This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Early lot Inspection for process order

Logistics QM

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, Ha Tran

Early lot Inspection for process order

Postby chrisn » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:39 am

OK here's the scenario. The plant creates a process order for each days production. During the production they produce 4 batches a day. What we would like to do is to have 4 seperate early inspections created (one for each new batch)

I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to do this without having them confirm so partial quantity in order to create the inspection lot.

Any ideas?
chrisn

Re: Early lot Inspection for process order

Postby Craig » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:47 pm

I've seen this asked before and basically the answer is no can do.

You must either create four separate process orders, or do a minimal GR for each separate batch.

Craig
Craig

Postby chrisn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:03 pm

Craig I know you have mentioned that one big process order per month is not a good thing can you expand on why I'm not that well versed in PO to know what shortfalls they may have doing this
chrisn

Postby Craig » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:39 am

The biggest problem I have with it is traceibility and on the production side, costing.

1) since you have one order, all raw materials consumed basically go into all finished batches confirmed. Even though we know this is not true. Not good from a traceability persepective or for doing product anaylsis and performance measures.
2) Costing and variances. It can make production look better than it really is. Since waste, scrap and costs become averaged over the month, variances become lower and costs are averaged out across more product. If you have an order per batch, you will have more variability per order. A wider range of "cost of product". While in both scenario's the average cost of a batch (on a monthly basis), should be about the same, the variance, (std deviation if you will), in cost per batch produced would not be. When production is not consistent, monthly orders make them look better.
3) Monthly orders typically require you create batches at GR time to get individual inspection lots. So you can't pre-assign batch numbers to process orders. This can often influence labelling and bag printing. If manually enterred and not system produced you can have transcription errors. If system produced at GR you probably can't label product as it is being produced. Care and timing must be considered in the labelling process. Assigning a system batch number at order creation time and interfacing to a labelling system to use during production can practically eliminate typing and transcription errors while saving lots of time on the production floor. That time needs to be compared to the extra time to deal with multiple orders to see if having monthly orders really is a time saver. Which is the bigger bang for the buck? Which process ensures the best quality of the process?

The one process where I think monthly orders can make sense is for tank farm operations or some bulk operations where you make material in smaller reactor batches and then pump it into big storage tanks where all the batches get merged anywhere.

Hope this helps.

Craig
Craig

Postby morkwa » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:41 am

Hi,

You have to cancel the first inspection lot created. Afterwards you will be able to create a new one out of the process order. The second one has to be cancelled as well in order to create a third one, etc. Once all required inspection lots are created, you have to reset the cancellation of all previously created inspection lots.

Please let me know when you need some more information.

Regards.
morkwa

Return to Logistics QM