Shelf life by country

Logistics QM

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, Ha Tran

chrisn

Shelf life by country

Post by chrisn » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:08 pm

I have a request from one of our businesses to manage shelf life of batches by country. It seems that some countries have tighter shelf life requirements than others.

I don't see any standard way of doing this when a batch goes from one country to the next and the shelf life needs to be changed.

Anyone have any ideas?

I guess it would be possible to move to another material number with a different shelf life but I doubt they would want to do that.

ask

Re: Shelf life by country

Post by ask » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Are you looking at a hard static date? Well, the shelf life expiration is the guarantee by the manufacturer that the batch will hold its attributes under stipulated conditions. That value should remain the same and the source plant should stand by it. When you talk about different countries accepting or rejecting batches based on remaining shelf life, would you consider playing around to figure out if there could be different routines based on the country in which the product is being received? Or is it just the right Batch determination strategy while sending the batch out would do it?
I am certain you must have looked at multiple specs, but that is another soft way to do this.
Anand

Craig

Post by Craig » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:12 pm

Interesting problem. I would agree with Anand in that this can probably only be handled by a batch characteristic. There is no reason you can't create some characteristics for this. Like EXP_DATE_BRAZIL, EXP_DATE_IRELAND, EXP_DATE_CHINA etc... I haven't tried a dependency using a date but it might be possible to create a dependency where EXP_DATE_BRAZIL = LOBM_HSDAT - 30. Than another for EXP_DATE_IRELAND = LOBM_HSDAT + 10, etc. etc.. So in that way there would be no need to manually enter them. If the formula can't be done I am sure an ABAP'er can easily write a procedure for this to be used. You could then simply report the correct characteristic value as just another characteristic on the COA. Probably as the first characteristic in the COA. Change the text for the characteristic in the COA profile so it prints "Best used by:" or "Expiration Date:"

Your batch search strategies can use the country as part of the access sequence (as can COA profile access sequences), so you could create batch search strategies unique to the material/country. Or even just the country. Rather then using the characteristic expiration date for the country in these search strategies, just use the standard LOBM_HSDAT. But in each country you offset the reamaining shelf life required by the country difference. So if the expiration is one year normally, but Brazil allows 1.5 years, you set the shelf life to 365 days which would give a value of say 3/27/2013 if made today. The dependency value for the EXP_DATE_BRAZIL would calculate a value of LOBM_HSDAT + 180 = approx 11/27/2013. The batch search strategy requirement would show the number of days left as -180 which is the number of days that has to be remainng on the batch.

Craig

chrisn

Post by chrisn » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:56 am

Thanks guys I'll take a look at these. I don't have the full requirements from the business yet so I'mnot sure of the details.