Bloody Cheek!

Discussion about non-SAP related issues: Inquiries, Personal & Commercial advertisements, etc. ( For registered users only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish, The Prince Of Darkness

Rich

Bloody Cheek!

Post by Rich » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:18 am

I just had a call from an Agency called 'Esprit'.

She asked if I was available and when I said no she then said "If the terms are right would you resign ?"

Bloody Cheek!

When I said 'That's unproffessional', she said 'No it's not - lots of people do it"

Bloody Hell!! Do that too often and you get a name for yourself for not finishing contracts!

I hope she's got 3rd degree burns on her lughole.
Regards

Rich

Abap KC:http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb
SFMDR:http://www.se37.com

Martin_US

Re: Bloody Cheek!

Post by Martin_US » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:04 pm

Well Rich,

unfortunately that goes both ways.
Common over here (US) is that they say it's a long term contract to push down the rate. However, there is no gurantee at all. I have been on many projects that got cancelled or restructured after a while and most companies don't build incentives for contractors either. Would be nice, if that were different.

Fact is that towards the end of a project people leave and fluctuation rates are usually very high. But that has also to do with the distance people travel and time zones.

Though, if you have good experiences with the client and he was calling back on you, I wouldn't leave him either.

Craig

Post by Craig » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:31 pm

Yes.. I've had that asked of me too. I take it with a grain of salt.

I'd also say it depends if you are an actual employee or on contract and the recruiter might not know which right away.

I agree that you have to balance the ethics with the opportunity. Is it worth getting a bad wrap over a few bucks? However, I learned the hard way that few companies have any loyalty to their employees and contractors. If a project wraps up early, (yeah right!), or gets cancelled, (have had this), they won't hesitate to drop you by the side of the road, regardless of what you have specified in your contract. Do you really think a single consultant stands a chance of suing a fortune 500 company?

I tell my favorite recruiter's that if they have something really local to me, to at least let me know about it. Within a reasonable rate range, I'm primarily interested in local work. So I don't want to let anything go by without at least being aware of it. I can at least jot down the name of the company for future possible work someday.

But I also don't terminate my contracts early. I agree, it's a bad reputation to get. But you never know when that once in a lifetime opportunity might present itself if you aren't listening.

Craig

bgamble

Post by bgamble » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:51 am

Generally speaking the contracts I get are not for the duration of the project. On a 5 year project you can get a 1 year or three month contract

The interesting thing is when you decide not to accept an offered extension you can be accused of quitting. This happened to me recently when I left the DHL project

I have never quit a contract but I feel it is completely right for me to quit a project when my contract expires

The door swings both ways mother fucker
In my opinion, Pepper Spray is underutilized as an effective tool for scope control

DrSidewalk

Post by DrSidewalk » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:13 am

Absolutely!. That's one agency that I'll avoid from now on. I have spoken with them in the past, but not really taken them up on anything.

On that subject, during my 3.5 months of looking for a CRM contract, which is a tough market at the moment, I have spoken to 32 agencies, according to my notes. Some of the big ones are starting to operate some dubious practices. Now, I am only saying this because it's true and I have some facts to back it up. Whitehall, although very good, have started offering lower rates that what I would consider the going rate, even thoough the client are offering the using going rate (and then some for the agent). I know this because on two occassions I have been contacted by them and informed of the maximum rate the client will go to, which when checked with a friend (and agent) of mine I find out who the client is and that they are way below what most agents would fix the rate at. So, be careful on that.
The other practice that some agents (which is on the increase) are doing is to ask for references upfront. I am very rude to them when that happens and inform them that I am very happy to offer references once the contract is offered, or at least until after an interview. This practice has to stop as it's killing the good will of any references as they are being needlessly badgered by agents for sales leads. It's up to you guys to stick to your guns on this one, which I know is hard when you've been out of contract for a while. ;)

Strangely, I have come across some very small, but very good agencies. Bison Search and NineSharp being two of those, of which both I have contracted with. To be fare NineSharp tend to deal with West London contract and Bison with General London contracts, so unless you intend to work in these areas they probably are not a lot of use to you. But, my point is that sometimes the smaller agencies have good inroads to some very prestigous clients.

Dr Sidewalk

Martin_US

Post by Martin_US » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:43 am

This is how it works in the US when you apply.

"Rate?

Thanks and Regards,"

So why the heck would I give a damn about any protocol or being nice?
This is no exception, but more the rule - unfortunately.

The only appropriate response is g f y s
Might burn a bridge or two, but what the hell.

Craig

Post by Craig » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:30 am

Any more I tell the recruiter my range right up front and that pretty much sends most of them away. If we aren't in the ball park then why bother with anything else.

Maybe at some point I'll need to adjust downwards but right now I don't and won't.

Craig

swright

Post by swright » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:38 pm

[quote="Martin_US"
The only appropriate response is g f y s
Might burn a bridge or two, but what the hell.[/quote]

I have a coffee mug that says GFY, if people have to ask what it means I say "You don't like the way I do things.. Good For You".
Some click, some just believe me.
Sandi
~~~~

Tuly kiwi. Image

Putting the Chur in Christchurch, bro!

bgamble

Post by bgamble » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:12 am

Hi,

Hope you're doing great!
Quantum integrators have an urgent opening for SAP SD Consultant Location Remote!

Position: SAP SD Consultant
Duration:Long Term

Role Description

• Client is looking for 9+Years of experience.
• With 2 Full Life cycle implantation.
• With at least 2 project worked as a team lead

If interested please send me updated resume along with visa status, employer detail current location and 2 references ASAP.

Send to references ASAP because I dont have anyone to cold call... I hate this business sometimes
In my opinion, Pepper Spray is underutilized as an effective tool for scope control

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:17 am

bgamble wrote:If interested please send me updated resume along with visa status
I had some similar mails, but they asked me for my visa numbers, and not status... But if you need my visa status, I can tell you now: empty and useless :P
Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem

blueteeth

Post by blueteeth » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:12 am

Unless there is a typo by bgamble, I am very curious on implants part.

BT

Martin_US

Post by Martin_US » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:31 am

I think, those asking for a Visa status should be kicked out.

Rich

Post by Rich » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:09 am

bgamble wrote:Hi,

Hope you're doing great!
Quantum integrators have an urgent opening for SAP SD Consultant Location Remote!

Position: SAP SD Consultant
Duration:Long Term

Role Description

• Client is looking for 9+Years of experience.
• With at least 2 project worked as a team lead

If interested please send me updated resume along with visa status, employer detail current location and 2 references ASAP.

Send to references ASAP because I dont have anyone to cold call... I hate this business sometimes
I smell Fruitloopery
Regards

Rich

Abap KC:http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb
SFMDR:http://www.se37.com

swright

Post by swright » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:38 am

Hmm

I got a linkedin request today from someone at OLI-IT saying "We have a US Consultancy that will be looking to expand their SAP team. Would you be interested to relocate to the US in 2014?

Client will provide work permit and relocation package. "

Ok, seems interesting but their LinkedIn business page has a link to their website that goes no where and I can't find much info on them.
Anyone here even heard of them, they are new to me. The link I have found are related to Lewis Glanz Consulting but that goes in circles.

Spidey sense is tingling.
Sandi
~~~~

Tuly kiwi. Image

Putting the Chur in Christchurch, bro!

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:13 am

Are you planning to move to the USA, Sandi? They don't deserve you...
Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem