SAP Training or Java

SAP Training/Certification related postings (For Registered Users Only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish

vickychaudhary

SAP Training or Java

Post by vickychaudhary » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:28 am

Hello everyone,

During my masters degree course i had SAP R/3 as a subject and i have studied it well, atleast i was best in my batch. but i decided to start my career as a java developer as i had interest in development and i was good in that also, and more over i have done 6 months of internship as a java/j2ee developer . I was absorbed in that company and worked there for 1.5 yrs, but due to some issue i have to leave that job.
Now i have an opportunity in a big manufacturing company to work there as an SAP trainee for ABAP, they have already implemented SAP all over the organization, and need a team to give support.

i know SAP, which is in high demand nowadays and i am good in developing applications of java.

So i want you guys to help me in taking a decision. Should i grab this opportunity and start working on SAP, or should i stick to JAVA/J2EE jobs only.

i would really appreciate your suggestions/guidance.
vicky.

Whoa_Nellie

Re: SAP Training or Java

Post by Whoa_Nellie » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:20 am

Stick with Java. To paraphrase Yogi Berra, SAP is too crowded, noone goes there anymore.

thx4allthefish

Post by thx4allthefish » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:06 am

do SAP and combine it with JAVA. why not develop portal or WebDynpro applications ... see whether this company where you want to go has any inclination to expand their java-based SAP-applications (or start them). decide then.
curiousorange wrote: I give up. Humanity isn't worth saving. Why is there never a Vogon Constructor Fleet around when you really need one?

wilhitern1

Post by wilhitern1 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:00 pm

More skills is always much better Mo Jo. There is Java work available in SAP also. Encourage your employer to see you as a one man(in your case woman solution). The more dependent they become on you, the better for you. As for SAP being too crowded, by definition if they are hiring at an acceptable salary, then there's plenty of room. When the salaries start dropping below acceptable, then you need to start thinking about getting out. Until then keep your skills diversified and growing.
Neal Wilhite (WilhiteRN1)Image

abap_doctor

Post by abap_doctor » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:27 am

...I just want to know why you have to leave... :shock: :lol:
The Doc
Tuly Idiot Magna Grand Docot Image

vickychaudhary

Post by vickychaudhary » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:30 am

abap_doctor wrote:...I just want to know why you have to leave... :shock: :lol:
That's a long story. And It doesn't have any relation with the issue.

abap_doctor

Post by abap_doctor » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:47 am

vickychaudhary wrote:
No, but I bet it's embarrassing and funny!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Doc

vickychaudhary

Post by vickychaudhary » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:25 am

abap_doctor wrote:
vickychaudhary wrote:
No, but I bet it's embarrassing and funny!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not embarrassing, but yes funny, as its ended up in Knocking down my boss's boss(superBoss) :wink:
don't ask me reasons, otherwise we have to start a new discussion.
anyways, whats your suggestion for my problem. right now the score is 2:1, i.e. 2 for SAP and 1 for java.

abap_doctor

Post by abap_doctor » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:56 am

I know nothing of Java, but I do know SAP seems to have it's fair share of consultants at the moment...

But, as suggested above, how about doing the Java bit of SAP, I don't remember seeing many with that speciality recently... :wink:

[you do know now you have to tell us what super-boss did to deserve his/her downfall!!!] :D
The Doc

Count

Post by Count » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:28 pm

yup yup doc's right as always,.... to add to his comments,.. I wud say java-webdynpro and abap-webdynpro,... ... would be a nice option for you.
-------------------------------------------

Count
cognosce te ipsum, corripe cervisiam ;)

Dictator-for-life-of-the-Tuly-Idiot-Order
viewtopic.php?t=287109
-------------------------------------------

thx4allthefish

Post by thx4allthefish » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:21 pm

abap_doctor wrote: But, as suggested above, how about doing the Java bit of SAP, I don't remember seeing many with that speciality recently... :wink:
they are few and far in between. sophisticated ones that know how to apply their java and also care about complicance ... yadda ... and are able to do performant, scalable and easy-in-maintenance applications are ... well: we're on a downward count to zero here ...

... go there, i'm waiting ...
curiousorange wrote: I give up. Humanity isn't worth saving. Why is there never a Vogon Constructor Fleet around when you really need one?

vickychaudhary

Post by vickychaudhary » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:45 am

Now i think i should go for SAP job, and side by side i will prepare myself for java-webdynpro and abap-webdynpro, and if i will have enough time i will also do sun certified java programmer(SCJP) certification, They all will keep updating my java knowledge and skills.
As i am not in a hurry to do all of these things right now.... i will invest atleast 1-2 years with the current SAP employer, and convince them to switch over to JAVA implementation, if they don't then i will switch. And i don't think that there will be much problem in getting JAVA-SAP implementation job then.

Thanks everybody, for your time and such nice & genuine suggestions, And Thanks 'thx4allthefish' for showing me a new way which i was not aware of.
I am really happy now see......... :D
Thanks again