This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

A good read...

Discussion about non-SAP related issues: Inquiries, Personal & Commercial advertisements, etc. ( For registered users only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish, The Prince Of Darkness

Re: Sad news

Postby Gothmog » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:12 am

DrSidewalk wrote:It was sad news to read that Ian Banks (Ian M.Banks) has terminal cancer. One of THE best sci-fi writers ever, in my eyes. His sci-fi books where pioneering to say the least.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22015175

Dr Sidewalk

He left us yesterday.
RIP Iain M. Banks, I'll miss waiting for your next book. :cry:
68 74 74 70 3a 2f 2f 74 69 6e 79 75 72 6c 2e 63 6f 6d 2f 62 64 6f 37 6d 77 67
Gothmog
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:46 am
Location: Probably not home

Re: A good read...

Postby DrSidewalk » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Book 9 of a Galaxy Unknown is out July 1st. WhooHoo...

http://www.deprima.com/b_retreatandadapt.html

Dr Sidewalk
DrSidewalk
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 9:35 am

Re: A good read...

Postby Rich » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:10 am

DrSidewalk wrote:Book 9 of a Galaxy Unknown is out July 1st. WhooHoo...

http://www.deprima.com/b_retreatandadapt.html

Dr Sidewalk


I've already got it pre-ordered.
Regards

Rich

Image
Abap KC:http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb
SFMDR:http://www.se37.com
Rich
 
Posts: 7112
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:47 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: A good read...

Postby VLozano » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:17 am

"Book 9"

It's its title or it means it's the nineth book of a saga? I decided to not read any saga until it's fully published. I've learnt the hard way with the Wheel of Time (although it's a really crappy saga). If you need more than three books to share a history, maybe it's too big to be shared (eh, GRRM?)
Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem
VLozano
 
Posts: 5140
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:17 am
Location: Idiocity

Re: A good read...

Postby Rich » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:21 am

Another good series is the "Battle Earth" series by Nick S. Thomas. Although unfortunately it exceeds Vics attention span with something like 8 or 9 books.
Regards

Rich

Image
Abap KC:http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb
SFMDR:http://www.se37.com
Rich
 
Posts: 7112
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:47 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: A good read...

Postby blueteeth » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:27 am

May I suggest Voynich Manuscript?

I think SAP consultants, after getting well versed in deciphering earlier SAP notes (circa R/3 2.x, 3.x), can try decode the manuscript.

BT

PS: I don't know if SAP Notes existed in R/3 2.x era.
Last edited by blueteeth on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
blueteeth
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:22 pm

Re: A good read...

Postby Rich » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:29 am

It doesn't contain descriptions of the right type of herbs to interest certain abappers (ooops blaggers sorry)......
Regards

Rich

Image
Abap KC:http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb
SFMDR:http://www.se37.com
Rich
 
Posts: 7112
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:47 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: A good read...

Postby VLozano » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:19 am

Rich wrote:Another good series is the "Battle Earth" series by Nick S. Thomas. Although unfortunately it exceeds Vics attention span with something like 8 or 9 books.

It's not about attention spam size but endurance. These days it seems you are not a good writer if your books don't complain one of:

- have more than 1500 pages
- be part of a saga of 5 books or more

I suppose it's because the main goal of the writers today is to see their books translated to TV shows...
Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem
VLozano
 
Posts: 5140
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:17 am
Location: Idiocity

Re: A good read...

Postby Rich » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:09 am

If you haven't read any of the "Jack Reacher" series by Lee Child then you should. Unfortunately casting a midget as Jack was a bit of a foobar in the film but the books are excellent.

There's a new book on the block by Diane Capri "Don't Know Jack" which is a Reacher story from the other side of the fence - ie the FBI are trying to find him:

Courtesy of Melinda Vanlone

Melinda wrote:Oh hell yes! I am in love with this book. I’m a huge Jack Reacher fan. If you don’t know Jack (pun intended!) then get thee to the bookstore/wherever you buy your fix and pick up one of the many Jack Reacher books by Lee Child. Heck, pick up all of them. In particular, read The Killing Floor. Then come back and read Don’t Know Jack. This story picks up the other from the point of view of Kim and Gaspar, FBI agents assigned to build a file on Jack Reacher. The problem is, as anyone who knows Reacher can attest, he lives completely off the grid. No cell phone, no house, no car…he’s not tied down. A pretty daunting task, then, wouldn’t you say?

First lines: “Just the facts. And not many of them, either. Jack Reacher’s file was too stale and too thin to be credible. No human could be as invisible as Reacher appeared to be, whether he was currently above the ground or under it. Either the file had been sanitized, or Reacher was the most off-the-grid paranoid Kim Otto had ever heard of.”

Right away, I’m sensing who Kim Otto is and I’m delighted that I know something she doesn’t. You see, I DO know Jack. And I know he’s not paranoid. Not really. I know why he lives as he does, and I know what kind of man he is. I loved having that over Kim and Gaspar. If you haven’t read any Reacher novels, then this will feel like a good, solid story in its own right. If you have…oh if you have, then you, too, will feel like you have a one-up on the FBI. It’s a fun feeling!

Kim and Gaspar are sent to Margrave by a mysterious boss who reminds me of Charlie, in Charlie’s Angels. You never see him…you hear him. He never gives them all the facts. So they are left with a big pile of nothing. They end up embroiled in a murder case that seems connected to Reacher somehow, but they can’t see how. Suffice to say the efforts to find the murderer, and Reacher, and not lose their own heads in the process, makes for an entertaining read.

I love the way the author handled the entire story. The pacing is dead on (ok another pun intended), the story is full of twists and turns like a Reacher novel would be, but it’s another viewpoint of a Reacher story. It’s an outside-in approach to Reacher.

You might be asking, do they find him? Do they finally meet the infamous Jack Reacher?

Go…read…now…find out!


So I've just downloaded it and I'm expecting a good yarn.
Regards

Rich

Image
Abap KC:http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb
SFMDR:http://www.se37.com
Rich
 
Posts: 7112
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:47 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: A good read...

Postby VLozano » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:35 am

I'm not blaming series, but sagas, Rich. I suppose I could read the Dune saga because in fact is a serie. I can go with the whole Star Trek novel series, if needed, because are A LOT OF HISTORIES with the same characters. Harry Potter (bleurgh) is acceptable because you can read any of the books ignoring the rest (I will suggest you to ignore all them :P). I read all the books that fell in my hands from Enid Blyton, and they were series of books.

Wheel of Time: an (unfinished) saga
Game of Thrones: an unfinished (yet) saga
Dune: a mix between a saga and a serie... some sort of working hybrid
Jack Reacher novels: a serie (BTW, is the same Jack Reacher of Tom Cruise's movie? I like the character, despite TC)

If you need to share a bunch of histories and want not to change their characters, go and do it. If you need three million pages to share a single history... you are doing something wrong. If the jews could summarize the whole Universe creation in six days, you should be able to explain Game of Thrones in a single tweet.
Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem
VLozano
 
Posts: 5140
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:17 am
Location: Idiocity

Re: A good read...

Postby Rich » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:40 am

Yep,

Tom Cruise is supposed be Jack Reacher. Even though he's about 2 feet too short.....
Regards

Rich

Image
Abap KC:http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb
SFMDR:http://www.se37.com
Rich
 
Posts: 7112
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:47 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: A good read...

Postby VLozano » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:54 am

wikipedia wrote:Of Cruise's relatively small stature, Child said, "With another actor you might get 100% of the height but only 90% of Reacher. With Tom, you'll get 100% of Reacher with 90% of the height."
:shock: :| :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
I did not know the original character was meant to be 20 feet tall...
Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem
VLozano
 
Posts: 5140
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:17 am
Location: Idiocity

Re: A good read...

Postby Rich » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:22 am

Rich wrote:If you haven't read any of the "Jack Reacher" series by Lee Child then you should. Unfortunately casting a midget as Jack was a bit of a foobar in the film but the books are excellent.

There's a new book on the block by Diane Capri "Don't Know Jack" which is a Reacher story from the other side of the fence - ie the FBI are trying to find him:

Courtesy of Melinda Vanlone

Melinda wrote:<snip.....>


So I've just downloaded it and I'm expecting a good yarn.


Don't bother. Compared to the original series it's slow, ponderous, boring and with no real end.
Regards

Rich

Image
Abap KC:http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb
SFMDR:http://www.se37.com
Rich
 
Posts: 7112
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:47 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: A good read...

Postby Baz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:50 am

Rich wrote:Yep,

Tom Cruise is supposed be Jack Reacher. Even though he's about 2 feet too short.....


I was pleasantly surprised with the film! i was ready to hate it for that simple reason but i actually enjoyed it. shame they called it Jack Reacher. "One Shot" would've been a good title too!
i am not sure who they could've cast in the role...

i do enjoy the Lee Child books.... they are page turners!

i also thoroughly enjoy the Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp books - one of which was due to be turned into a screenplay, however Vince Flynn passed away recently.... :(
Baz

AsPiRiNg tUlY iDiOt Image

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Image

check out my Podcasts http://dj-baz.podomatic.com
Baz
 
Posts: 4736
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:54 am
Location: He's out there! somewhere!!!!

Re: A good read...

Postby DrSidewalk » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:49 am

Another good read is http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006OBOIPC/ref=oh_d__o04_details_o04__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did download all three books in readiness for my vacation, but had a sneak peak at the first chapter and now I'm reading the third book. Doh!. Some sci-fi books are like that, and this is one of them.

Dr Sidewalk
DrSidewalk
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 9:35 am

PreviousNext

Return to General Talks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests





loading...


This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.