Site availability

Discussion about non-SAP related issues: Inquiries, Personal & Commercial advertisements, etc. ( For registered users only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish, The Prince Of Darkness

Rich

Re: Site availability

Post by Rich » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:40 am

Martin_US wrote:I wonder, if I get a running version of Edlin for my windows 7 ...
How about Ed ? (For CP/M). I also run Wordstar, compile in Algol and do loads of other stuff (Check out CP/M emulators in Google).

I also have an MVS 2.3J (??) system with 30 terminals, VM370 with 250 terminals and also Music.

I got bored stuck in a sh*thole of a hotel so i decided to build a collection of all the systems I have worked on using emulators. It helps to have a bit of cheek since a lot of these are commercial products that cost 1,000's. I'd write to the CEO of whatever company marketed the relevant emulator and basically told them that I was bored stiff and wanted to go on a nostalgia trip. Not one of them refused to give me a licence for free.

Along with the above i have a DGC Nove 210 and Eclipse emulator, Vaxes, PDP 11/780 and a few others all with the relevant compilers and utilities.

We must be doing poor Vic's head in.....
Regards

Rich

Abap KC:http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb
SFMDR:http://www.se37.com

thx4allthefish

Post by thx4allthefish » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:07 am

I should lock this thread to prevent it from further ageing :lol:
curiousorange wrote: I give up. Humanity isn't worth saving. Why is there never a Vogon Constructor Fleet around when you really need one?

Martin_US

Post by Martin_US » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:09 am

LOL,

poor Vic. Come to think about it, I don't even recall the last time I messed around with CONFIG.SYS or the last time I used AT commands on a modem. What's a modem anyway? Can you still buy those?

The kids today lack imagination. There is so much stuff you can do with a few neat batch files and pipe commands.

We had a client running about 10 AS/400's world wide. The IT staff was constantly switching from one system to the next to ensure everything was working. Me lazy ass spend a weekend and developed a program that pulled the system log files of all machines to a central one, then evaluating them for problems. Where possible, I had the system issue restart procedures (for like printers) or re-compile programs automatically. if the severity was critical, I had the system send me a message to my cell. Most of the time, problems were already solved before the users could call.

It's amazing what you can do with a few FTP commands :)

When I see job ads for DB2 administrators, I wonder what the guys are supposed to be doing. A few CL programms and everything is taken care off.

I had a client who wanted his programs to be inquiry mode only for some of his staff. When he asked the vendor, they quoted him like $200.000. I told him, I'd do it for $10.000 plus a few days. All that was needed was a wrapper and a CL programm telling the OS to reject any database updates, if the user didn't have the authority. No dual maintenance of any programms, easy user maintenance.

You just have to know your toys :)

Martin_US

Post by Martin_US » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:10 am

thx4allthefish wrote:I should lock this thread to prevent it from further ageing :lol:
No, we want your stories from the trenches.

thx4allthefish

Post by thx4allthefish » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:20 am

Martin_US wrote:
thx4allthefish wrote:I should lock this thread to prevent it from further ageing :lol:
No, we want your stories from the trenches.
You mean, when we were developping VM-CMS?
curiousorange wrote: I give up. Humanity isn't worth saving. Why is there never a Vogon Constructor Fleet around when you really need one?

Martin_US

Post by Martin_US » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:30 am

Sure,

I remember the times when SAP was ported to AS/400 and IBM added the UNIX file structure to the system. Gosh was that confusing. First time I ever heard about table space. There was a yahoo group SAP on iSeries. Back when, we were Partners in Development with IBM. Those were really creative times.

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:24 am

Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:36 pm

I still have a QL in the cupboard, and the floppy drive we built for it... it was very cool at the time, 7.9MHz, 128KB RAM, and we had the big memory expansion board with the enormous 512KB RAM expansion. Compared with the Z80 and the 6502 based computers, the Motorola 68000 series were just so cool! 8 colours! Twin drives - no more cassette storage!

Jim

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:24 am

And those little things we called "microdrives"... doh... I'm been tempted to ask my mother to pass it to me and check if our programs are still there.
Tuly Idiots

Martin_US

Post by Martin_US » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:32 am

.....just a few years ago, I was looking into my cupboared and saw all the 3.5" disks ....
Then I looked at my computers and couldn't find a place to put them in ....

That's when Word 2.0B finally went into the garbage.....with all the old PCMCIA cards *snieeef*

I don't even have a port for a printer cable any more, not even a serial one :(

HELP, my world is coming to an end!!

Rich

Post by Rich » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:42 am

Martin_US wrote:.....just a few years ago, I was looking into my cupboared and saw all the 3.5" disks ....
Then I looked at my computers and couldn't find a place to put them in ....

That's when Word 2.0B finally went into the garbage.....with all the old PCMCIA cards *snieeef*

I don't even have a port for a printer cable any more, not even a serial one :(

HELP, my world is coming to an end!!
3.5" Discs ? Crikey. I have 3 boxes of 5.25" discs and one or two 8" discs hanging around. There's some tapes up in the loft as well.... :shock:

My first printer was a data dynamic teletype with a 30ma Serial loop interface which was rescued from a scrapyard. That and my massive 2kb 6502 with cassette storage.

As for adding new interfaces, it was out with the soldering iron if it was lucky. If I was feeling lazy it was wire wrap....
Regards

Rich

Martin_US

Post by Martin_US » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:02 am

well Rich,

the large number of 5.25 I got rid off a long time ago and evenif I fold a 8" floppy, that can't be read any longer.
I think my first printer was a Epson matrix one that made a horrible noise.

On my first Laptop, I had a dongle for the parallel port that turned that bugger into a connection to a twinax network.
Was from Systems 3/x Warehouse in Plano. No idea, if they are still around.

But I was the King among my colleagues. I could go to clients and had my OWN PC. No dumb terminal or crappy desktop.

Seriously, today they firewall the sh*t out of everything and it takes them month to get the routing sorted out, just to be able to print something. Those kids.

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:20 am

Tuly Idiots

Rich

Post by Rich » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:26 am

I bet Vic doesn't know what a green screen looks like let alone what it would do if you sent Ascii $07 to it....
Regards

Rich

Martin_US

Post by Martin_US » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:34 am

Prolly not, plus there are all those strange signs on the keyboard and no mouse.

He'll try like Scotty "Computer? Hello, Computer?"