This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

How to handle same characteristic tested twice

Logistics QM

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, Ha Tran

How to handle same characteristic tested twice

Postby MIGO101 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:49 pm

Dear experts,
In my company (paint business) after producing a 'Resin' a sample is tested for specific gravity. Also the same sample is mixed with a 'Cure' and again the specific gravity is measured.
Business user want to report both the results of specific gravity (straight and mixed) on the certificate of 'Resin' batch for the customer.
In SAP we are passing the results from inspection lot to batch by linking the MIC with class characteristics and the only solution that I am thinking to solve this is by creating two class characteristics like 'Specific gravity unmixed' and 'Specific gravity mixed' and assign it to two different MICs.
I know it is not proper to duplicate the same class characteristic twice with a different name. I would appreciate if any body can share a better solution for this requirement. :roll:

Thanks inadvance.
PS: Specific gravity is just an example, but there are several other characteristics per batch and all those are tested twice.
MIGO101

Re: How to handle same characteristic tested twice

Postby ask » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:01 pm

Having two seperate chars to clearly identify two different conditions sounds fine. In fact, if you force it on business to confine to only one, you might have trouble later on.
What issues did you envisage for having such pairs of chars?
Anand
ask

Postby MIGO101 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:51 am

ask wrote:Having two seperate chars to clearly identify two different conditions sounds fine. In fact, if you force it on business to confine to only one, you might have trouble later on.
What issues did you envisage for having such pairs of chars?

Appreciate your reposne. Technically there is no issue in duplicating a characteristic in same batch class, but procedurally if a MIC is tested again using a different method, I think the proper way is to repeat the same MIC in inspection plan but with a different method assignment.
If you think in that aspect, the MIC = specific gravity, but method1 = straight test, method2 = mixed test. But the limitation in SAP is we cannot create the batch class with class characteristics and the method combination (like in inspeciton plan). So, the only way that I think is to create 2 different class characteristics.
MIGO101

Postby Craig » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:48 pm

Having worked for a major paint compounded, I agree with ask.

This should be two different characteristics.

I would suggest that in SAP it was always meant that a test was unique by method/decimals/UOM.

You can have one method assigned to multiple tests or characteristics. But you shouldn't have the same test using multiple methods.

In your case the substance being tested for sp Gr in the second test is totally differnt than the first test on the resin. Different methods should equal a different test.

The exception to this is across plants. And only because a plant can have their own internal numbers for referencing methods. I.e the cure test in plant A and cure test in plant B should be the same test as they use the same method. But plant A might refer to plant method R-2304 while plant B uses the same method but the method reference number is M-2304.

I hope that makes sense.

Crag
Craig

Postby MIGO101 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks for your response Craig.
MIGO101

Return to Logistics QM