VOC data on Quality certificates in chemical industries

Logistics QM

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, Ha Tran

MIGO101

VOC data on Quality certificates in chemical industries

Post by MIGO101 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:31 am

Hi,
My client is a chemical industry and they need to print this VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) data on some of their quality certs due to legal requirements from carriers. I guess this is standard for any checmical industry.
I was wondering if anyone has experience in creating quality certificates with VOC data printed on them. They are not part of inspection characteristics, so I guess they should be maintained in a separate table or such. If anyone is working in Chemical industry that has this requirements please throw your input here on how you are printing this info on certs.

Thanks

Donk

Re: VOC data on Quality certificates in chemical industries

Post by Donk » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:34 am

Hello,

Not certain this is a requirement across the chemical industry, but since you're not including this as an inspection characteristic, I'd assume you can maintain this as additional text in the material master (e.g., inspection text), QM/SD info record, etc. There's a number of ways to go about reporting a value like this... this is a material specific value, correct?

Regards,
John

MIGO101

Post by MIGO101 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:10 am

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply, yes these are material specific values. Do you know the easiest way to store this and get them onto certificates in SAP ?

Thanks

Donk

Post by Donk » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:08 am

Hello,

I think the standard certificate form provided as a copy model will display text maintained in the 'inspection text' (additional data) of the material master. If you retained this when building any custom SAPScript forms for CoA's, then you'll already have a material specific place to store the VOC data with very little (if any) development work needed to report it on the certificates.

Certainly there are other options, so this might not be the best fit - for example, if your reporting requirements for VOC are something like:
<100 ppm
<1000 ppm
>1000 ppm

etc, etc... it might make sense to group like materials accordingly so you don't have to maintain a bunch of additional data per material.

Regards,
John

chrisn

Post by chrisn » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:09 am

As mentioned there are several ways to do it. One other way is to use the COA profile text depending on how you are assigning materials to the profiles that can work, along with the inspection text or QM in SD text.

Craig

Post by Craig » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:12 am

I would create general characteristics for the VOC's and create a material class (001). You can maintain the actual individual material values in the material master via the classification view.

In the COA profile you can choose material class to get values from specific characteristics. Should be fairly straight forward to do.

Craig

MIGO101

Post by MIGO101 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 am

Thanks for your replies.
This VOC data is being maintained for a group of materials in my client's legacy system. That means, same VOC data will be applicable for certain group of materials and this is being maintained for a series number in a product series file (where certain materials are assigned to a series number) and this data is getting printed onto their certs depending the series number to which the material is assigned to.

So, in SAP it is not efficient to maintain this in each and every material class, instead I think this data need to be maintained in 2 custom tables (one foor material to series number assignment and other for VOC data of that series number). But you can put your thoughts and let me know if there is anyother effecient way to maintain this in std SAP.

Sample VOC data of a particular series can be as follows:

Solids Volatile percent = 85
EPA Gal/Lit = 170.156
Mixed VOC = 180
Volatiles / weight percent = 10
VOC Calculated - the value of this is calculated and printed automatically onto a cert during printing
etc..etc...

Craig

Post by Craig » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:37 am

No...!

Create one material class for each series of products. Assign the default values in the class!

You can assign more than one material class to a material, so if you already have a material class you just assign the second VOC_xxxx material class where xxxx is your product series.

All you have to do then is assign the material to that material class. You can use a mass transaction for that. If you have a change in a VOC value you just go to the class and make the one simple change. Done. Fin. No need to go to each material.

Craig

Craig

Post by Craig » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:01 pm

Also,

Out of curiousity, how are you calculating the "VOC calculated" value on your COA now? You must be just imbedding the calculation in the sapscript form? And hopefully not in the COA program. Do all the values used in the calculation come from the VOC data or from the MIC's?

If you were to use the custom tables, you also will need to do a customization to the SAPscript or COA program to print them from the custom tables. Using the material class as decribed will work seamlessly with the COA profiles as standard SAP.

Craig

MIGO101

Post by MIGO101 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:45 am

Thanks Craig,
Problem Solved. Your suggestion of creating default values in a material class and using it for multiple materials makes sense.
I checked with my key user, the VOC calculated is figured out using a formula that is using the other constant VOC data that I showed above. So I asked them to maintain this calculated value also in the matl class, instead of system doing the math for them.

Craig

Post by Craig » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:42 am

You got exactly what I was wondering about wiht regard to the calcualted VOC value. If all the inputs are constant, the calculated value would be constant as well.

If you have any issues with the 001 material class and using it in the COA, let me know and I'll try to help. It should be pretty straight forward.

Craig