Is Sapfans being kept alive by "Can You Count"

Discussion about non-SAP related issues: Inquiries, Personal & Commercial advertisements, etc. ( For registered users only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish, The Prince Of Darkness

Rich

Is Sapfans being kept alive by "Can You Count"

Post by Rich » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:56 am

Discuss.
Regards

Rich

Abap KC:http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb
SFMDR:http://www.se37.com

Gothmog

Re: Is Sapfans being kept alive by "Can You Count"

Post by Gothmog » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:33 am

Barely - the spammers are alive and kicking, though.
68 74 74 70 3a 2f 2f 74 69 6e 79 75 72 6c 2e 63 6f 6d 2f 62 64 6f 37 6d 77 67

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:11 am

I started to use the infamous SCN just to have something to read...

Oh, shit, you said "discuss".

Gothmog, I do not agree with you. SAPFans is alive although the spammers.
Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem

Baz

Post by Baz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:34 am

the spammers certainly keep us busy, but thankfully banhammer kicks shows them what's what! ;)

i think it is down to the sterling support all the freshers received here around mid 2000's! they are now all fully fledged blaggers so no need to return and share their knowledge and expertise... lol
Baz

AsPiRiNg tUlY iDiOt Image

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

check out my Podcasts http://dj-baz.podomatic.com

Rich

Post by Rich » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:37 am

Baz wrote:the spammers certainly keep us busy, but thankfully banhammer kicks shows them what's what! ;)

i think it is down to the sterling support all the freshers received here around mid 2000's! they are now all fully fledged blaggers so no need to return and share their knowledge and expertise... lol
Blaggers ??? BLAGGERS ???? Shame on you Baz for insulting those that keep us in work!! If you're not careful there may be another repitition of the 1996 flame wars.
Regards

Rich

Craig

Post by Craig » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:53 am

Short answer: YES.

Long answer: questions have dropped off tremendously. Can be a week between questions on the QM forum. (last new question was Jun 13). But I've also noted a big drop at SCN as well. Maybe only 3-5 new questions a day. I'm hoping this is because the past few years have shaken out a lot of the newbies and discouraged new ones from trying to join the ranks consultants. This would result in the most senior and knowledgeable folks surviving and hence fewer questions.

It's not unlike the real estate market where during the boom years a ton of part timers and lazy folks got into selling real estate because homes just flew off the market and everything was easy. Today, a lot of the part timers have dropped out and the lazy ones went broke or got fired. That's left behind mostly full-time, experienced agents who actually know how to sell a house, not just list it.

Craig

Baz

Post by Baz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:59 am

Rich wrote:
Baz wrote:the spammers certainly keep us busy, but thankfully banhammer kicks shows them what's what! ;)

Blaggers ??? BLAGGERS ???? Shame on you Baz for insulting those that keep us in work!! If you're not careful there may be another repitition of the 1996 flame wars.
hey, i count myself in amongst the Blaggers! :mrgreen:

i am in a fortunate position these days, as a previous asker of many questions... i now delegate to eager developers! they do the hard work! i take the praise for delivery! the way it was meant to be! lol!
Baz

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:46 am

But we must admit that it is a wonderful thread... If few days ago I was amazed because I reached my 5000th post here, I wonder how many of that thread posts are from YYZ_SAP or from mymagnum :D :D :D
Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem

Martin_US

Post by Martin_US » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:28 pm

I think the while consulting industry is going south quickly, at least when you look at the functional side.
Not exactly sure why, but my observations:

a) When I look at Dice with my focus on California, there must be either a complete lack of consultants or a horrific flacuation rate. The same position is posted over and over for month by as many as 4 to 5 agencies.

b) Companies don't give a damn. They know it all. They don't want consulting. They come up with business requirements that make no sense, are even illegal, but they want it done that way.

c) The quality of the project work gets poorer and poorer. Everything is done on the quick to meet some dead line. Later everyone moans and groans that nothing works right and blame the consultants.

d) To many wanna be agencies that have no clue about customer requirements, SAP, the business

Rich

Post by Rich » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:21 am

Martin_US wrote:I think the while consulting industry is going south quickly, at least when you look at the functional side.
Not exactly sure why, but my observations:

a) When I look at Dice with my focus on California, there must be either a complete lack of consultants or a horrific flacuation rate. The same position is posted over and over for month by as many as 4 to 5 agencies.

b) Companies don't give a damn. They know it all. They don't want consulting. They come up with business requirements that make no sense, are even illegal, but they want it done that way.

c) The quality of the project work gets poorer and poorer. Everything is done on the quick to meet some dead line. Later everyone moans and groans that nothing works right and blame the consultants.

d) To many wanna be agencies that have no clue about customer requirements, SAP, the business
I wondered where you'd hidden yourself.

I agree with all your points, however, it's c) that keeps people like us in work.
Regards

Rich

Martin_US

Post by Martin_US » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:49 am

Just took a little time out, Rich.

I really find it scary, that companies refuse to listen. Or even the way they choose Software.
First, the Software is bought, then (with no training on it), they start the blue print, without consultants.

They are driven by their business exceptions, instead of focusing on the money maker and what sets them aside in the market.

SAP isn't exactly new and has so much functionality, that most companies could use it almost as it is. Yet they don't bother trying to understand it. It's the same old almost everywhere. Instead of adjusting the way they conduct their business, they mutulate SAP beyond recognition. They don't bother to validate what they are doing, because they have 'always done it that way'. They don't want to change the way they interact with suppliers or customers, eventhough those might be happy about a change, if they were only asked. They build all kinds of Cockpits that are unreliable for various reasons. Primarily lack of validations. If something fails, it usually fails in a big way.

They talk about Best Practise, ASAP, Scrum, Change Management and have no clue what it means. Those are the first things being tossed out the window.

Eventhough you can earn quite a bit of money in this profession, I am looking to get out.

My personal favorite topic is "Global Templates", I think it is safe to say that 95% have no idea what that means.

Craig

Post by Craig » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:25 am

Need a "Like" button for Martin's last post.

I agree 150%.

Craig

Martin_US

Post by Martin_US » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:27 pm

Thanks Craig,

on the global template ....

What gets me on the SD side is that as soon as they role it out to a new location abroad, order types are copied like there is no tomorrow. This is at the core of SD and each time you do that, you need to create new stuff like pricing procedure etc for mostly no other reason, but some local variance or tax issues.

If a company had proper change management in place, they would have all the diviation in a standard procedure. There is no reason for multiple. The issue is that this makes maintenance a night mare. Further, you don't have a coprorate section of statistical pricing and the 'real' local one that can later be used to really see variances in sales in SD reports. They don't use up lift or down lift factors to adjust prices to the local market, losing all transparency in the process.

Change Management isn't taking on business requirements or changes and run them by all business units to see, if someone else wants the same or with additional features. Instead they create local variances of essentially the same reports.

I only met one company in 25 years that was able to elaborate on a governance model. Never mind SOX.
They can't tell a consultant what is corporate "set in stone" and what is "local playground".

They don't use program usage counters to see how often a program is really used. The ABAP documentation has at best a transport request which is completely meaningless since it has no connection to the business requirement or change request. Subsequently, when a system upgrade is pending, IT has no clue what the impact is. Worse, they don't have object owners. No concept on dependencies, blocking transports and the like.

Although SAP very clearly provides instructions how to handle a production stream and a major new development stream, you always have to argue how that has to be done to avoid big problems.

Training is the biggest issue. Instead of having a client where the trainer provides the examples, ensures data integrety and working examples that can be copied to a training client to ensure that during class the examples work and the students would be able after a regular client copy to go over the course again, they use the QA system with ever changing data. Examples that a trainer might have prepared may not work reliably. Given how cheap a freaking virtual server is, there is no reason to even argue for such an envrironment. Last time, it took me 6 month. User documentation is stored on some Share point in a structure that ensures no one finds the crap. The simple solution to use GuiXT to provide transactional and company specific help is obviously too complicated.
Providing such a solution takes technically not even 3 minutes and every user can have the help needed in his language. The documentation can be stored virtually everywhere and centrally kept up to date. You can even do this down to field level. No headache.

Managers are scared of the user community, making support very difficult. Instead of demanding proper error messages, examples, screen shots, etc. they leave support hanging high and dry, causing endless run-a-rounds for order numbers or trying to re-create a problem.

Yes, I really think most managers and implementation partners lack the basics. They create zTables in stead of append structures and wonder why half of the SAP stuff needs to be adjusted and why the business objects and function modules won't do the job.

So yes, I am frustrated with this consulting gig. It doesn't matter how engaged you like to be, how much you can proof your case, one is simply ignored. In my opinion because people really don't know what they are doing.

Baz

Post by Baz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:33 am

come on guys! you know the rules.

no sensible discussions on SAP allowed in the GD! :mrgreen:
Baz

Martin_US

Post by Martin_US » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:22 pm