This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

I've boycott B&Q...

Discussion about non-SAP related issues: Inquiries, Personal & Commercial advertisements, etc. ( For registered users only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish, The Prince Of Darkness

I've boycott B&Q...

Postby DrSidewalk » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:11 pm

There I was at the B&Q till (Slough) with about 10 or 15 items. Imagine my surprise when the cashier said that they no longer give out bags, but do charge 5p for a bag if I want one. Well, that was like showing a red flag to a bull for me. I scooped up my goods and made for the exit, having paid. Needless to say that I probably dropped most of the items on the way out, what with a mobile/wallet also being carried. I was doing my best to make for the exit, mumbling under my breath that if I ordered these goods online they would have to deliver them in a bag then. Harh!

What has got into these people. They think that by charging for bags that less people will use them, or will bring in their own bags, thus saving the environment. Little do they know that plastic bags are a very small percentage of the environment issues (less than 1% actually), So, "NO", just provide biodegradeble bags (the oxi-polythene ones, or something like that) so that we can carry our purchased goods from the store with dignity. Is that too much to ask for?. Tesco's and many other use biodegradeable bags, so why not B&Q.

Anyway, until that happens I don't intend to set foot in that brand of store, and I used to frequent the store isles a lot, erh...but that's another matter. ;)

Dr Sidewalk
DrSidewalk

Re: I've boycott B&Q...

Postby TattooDave » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:56 pm

It's stupid. Especially when you read things like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reusable_shopping_bag

"An unpublished report from the UK's Environment Agency found that when compared to a traditional plastic bag, a canvas or cotton reusable bag would have to be reused a total of 171 times to offset the higher carbon emissions. The same study found however that the average cotton bag is used only 51 times before being thrown away."
TattooDave

Postby blueteeth » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:41 am

I'd say these token measures are counter-intuitive. People get ticked off, raising their anger, emitting more methane. A minus. My aunt agony will, with her new found jute bag, call 171 people about jute bags. Energy usage in telefone carriers data centers increase. A minus. I getting ticked off with aunt agony, more methane. A minus.

A saner policy would be, provide shopping bags. Those who want to carry their organic bags, double smile at them. Plastic shopping bag...bloody DISPOSE them properly. Recycle.

On a rethink, a badly tuned SAP system consumes more energy leading to bad ecological footprint. BASIS & ABAP, are you listening?

Wish you all good holidays and a Happy New Year!!

BT
blueteeth

Postby rangachary » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:46 am

A lot of stores do that these days... Of course most stores charge 1 p for a bag, 5p seems excessive.

I am not particularly environment conscious, but I have realised long ago that an enormous quantity of bags are generated at the house after a few loads are shopping, and some of them are quite sturdy reusable plastic bags.. So several bags are always kept in the car for re-use while shopping..

It is ok to boycott b&Q, but if it is the only DIY shop in the vicinity, it is a bit difficult to stand on principle when you really need something..
rangachary

Postby DrSidewalk » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:02 am

Yep, I rely on these bags for picking up the dog poo while walking the dog, and occassionally doing the same job in the garden.;)

I had to get some gaffer tape to tape up the boxes containing the Christmas decos. I would usually drive straight to a small B&Q, which is literally 1/2 mile away. But, I avoided this and got the same product from the Tesco mega store which has a hardware section. Probably cheaper as well, and, they give FREE bio degradeable bags to carry your goods away. Hurrar.

Dr Sidewalk
DrSidewalk

Postby Craig » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:43 am

No excuse. It is cost thing. By charging, their bags are no longer an expense but a profit center. Maybe not much of one but at least no longer a cost. This is all about $$$$, nothing more.

There are plenty of bio-degradable plastic bags available now for stores to provide. Not to mention the old fashion paper bag. Which actually DID get recycled and reused in most households. Covered most of my school books with paper bags. Now we use them to collect and put out the recylce paper for pickup at the house. I've even used them to wrap x-mas and birthday gifts a few times. And they are usually made from recycled material!!!!

Craig
Craig

Postby Rich » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:58 am

What ticks me off is that we used to use the free plastic bags as pedal bin liners (just the right size), now we have the 'last a life time' crap we have to buy the pedal bin liners.... (which are still plastic and get thrown in the rubbish...) :evil:
Regards

Rich

Abap KC:http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb
SFMDR:http://www.se37.com
Rich

Return to General Talks