This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Share caital unknown at time of acquisition?

All postings related to SEM only

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

Share caital unknown at time of acquisition?

Postby Hot Asien Teen » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:17 am

Hello,

If anyone has seen this I would be very thankful to know how you handled it.

We are process improving with a bit of new functionality, but its not really a system question more of a process question.

essentially what happens is that a company is purchased, however, the buyer does not kow the full amount of the aquisition. The buyer therefore posts 1gbp share capital in, in order to correctly mark the period of aquisition in the heirarhies. They then wait until the investment has been settled, and posts the full amount in later. (Purchase method with group shares).

This means that the system thinks there is a huge amount of negative goodwill, as the actual trial bal of the company greatly exceeds the amount paid. It also means we have massive amounts of manual corrections and re-classes.

Has anyone heard of this kind of nonsense before?
Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking.

Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.
Hot Asien Teen

Postby dans » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:14 am

I suggest that the initial entry for investment coincide with the percent of subsidiary equity for the acquisition to avoid goodwill initially. Once the final investment is determined, update the investment balance as well as subsidiary equity as an increase or decrease in capital.
dans

Postby Hot Asien Teen » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:43 am

Thanks. Really.
Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking.

Hot Asien Teen

Postby Hot Asien Teen » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:52 am

A bit further along...

We have time stamped heirarchies here. So in order to see the acquisition represented correctly from the period of acquisition, they post an initial consolidation with 1£ share capital. When the bean counters have finished counting the beans, and the know how much it is worth, they post a subsequent consolidation which generates the goodwill entries and MI etx.

It seems to be quite a standard practice.

Hot Asien Teen

Return to SEM