This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Defects recording. Business viewpoint

Logistics QM

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, Ha Tran

Defects recording. Business viewpoint

Postby martin79 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:09 am

Dear all.

In order to implement the usage of defect recordings in an implementation where it was not used before, I would like to be able to explain the management the advantages from a business point of view. For example, how will this streamline better the processes, help us with reporting (SAP QMIS) customer relationship, and so on.

Please give me your business-oriented opinions. I am not interested in the actual step by step process, but in your actual opinions based on your thoughts, ideas and experience.

Thanks!
martin79

Re: Defects recording. Business viewpoint

Postby Craig » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:30 am

It all depends on what you intend to do with this data once you have it and exactly what defects you intend to track.

Simply turning on defect recording for OOS characteristics probably won't net you a lot as my guess is there is probably already a process for monitoring things that don't pass spec. If you want some simpler values however, (i.e. number failures, not necessarily the actual value), or if for a given MIC the specs can vary widely from material to material, you might use this to simplify the analysis of issues.

If you are talking about widgets and where for instance an inspection characteristic of appearance can fail for many different things, the defects recorded can play an important roll. For instance, if you suddenly see that the number of left-side scratches increase on your produced washing machines goes up, it might indicate an alignment problem on a conveyor belt or timing issue on the material movement process.

If however, you have no process for investigating, following up and acting on the defects, it doesn't matter how nice, or great your design is. Also, the benefits of defect recording probably won't be realized until 9 mos to a year has passed. Simply because your first year you are learning how to use them, tweaking your defect catalogs and codes and establishing a baseline of quality. Until you know your baseline quality, it's difficult to know what issues to tackle and what the savings would be from resolving any particular issue.

Craig
Craig

Re: Defects recording. Business viewpoint

Postby martin79 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:16 am

Thank you Craig. The example with the washing machines is very useful. I will use a catalog for defect locations. Thank you for your ideas!
martin79

Return to Logistics QM