This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

B2B scenario - basic questions

All postings related to SAP XI

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

B2B scenario - basic questions

Postby Gunterdd » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:52 am

Hi experts,
My question is a really basic question, sorry in advance. I'm a functional SAP consultant and it is my 1st approach, and unfortunately, no SAP PI expert around me...
My company wants to implement a B2B scenario with one of his partner that works on SAP as well. I already have worked in the past with EDI messages exchanged through EDI subsystems (translator, router...), so this could be a scenario, but i want to be sure that there is not another solution to think about.

Can SAP PI prevent the 2 partners to communicate through standard EDI messages (EDIFACT, ...) , so not to make use of a EDI subsystem to map Idocs to EDI messages?
If yes, can anyone explain how a standard B2B process can work with SAP PI (please don't be too technical!).
Do both partners need to have SAP NW PI?

Thanks in advance.
Gunterdd

Re: B2B scenario - basic questions

Postby Baz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:12 am

No. both partners do not need to have SAP PI. you can do IDOC to IDOC without using EDI. or even IDOC to BAPI or BAPI to IDOC. SAP to SAP through PI gives plenty of scope. if you already have PI and your strategy is to use PI for ECC connections, then follow this.

however depending on your security requirements, you may not be allowed to expose PI directly from inside your network. you may need to use a decentralised Adapter engine and expose this in your DMZ. you may have to use a reverse proxy to direct the inbound message into your SAP Pi system.

there are a whole bunch of technical considerations to be taken into account before you know whether or not SAP PI is required. your company may allow access to your system via SAPRouter! speak to your Basis/network security team to get advice.
Baz

AsPiRiNg tUlY iDiOt Image

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

check out my Podcasts http://dj-baz.podomatic.com
Baz

Re: B2B scenario - basic questions

Postby Gunterdd » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:58 am

Baz wrote:No. both partners do not need to have SAP PI. you can do IDOC to IDOC without using EDI. or even IDOC to BAPI or BAPI to IDOC. SAP to SAP through PI gives plenty of scope. if you already have PI and your strategy is to use PI for ECC connections, then follow this.

however depending on your security requirements, you may not be allowed to expose PI directly from inside your network. you may need to use a decentralised Adapter engine and expose this in your DMZ. you may have to use a reverse proxy to direct the inbound message into your SAP Pi system.

there are a whole bunch of technical considerations to be taken into account before you know whether or not SAP PI is required. your company may allow access to your system via SAPRouter! speak to your Basis/network security team to get advice.

Hi,
I may need to be more specific on my question.

Reading some documentations (but not too detailed), i know that the following have been set up on other exchanges between another company code and one of his customer. Unfortunately, i don't have their SAP system to investigate what has been set up.
I would like to run such interfaces as well between my CC and his main customer.

Inbound interfaces
Different directories by message type have been set up on a FTP server.
1/The customer sends XML files on the FTP server (on each directories)
2/A job is scheduled (with a Z* program) to integrate the XML files into IDOCS
3/Function modules (standard or specific) like IDOC_INPUT_ORDERS or Z_IDOC_INPUT_ORDERS run to process the idoc depending upon combination of Message type, message code and message function.

Outbound interfaces
Different directories by message type have been set up on a FTP server.
1/IDocs are triggered (depending on triggering conditions) and transmitted to XML port
2/ they are transformed to XML files through a function module Z* (inspired from FM: IDOCS_OUTPUT_IN_XML_FORMAT) whatever the message type.
3/The XML file is created in the right directory on the FTP server (apparently thanks to customizing in WE20).
4/ The customer automatically retrieves the message.

Is it possible to run such interfaces without XI on our side/on customer's side?
I may then be wrong on the forum (SAP PI/XI), but if the answer to my question is yes, anybody can guide me how to set up these scenariis? (same topic raised as well on the 'interfaces' forum, just in case)
Q1: where to set up FTP ...
Q2: port -i suppose XML port - as many port as there are directories on the ftp server? useful as well for inbound interfaces?
Q3: Is these exchanges considered as ALE or EDI, and then should i define the partner profile for my customer as a customer type or logical system ?
Q4: Would all my settings be different if the customer partner runs SAP or not (note that in my business case, it runs SAP)?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Gunterdd

Return to SAP Process Integration (SAP PI/XI)