This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

batch level conversion

Logistics QM

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, Ha Tran

batch level conversion

Postby saprega » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:06 pm

Hi,
Has anyone ever successfully done a batch level conversion from client to material level ? If yes how was it done and what were all the things to look out for ?
Thanks
saprega

Re: batch level conversion

Postby Craig » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:57 am

Client level to material level should not be any issue. I've done a plant level to material level conversion which is a real pain.

But since all your batches are already unique at client level, dropping back to material level should present no issues.

There is a "TEST" mode that you can run to see what issues you might encounter.

Craig
Craig

Postby saprega » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:11 pm

Hi Craig,
Thanks for ur reply. The batch conversion program button in OMCT gets greyed out when the batch level is changed from client to material so there is no test option. I thought of the same thing as yiu thought as regards to there being no problem as the batches are already unique and the class type remains 023 as well. However is it really as simple as just a "flip of a switch" to make this change and then operate at the new level ?

Thanks
saprega

Postby ask » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:35 pm

My answer is YES.
Make sure business users are aware of the new numbering schema and check if there are any dependencies built in the system, assuming client level batch numbering. Otherwise you are good to go once you flip the config.
Anand
ask

Postby saprega » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:06 pm

Ok thanks...thats been my thinking all along but I need to prove to the client that its not just a "hunch" but its really as simple as a switch.
Another related thing is that in all of SAP notes and SDN and other forum posts, the issue is always going from plant to material. And everyone talks about the conversion program RM07CHDX.
Has anyone used it and how does one interpret it ?
Is it the only one conversion program which works in all the directions ?
Does the program do anything to existing batches or does it just report out confilcts?
When I run it is says "Conversion could not be performed.... For xxxxx batches, no unique material definition could be determined". And the comment column shows the batch status. I followed some of the steps in program documentation (like doing a 309 to another batch and then setting the deletion flag on a duplicate batch) and then reran the program, but the number of conflicts dont reduce. Am I doing the right and complete set of steps ?

Thanks
saprega

Postby Craig » Wed May 01, 2013 7:50 am

Sorry to take so long to get back.. not checking here very often any more.

The program if I remember does not make corrections. If it does not run cleanly, the conversion is not done.

You have to "fix" everything manually. But since you are going the direction you are, there shouldn't be any conversion errors. That could be why SAP doesn't even allow you to run it in test mode as they know it can't have any errors from a technical perspective.

Craig
Craig

Return to Logistics QM