in an IT company in UK. about 11 years back i was a SAP SD R/3 consultant and completed a couple of implementations as lead SD consultant. for the last decade i have been in industry, in sales, in outsourcing, services etc.

My career has become stagnant for the last few years not only because of my seniority but also because of market conditions. i am seriously considering re-training in SAP and getting back into SAP.

I would appreciate good feedback and comments on this, and what kind of modules i should be looking to train into, what challenges, what opportunities.

thks
coolpixel

Re: Career advice needed - moving back into SAP

Postby Jim B » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:01 am

Sounds positive - from a practical point of view. You know the business, you are out of date on the config and technology, but by no where near as much as you think you are! Employers probably do not understand this, so you need recent experience.

One, maybe two projects to be back at the top of your skills - you have stuck with the business, so it's just what has changed in SAP, which is not as much as you probably think. Find a job, even on the edge of a project, and you will be back in like a shot. The key skill, as always, is understanding the business, then understanding how SAP approach it. You have both of these, so you just need recent experience.

As usual, a training course is worth almost nil, recent experience is gold.

Jim
Jim B

Return to Education Services/Training/Certification