This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Opp accounts or Cons account into BCS?

All postings related to SEM only

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

Opp accounts or Cons account into BCS?

Postby Hot Asien Teen » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:25 am

Hello,

We are currently debating which level of detail we want to take into the consolidation system. I am promoting a multi-tier architecture where we bring in legacy system data directly to a BW PSA in local curr and opperational account.

The powers that be are recommending that we bring in the group account only. I would think this would limit the effectivness of the tool, not to mention that corrections, adjustments, and sign-off would all take place on group accounts, which no one knows because no one has worked with it.

Can anyone jsutify or rebuke my opinion? what are the you'all doin?
Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking.

Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.
Hot Asien Teen

Postby dans » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:04 am

I've used both group accounts and operational. My preference is for the operational because it is easier to reconcile back to the source transactional data.

With group accounts it is also possible to bring in the operational account as a sub-assignment for the source data. This way the consolidation transactions are at the group level, but the details of the source data is not lost entirely.
dans

Postby Hot Asien Teen » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:52 am

Here is the thinking we are doing about it. maybe it'll help

Issue: Decision not to include Operational account in the Consolidation Environment
The current thinking is that the operational account is not required in the BW/BCS consolidation environment. This will severely limit the level of which the solution is future proof:
1) SPEED TO CLOSE
the speed to close is dependent on the consolidation process's ability to identify and resolve issues. The group account is not used or known by the operations, and a consolidated level of data without drill-down and drill-back functionality will not allow issues that arise in consolidation to be handled efficiently. Also issues identified on group account level will need to be resolved by the business, who are only familiar with the data on operational account level. Which means once an issue is identified at group level, the process of resolution by the business will be a time consuming compilation of excel reports and access databases to identify the erroneous item.
2) DATA CONTROL
Consolidation at group account level only can be compared to looking only at the tip of an iceberg. Most of the activities occur well before the data is at group level ready for the consolidation activities. Bringing in operational accounts, even if they are not presented, allows the tracking, monitoring and enforcement of the consolidation process at a much earlier level. It also allows for change controls at the data at each stage of the process, with change logs and SARBOX compliant controls.
3) FUTURE PROOF
Although TAX and STAT reporting are not in scope at this point in time, choosing not to bring in operational accounts is not a decision which can be changed at a later point in time. Not importing the operational account as part of the data basis will forever limit this BW/BCS environment to being a group account. Operational accounts are needed for TAX accounting, which is required for Regulatory Accounting and in most cases Stat. as well.
4) NOT A PERFORMANCE ISSUE; NOT A USER ISSUE
If the hardware landscape is sized correctly at the outset, performance will not be an issue when using operational account. Additionally, the aggregation functionality that is standard in the BW/BCS systems, means that group finance will not have to see the operational account in their view of the consolidation activities. They do however have the ability to offer the information to legacy systems when there are errors or adjustments which require them.
Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking.

Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.
Hot Asien Teen

Return to SEM