This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

SEM-BPS: Transfering actual data to a Transactional InfoCube

All postings related to SEM only

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

SEM-BPS: Transfering actual data to a Transactional InfoCube

Postby gcheng » Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:54 am

Is it possible to transfer data between two different InfoCubes (with different structures) using the Multi Planning Area concept within SEM-BPS? I'm trying to pull actual data from a Basic InfoCube into a Transactional InfoCube which has extra characteristics designed to support higher detailed planning. What are my options?

Tks!
gcheng

Postby Anthony » Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:37 pm

Probably best to try out what you are trying to do in your sandpit but using the Multi area it is possible to bring two cubes together which do not have the same structure. It is probably advisable to have at least one characteristic which is common to both though. After that your options are almost without limit in terms of agregating data or combining keyfields etc. SEM functionality does not have the problems associated with BW multicubes which must share many characteristics to work properly.
Anthony

Postby Guille » Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:25 am

In my previous project we performed a similar copy succesfully (the only difference is that it was the basic infocube the one with more characteristics).
Guille

Postby schalasani » Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:38 am

It still should be possible.. the larger cube can be on either side.. let us know if u run into any specific issues..

Satish Chalasani
schalasani

Postby SAPBWSEM » Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:58 pm

I am feeding my SEM transaction cube from 3 BW basic cube in SEM3.1B / BW 3.0B using data mart concept. i.e. create export datasource from the basic cube and update rule to the SEM transaction cube. But you have to switch the batch mode (right mouse click -> switch transaction cube to
Transaction cube can be loaded with data, planning not allowed and switch back to planning mode after you loaded the data.

Rgds,
MH
SAPBWSEM

Postby damodar » Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:19 pm

Hi TKS

You cann't copy the actual data between a basic cube and transaction cube with two different structures using the copy function in Multi Planning Area.

The option is to create a basic cube by referencing the transaction cube. Then link the new basic cube to the basic cube through data mart, from which you want to get data.

Now you have both the new basic cube and transaction cube has same structures.

After that you have two options.

1. Create a multiplanning area between the new basic cube and transaction cube and use copy function to copy the data.

2. Refer to OSS Note 364598 Scenario B.

Both the options work if you are using SEM 3.0 and BW 2.1C. If you are using SEM3.1 and BW 3.0, as mentioned in earlier replies, you can load the data using update rules.

Thanks
Damodar
damodar

Return to SEM