This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

SEM-BPS: Anybody using the Allocation Functionality

All postings related to SEM only

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

SEM-BPS: Anybody using the Allocation Functionality

Postby atw » Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:14 am

Hi,
Anybody out there using the Allocation and Distribution planning functions.

I want to know the difference between the two (they seem to produce the same end result).
thanks
Atw
atw

allocations vs distributions

Postby semmgr » Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:13 am

Hi,

In its simplest form, allocations go against a SINGLE characteristic. Distributions go across MULTIPLE characteristics.

Hope that helps.

Rob Janson
semmgr

Postby Guille » Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:46 am

I have never used a distribution, but one difference I can see from the documentation is that in the distribution there is no distinction between trigger and sender, which means that the figures distributed or allocated (the trigger) cannot be debited on a different characteristic combination (the sender), they will always be debited on the same characteristic combination where they were found.
Guille

Postby SAPBWSEM » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:47 pm

I was working with both allocation and distribution functions on my last SEM-BPS project and had to figure out the differenct between the 2.
The difference in concept is based on R/3 CO.

Allocation function usually summarized the information and you can post them to a different/separate secondary cost element / account. The debit and credits are grouped so that you only have 1 generated record for each combination of characteristics. You can also debit and credit only the secondary cost element/ account so the whole trail can be seen.

Distribution function treat it record by record and distribute each according to the function. So the original account/ cost center / etc combination you are distributing from would be zerod out and the distributed amount(s) shown. This create far more records since you have have multiple records for the same characterstics combination whereas in allocation you would have only 1.

Regards,
Mary
SAPBWSEM

Return to SEM