SAP BI Technical Consultant or Netweaver Technology consulta

SAP Training/Certification related postings (For Registered Users Only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish

hussy9

SAP BI Technical Consultant or Netweaver Technology consulta

Post by hussy9 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:02 am

Currently working as Basis Consultant have 2 years of exp. I am confused which one of the following would have better prospects for future.
SAP BI Technical Consultant or Netweaver Technology consultant.
With BI Technical consultant I can later become a Techno/function.
And with NW I can become NW architect or Solution/application consultant.
I believe BI is red hot right now but again it will restrict me to one module in NW, but again its a specialization.
NW consultant has wide range and will always be in demand.
So I would love to have your word on this one , what would be wise decision for me even considering my basis background (2 years).

wilhitern1

Re: SAP BI Technical Consultant or Netweaver Technology consulta

Post by wilhitern1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 am

I wouldn't get that hyper about it. I've been an ABAPer, Basis, and PS functional all because my own company transplanted me. If you will be open to new things, every company would rather retrain you than try to hire a 125/hr consultant to do it. This of course assumes that you are willing to be a permanent employee.
Neal Wilhite (WilhiteRN1)Image

hussy9

Post by hussy9 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:55 pm

In India your employer never put you in a module in which you dont have exp.
I wan to move on and take up other specialization .
I have completed 2 years so this is right time and want to make sure its right.

wilhitern1

Post by wilhitern1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:13 pm

Honestly, I have yet to see a specialization in SAP that I would trust a person in who had less than 4 years. That's why I don't talk much about my PS specialization. I was in it for almost 2 years and took three quarters of the core courses. Only a fool would trust me un-supervised on their PS system. But then, there appear to be fools born every day.

It may be much different in India. Maybe one of your country men will pipe in next.

hussy9

Post by hussy9 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:28 pm

I am sorry but you didnt get me. :cry:
When i said specializatiojn that ment as in a module I want to study in deep and be in expret or w.e. you call it.
I dont care how many ever years it take. :roll:

How ever it hardly answers my Question. Which is the choice between SAP BI Technical Consultant or Netweaver Technology consultant.
If you could comment on that as well. :?:

wilhitern1

Post by wilhitern1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:38 pm

I'm a coder, so my answer is going to be very biased. I imagine that NW would keep you closer to the code, so that is where I'd go. In the end every functional area and Basis form are just code. The real power is in the code. If I have the ability (authorizations) to do my job, then authorizations don't actually limit me. That's why i always say, "If you don't trust your coders, Fire them!"

Hope someone wiser will see your request and write back.

hussy9

Post by hussy9 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:39 pm

I also hope so :p

thx4allthefish

Post by thx4allthefish » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:24 pm

i do not know how much experience with basis you can have after only doing it for two years. or what exactly you call 'basis' for that matter ... i've been doing it for 16 years now and i wouldn't trust myself with everything to which the label 'basis' could apply. 'everything' being a euphemism of some kind here ... actually i do not think i know more than 10% of what is out there to know (and even this statement might be called exaggerating).

anyway: having done what you call 'basis' for 2 years would suggest you go deeper into netweaver technology. of course, at some point you will find you cannot cover all OS that are there, neither all RDBMs, let alone the possible combinations of them AND a SAP-system (of whatever release ...) on top. but since you have been following that line already why waste what knowledge you have gained up to now? (unless you are totally bored with the whole thing, then think of a complete change of tracks).

when it all comes down to dust, people who know how to do a crahs-recovery without making a fuzz or relying on SAP for help are always in demand, so my advice would be: go netweaver.
curiousorange wrote: I give up. Humanity isn't worth saving. Why is there never a Vogon Constructor Fleet around when you really need one?

wilhitern1

Post by wilhitern1 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:02 am

FISH! 16! That would put you way back into 2.0. What I wouldn't give to trade notes with you. I only go back to 3.0C.

thx4allthefish

Post by thx4allthefish » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:42 am

wilhitern1 wrote:FISH! 16! That would put you way back into 2.0. What I wouldn't give to trade notes with you. I only go back to 3.0C.
even worse, i started with R/2 4.3G ... for R/3 it was 2.2 :)
curiousorange wrote: I give up. Humanity isn't worth saving. Why is there never a Vogon Constructor Fleet around when you really need one?

wilhitern1

Post by wilhitern1 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:36 am

Anyway, What this means is if Fish says it, you better put money in it. I've got some friends who have worked with him and would bet their lives on him.