This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

What does "/" mean in ORG Levels or Fields

SAP Security

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, jurjen

What does "/" mean in ORG Levels or Fields

Postby stevonz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi All,

Checking several of the ORG levels of roles that we have, Ive been questioned as to what a / means.
Ive checked several forums and SDN but can't seem to find an answer, so I'm putting it out here,
Can anyone tell me what the "/" means in relation to authorisation values?

Thanks very much
Steve
stevonz

Re: What does "/" mean in ORG Levels or Fields

Postby Al. » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:44 am

Hi,

As standard it means nothing. Maybe an admin added in as they didn't have a value to add in and wanted to populate it with something. It's possible that it has significance through a specific customisation but I would hope that would be documented.

I've not seen anything like that in APO/SRM/CRM/BW but it could be something new that I've not come across yet.
http://www.turnkeyconsulting.com/
Al.

Postby henrik » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:18 pm

I have used this in the past as the org value in master role for derived roles. The purpose of using that character is that it means nothing, so if the role is assigned by mistake instead of the derived role, it will not result in access being granted to * for instance.
I can't say if that is what it means in your system, but it seems likely

/henrik
www.turnkeyconsulting.com.au
henrik

Postby os » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:10 pm

"/" as the first character is a reservation for customer and partner namespaces. The name space ends with another "/".

For this reason, the support of all field types is sometimes restricted because further special characters can be used so the system does not know where the namespace ends.

You can see this in the search helps (F4) sometimes, as they exclude the values between the "/" and show all of them.

Transaction codes also have a feature, in that you need to start them from role menus or alternately add "/N" before the first "/xxxx/..." of the namespace otherwise it expects a SAPGui command and will tell you that the function code does not exist.

Such namespace reservations are NOT natural candidates for Org. Level values, but can also be created as org. level fields in SU20.

Generally such a field would leave it up to the customer to determine the values (in the PFCG popup area) are not restrict it, unless is a semantic design error in the object using the field.

Can you give an example?
os

Return to SAP Security