inspection

Logistics QM

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, Ha Tran

epvn

inspection

Post by epvn » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi Experts
we are receiving liquid materials from road tankers, every day 50 to 100 truck, lab will take sample & after clearance unloading start
issue here is lab take sample before GR in SAP.
Any body come across this kind of scenario, please throw some light how to map this or is there any better way we can ask them to change the process.

FYI, truck come is in & weight , lab clearance ,unload and empty weight then business come to know actual weight & then GRN

Definetly experts might be come across same business process, i want to know what is best way (recommeded way) to map this.

Thanks
Srinivasan

Trygve

Re: inspection

Post by Trygve » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:11 pm

You could concider doing source inspection. Then you do the inspection prior to GR.
Regards
Trygve

epvn

Post by epvn » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:29 am

if i use sorce inspection , it will create only one inspection lot/ purchase order

but one PO , we will receive multiple deliveries & multiple days...how to address

thanks
Srinivasan

Trygve

Post by Trygve » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:53 am

I haven't had the need for this, so I'm not sure, but I'd expect that you could control this in the insp.set up for insp.type 01 in the material master.
Regards
Trygve

Craig

Post by Craig » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:39 am

I'm hoping you are batch managed. You don't say and that is a very key point. It is also important to know if you use a single purchase order for you GR's or are you using one purchase order per truck?

I am guessing the tankers sit there until lab clearance is given and then the material is pumped into a single large bulk tank.

If you are batch managed, (generic batch number like 99999 on the bulk tank), one way to do this is to perform an initial GR of 1 lb or 1 kg of the material using the truck batch number or an internally assigned batch number. If internally assigned, have the unloading person write the assigned batch number on the truckers weigh ticket.

Perform testing. On the stock posting screen, use the SAP standard "Return to vendor" and return the one pound. Don't make a UD. (You're calling the approval down to production I'm pretty sure in this case). Now after the truck is unloaded, do the GR for the amount received using the same batch number. This new qty should be applied to the existing lot since it is still open with the same batch number. Now at the end of the shift, each lab tech runs QVM2 (create a variant with the bulk material numbers in it to help them), and makes the final UD on the lots with full stock. This will be easily seen as they'll be the lots with tanker truck amounts, i.e. 27637 lbs. or similar. On the stock posting screen the qty is posted to other material and using the same material number but the tank's generic batch number, 99999, post the material to the bulk tank batch.

If you aren't batch managed it will probably be much harder and that depends on how you use your purchase orders.

Craig

epvn

Post by epvn » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:15 am

Thanks Craig,

This material is not batch managed, proposed initial GR with 1kg...but business not ready to do 1kg for each truck & then do remaining qty

is there any betterway ....anybody did it

pls share ur experience
Srinivasan

Craig

Post by Craig » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:31 am

Unfortunately no.

I have worked with many, many chemical companies doing both incoming and outgoing tankers and railcar tankers. Weights are a problem area.

You can't inspect nothing, you must have a qty of material. You especially can't inspect nothing when you have 20 some nothings of the same material on one PO as you can't link any given inspection lot to any specific truck or quantity of material.

With non-batch managed bulk, it is even worse.

The only thing left that I think I can suggest is this. It's not real pretty but might work.

Create a source inspeciton lot for the purcahse order and use inspection points for the inspection lot. The inspection lot basiaclly remains open as long as you want it too. In the inspection point indentiifer, set up the indentifiers to allow you to identify the individual trucks. Maybe truck number and weigh ticket number, date and time stamp. Maybe include an identifier for weight? (I would suggst standardizing the sample labels so the info on the sample ticket is in the same order required for the inspection points).

The valuation of each inspection point is the clearance for each truck to unload. You could use a user exit here to print out an unloading authorization form in the receiving area. Use the inspection point identifiers to populat the form with the truck info.

Once the qty's are receipted, (which should update the source inspection lot with the acutal qty), the actual weigh ticket goes back to the lab. If you have a weight value in the inspection point identifier the techs can update the inspection point identifer with the acutal weight. Then go to the stock positng screen and post the actual qty of material to unrestricted. There should never be anything to reject because those trucks would not have been unloaded and no GR done for them.

Your actual unrestricted inventory will always be slightly off since the there will be a delay between when the GR is done and the techs get the weigh tickets to update the lot.

Alternatively, you can go really risky and set up the 01 inspection type to have the stock posted directly to unrestricted since the trucks will have already been cleared prior to unloading. In which case the techs wouldn't have to do anything more and wouldn't need the weight tickets.

At the end of the month,or on some regular basis, someone should check the outstanding 01 lots and confirm if the PO has been fully received. If it has, make the UD and clean up the worklist.

Craig

ask

Post by ask » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:56 pm

I remember to have used 103 --> 105 goods movement scenario. So instead of struggling with a regular 101 and inspection there of, use 103 which brings the stock as non-valuated and only upon inspection they can do 105. See if this can be work from MM and FI perspective in your company.
You may have to activate inspection for 103. If I remember (this was in 1999) it was de-activated by default in 4.0 then and had to switch it on. But the client was very happy with this approach.
Let me know
Anand

epvn

Post by epvn » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:18 am

Thanks Craig & Anand,

If I'm activating inspection for mvt.type# 103, then I need to deactivate for 105.

Sorroy for late respone....
Srinivasan