This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

QM inspection lots with Co-Products scenario

Logistics QM

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, Ha Tran

QM inspection lots with Co-Products scenario

Postby AKelly » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi all,
At my client, they have a combined order/family molding production scenario. I know the DIMP solution has combined order functionality, but unfortunately, we can't activate the DIMP solution in this environment. We are testing a solution using co-products, but when we release the order, we get 2 04 inspection lots (1 for each material) which is desired, and we only get 1 03 in process inspection lot (for the first material). Has anyone done this scenario before and triggered 2 03 insp lots?
AKelly

Re: QM inspection lots with Co-Products scenario

Postby Craig » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:55 am

I'm convinced you won't be able to get two 03 lots.

I've never tried it with co-products but have you tried setting the "comtrol inspection lot" setting to "early lot release" for the 04 inspection type of the products? If it creates both 04 lots early for you, (or at least of the co-products), what I've done is set up two operations, each with different work centers in the inspection plan. One for in-process testing and one for final testing. Operators make recordings against the tests in the first operation, while lab techs record final inspection results against the second operation.

But being a co-product early lot release might not work with it.

Craig
Craig

Postby AKelly » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:55 pm

Early lot release does work, but 04 inspections don't seem to support partial lots whereas the 03 does. Ugh, why can't everything be simple!
AKelly

Postby Craig » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:46 am

Bite your tongue! if it was all simple, no one would need us consultants!!!

Yes. partial lots are not supported in the 04. But you can use inspection points if that helps at all.

Craig
Craig

Postby AKelly » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:22 am

LOL well "end user simplicity" and "simplicity for me" are two different things! I have years to go to get to an expert level, but through the 4 years of projects I have found several items I wish were standard, but I will graciously stayed employed and keep these items in my pocket :)

For the co-products issue, we are thinking through a custom design to trigger an 03 and an 89 lot for the in process. Will report back if it goes well. Thanks for the help Craig!
AKelly

Postby Craig » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:57 pm

I had a thought on the co-products 03. It might take some development. But I think they'll be fairly easy and straight forward. Maybe something like the following:

Create the co-product as an intermediate material, not a FG. I don't think you even have to batch manage the intermediate. Then at order release of the primary product, have a development that creates and releases a process order for the FG co-product that will consume the co-product intermediate. Maybe even setup a separate order type for this. This will create an 03 for the FG co-product. Use this to record the 03 testing.

When you GR the co-product intermediate product off the primary process order, (another user exit) have a development immediately issue the intermediate co-product to the FG order for the FG co-product, and then do the GR for the order. In this way, the co-product intermediate should really never have any stock. As soon as it is receipted, it gets issued right away to the co-product order. But yet you'll have an 03 for the co-product material via the original release of the co-product order. The co-product FG could also have an 04 lot as well if you want.

Craig
Craig

Postby AKelly » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:41 am

Thanks Craig. I was also thinking through some options and working with our PP person to figure something out. We are also looking at possibly doing a collective orders approach with some development. Currently, standard collective orders doesnt allow GR against the original orders...so that wouldn't work too well. We're thinking regardless of whatever we go, since we can't use DIMP anymore, there will have to be some dev work involved to get things to function the way we desire with this unique business process.
AKelly

Postby DSamson » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:11 pm

Craig and AKelly,

I came across this as I was searching for an answer to a related question.

Craig, long time no speak - how are you doing?

The issue I have is that we have production orders that consume a raw item and produce a number of co-products, one of which we designate as the "main" product. The others are all shown as co-products with the expected quantities in negatives in the Production Order.

I have 04 inspections with early lot creation active for all the materials, but what I am finding is that at order release, the system only creates the insepction lot for the "main" product, not for the co-products. Only at the time of GR from the Production Order do the Co-product Inspection lots get created.

Am I doing something wrong or is this the way things work? It won't help us much if we can't get the early lots for the co-products, as they require testing alongside the "main" product.

Thanks!

Dennis
Dennis Samson
Snr SAP QM/PLM Consultant
Idhasoft Inc
Irvine, CA
DSamson

Return to Logistics QM