Issues with the new SDN?

Discussion about non-SAP related issues: Inquiries, Personal & Commercial advertisements, etc. ( For registered users only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish, The Prince Of Darkness

Craig

Re: How bad is the new SDN?

Post by Craig » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:54 am

Snowy,

Thanks for the link. My issue wasn't up there but I was only able to submit it via the live video conference and I'm not sure who got it and if it got logged.

Things have been graduallly improving. At least I'm not booted out as often there!

I know they will get it working.

sapsepo

Post by sapsepo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:44 am

I think SAPfans will gain more visits after they wrecked the SDN site.
It looks like a proper SAP project, you've got something that works, and suddenly everything disappears and you have to work with a new tool, that nobody asked (yeah, maybe the management...).
I've never tried to log-on, but looking for information is painful (where are the blogs? do I really need to navigate through all those pages to have the latest blogs?). Luckily I've found a way to have a couple of RSS feeds.
And where is the coffee corner forum?

rangachary

Post by rangachary » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:48 am

sapsepo wrote:And where is the coffee corner forum?
I think this is it, but I could be wrong.

http://scn.sap.com/community/about/content

Craig

Re: Issues with the new SDN?

Post by Craig » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:07 am

Looks like the major issues have been resolved. The performance is better. And I'm not getting booted out anymore, (unlike SAP fans!!!).

I was surprised at how quickly the posting yesterday got the attention of folks at SAP. I thought they'd be a little too busy to be keeping tabs on little old us here at SAP fans. Evidently not.

I think the initial subject line, (How bad is the new SDN), got misinterpreted. It wasn't meant to diss SDN as in wow.. can you believe that new system.. it really stinks...

It was meant to find out how pervasive or big of a problem the issues were. Were they local? Worldwide? Limited to a country? Limited to certain users? Had I missed something I needed to do something in my account?

I couldn't stay logged in for more than one page view it seemed. Most pages timeout and there was no way I could report a bug or find out info. So I posted a question here to see how big an issue it was.

Anyway.. SAP reached out to me. Wanted to know more and made sure the issues were logged. So now.. if they can get a few more things fixed today all the issues might get resolved.

It was a huge software change. I'm sure with lots of issues and moving parts. I'm always a little bit disappoined when SAP projects have hiccups. Shouldn't they all be perfect? :-) I know how good the SAP software can be. It doesn't matter that SAP is using some other software to run SDN, to the world, the face of it is considered SAP. So when it is an SAP project that is actually run by SAP I kind of have very high expectations. That said, had it been anyone of the many consulting houses I've worked with over the years doing the project for a client, with a few exceptions, it probably would have been waaayyyy worse! :P

Craig

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:35 am

Craig wrote:SAP reached out to me.
Ok, this explains the positive tone of your post... I though you were a bit more fearless :twisted:

Anyways, I've asked them to change my username to VLozano and they did in two days. Way more efficient than a lot of places I went...
Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem

Craig

Post by Craig » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:05 am

Actually, its exactly what I believe. My position hasn't really changed.

I still think that overall the change over wasn't as good as it should have been. And I think that SAP knows that as well.

And my intention wasn't to gripe about the new software. That will come. :-)

I'm still waiting for a few fixes so we'll see. They still have a lot of stuff to resolve but it seems like more minor stuff.

Craig

rangachary

Post by rangachary » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:31 am

VLozano wrote: Anyways, I've asked them to change my username to VLozano and they did in two days. Way more efficient than a lot of places I went...
Hi V,

Who did you ask, and where can you see your username? After some initial hiccups, I was able to log in and it never asked me to confirm my user name again, and nowhere do I see name3 as my username on any of the pages. Maybe the issue got resolve by itself, do you think?

sapsepo

Post by sapsepo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:56 pm

This thread is becoming too much tolerant.
SCN is something new, and like all the new things is BAD, by definition.
So let's restart ranting... :twisted:

Craig

Post by Craig » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:39 pm

Well.. its nearing the end of second day. Still major issues in SDN

Performance is terrible. I'm not getting the page errors and timeouts like I did yesterday but sometimes it's taking 30 seconds or more to load a page. Rarely is it under ten secomds. I feel like I'm on dial up.

I'm often being logged out by the system. It seems whenver I leave an area to a new area or I access my personal "space".

Messages created from Feb 1 - March 10 seem to be missing or at least are not displayed in several discussion areas.

That's all related to the conversion.

What I don't like about the software itself so far:
1 - I can't seem to get to a usable discussion area without multiple clicks and page loads. First I have to go to the area which takes you to dashboard type of screen. Then you have to click on the content tab. Then you have to select only the discussions. Once there, it's harder to determine the status of a particular discussion. There is no icon indicating the topic is locked so i've wasted time opening up a few of these. The icons that are there are so freaking small I need a magnifying glass to see if its been answered or still has a question mark in it. And I just had my eyes checked and they are fine!

2. Once in a content area I have to switch to the details instead of the thumbnails. It doesn't seem to always remember that I want the list mode instead of thumbnails for some reason.

3 - The amount of white space taken up by the messages and replies is unbelievable. How about using normal single line spacing and not adding in extra white space between paragraphs. If I want white space in my messages and replies I'll put it in. If folks don't like it they can tell me or not read it!

4 - Blogs appear to be basically only publicized to one discussion area. I can add a tag to the blog but there is no way someone knows it is there if they are in other forums. You used to be able to index a blog into 5 different areas. I think there is a way to see all new blogs added but I haven't found it yet. I used to like to see all the blogs that were published each morning. Not sure if i can do that anymore.

5 - It looks like to index a blog to different forum you have to be following that forum. I could be wrong on that. But if you can type it in, I am assuming you need to know the exact syntax of it. Which means I'll have to go look it up somewhere cause my memory is terrible.

Personally, I haven't found much I like about the new format yet. I do think having all the discussions/blogs/papers etc.. under the one area is good. But they should each have their own tab and not all be grouped under the content tab. Or at least the discussion area should have their own tab with the blogs/documents/papers and another tab, maybe called 'Reference material' ? I hate having to narrow my selection down to dicsussions every time I go into a different forum or area.

It seems right now I'm doing a heck of a lot of extra click and page loading to do the same thing I did before in the old forums.

Yesterday afternoon I was willing to give them a C+ grade. Today it is definitely down to a C- and real close to a D.

Craig

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:02 am

rangachary wrote:
VLozano wrote: Anyways, I've asked them to change my username to VLozano and they did in two days. Way more efficient than a lot of places I went...
Hi V,

Who did you ask, and where can you see your username? After some initial hiccups, I was able to log in and it never asked me to confirm my user name again, and nowhere do I see name3 as my username on any of the pages. Maybe the issue got resolve by itself, do you think?
I just surfed around the Q&A page and found a "contact us" broken link. In the same page I saw another "contact us" link that allowed me to send a direct mail to a "support" addres with a determined "support" subject.
The username change has not taken effect yet, but the answering mail said me it will took 48h (today night the period expires)
Tuly Idiots

thx4allthefish

Post by thx4allthefish » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:58 am

Hah! I had the same problems with the login as rangachary did, now they garbled my first name to something unreadable which angers me greatly. Why don't they use the certificate, I have to d/l every year, like SMP does? What the heck is wrong with them?

The performance is ugly.

They still have the problem of double-posts, which makes the whole thing close to unreadable.

Pressing the "load more items" button and facing down the painfully slow load of another WOW what? 7 items or so is not my cup of tea. I like browsing pages.

The fancy points-system is still up and apparantly I have earned 12 points for managing to sign up with a garbled name. SUCESS! In addition to the ridiculous point system you have now a fancy "average point rating" display to indicate ... what, exactly?

Oh, I see the progress SDN made, I think, I'll continue to stay out of there.

EDIT: I give up - has somebody found out, how to quickly (!!!) switch from one forum to another?
curiousorange wrote: I give up. Humanity isn't worth saving. Why is there never a Vogon Constructor Fleet around when you really need one?

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:23 pm

Craig wrote:I was surprised at how quickly the posting yesterday got the attention of folks at SAP. I thought they'd be a little too busy to be keeping tabs on little old us here at SAP fans. Evidently not.
I had a privileged contact with someone at SDN at brought her attention to this topic. 8)

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:53 am

Snowy wrote:
Craig wrote:I was surprised at how quickly the posting yesterday got the attention of folks at SAP. I thought they'd be a little too busy to be keeping tabs on little old us here at SAP fans. Evidently not.
I had a privileged contact with someone at SDN at brought her attention to this topic. 8)
blabbermouth...
Tuly Idiots

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:37 am

VLozano wrote:
Snowy wrote:
blabbermouth...
jealous!

Craig

Post by Craig » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:46 am

I thought things were getting better at SCN.

But seems really bad today...

Craig