Why is place dying?

Discussion about non-SAP related issues: Inquiries, Personal & Commercial advertisements, etc. ( For registered users only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish, The Prince Of Darkness

Craig

Re: Why is place dying?

Post by Craig » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:29 am

Great response Ilya!

I can see where each of your points are coming from. Maybe it's time the GD forum changes a bit. Maybe it should go away and we invent a new forum for newbies and/or guests. The first forum listed also always gets a disporporinate amount of spam as well. Maybe we should a SPAM forum listed first and not bother policing that at all.

Create a new GD forum underneath it. And maybe ask our local residents to try not to scare off the newbies?

Craig

Seany

Post by Seany » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:46 am

Craig

You recall the Guest Book where all kind of idiots could leave their messages. PoD tried to resurrrect it in the form of a thread but like most things around here it died a death. I think we should just scrap the whole forum apart from 'Can You Count' which apparently appeals to a number of GD regulars as it consists of the difficult task of googling images with a specific number and posting them to the thread. I guess it gives a little relief from that tricky ABAP or Config problem they are actually being paid to work on :D
Sean

I wish you good courage because courage will lead you to be a star and afraid will lead you to death. Be well and patient.

ilya

Post by ilya » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:03 pm

Vic, I think that if you search SDN for things like "how do I build that select so that it does not st22" you'll get what you are apparently expect. I do not do such searches anymore, so most likely are you. If I search with specific terms, and my terms are quite specific if I feel I do need help from the Internet, I am getting reasonable results.

In general, I'm not sure if you guys will get me. Sapfans was meant to be used at work, cause this is where we are staring at Sapgui. I do not run SAP at home. And if someone will see me in GD forum during my work day with all those funny threads (I do not mean jokes), what would they think about a "SAP professional with 'teen years of experience"? Here's a snapshot of GD from 2000, not even one thread is offtopic, and remember that guests were allowed at that time:

http://web.archive.org/web/200101241455 ... um/sapgen/

BTW, I'm pretty sure that one would find much better content elsewhere on the Net if it comes to the topics... how do I say... beneficial in hormonal sense :)
ilya

More input data: http://abaplog.wordpress.com
Sapfans ABAP FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=94198
Rich's ABAP Knowledge Corner: http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb/default.html
Function modules documentation: http://www.se37.com

Sharpshooter

Post by Sharpshooter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:05 pm

Wow - that brings back memories! I miss the posts by Jim C. I always wondered if it was his medication (or lack thereof)?
He was either insanely brilliant or just plain insane.
Good luck!

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:30 am

Ilya, let's say the things I use to search in SAPFans or in the SDN are not the kind of things I used to search in the early 2000's. Sometimes I just need hints from brilliant known people, and not a bunch of dumb answers from unknown sources with the addition of a bunch of filtering tasks.

The main reason I continue posting my questions in the ABAP forum and not just PM some people is the hope in the future someone will use the search button and find some useful threads.

But your points are gotten, anyways. Nice to hear from you again, as I said.
Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:48 am

in SDN, the ABAP related forums are filled with stupid questions and answers.

I do not see this behavior in Basis related forums... well at least, not that much.

So, in my case, SDN is still a good place to find useful questions/answers. Same goes with SAPfans' Basis forum.