Is Rick Perry Dumb?

Discussion about non-SAP related issues: Inquiries, Personal & Commercial advertisements, etc. ( For registered users only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish, The Prince Of Darkness

Snowy

Is Rick Perry Dumb?

Post by Snowy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:25 am

from : http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/62214.html

Rick perry is running to become presidential candidate representing Relublican party in the US. In the article, I had a good laugh about the followinf sentence:

“He’s like Bush only without the brains,” cracked one former Republican governor who knows Perry, repeating a joke that has made the rounds.

What? Bush without brains? I thought that Bush had nut much of that! :mrgreen:

bgamble

Re: Is Rick Perry Dumb?

Post by bgamble » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:52 pm

The US political system mostly on the GOP (Republican Party) has been derailed by a group of angry ultra conservative racists calling themselves the Tea Party.

They are toadies of the American plutocracy, people like the Koch brothers.

Their primary objectives are the reduction of taxes for the wealthiest Americans, elimination of all social programs, and even more importantly, the destruction of our economy in order to ensure the we get that brown guy out of Washington.

Perry is just the latest Tea Party candidate and he is a religious zealot and a total bastard.

Our only hope is that he is so far to the left that he is unelectable

Other than that, I don't really have an opinion on the matter

If you are interested in learning more, check these audio files out

http://soundcloud.com/mike-in-raleigh/o ... t-syndrome

http://soundcloud.com/mike-in-raleigh/t ... -directors
In my opinion, Pepper Spray is underutilized as an effective tool for scope control

mike_ac

Post by mike_ac » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:44 am

Bush was more intelligent than his mouth could show. He was an awful speaker.

Perry is the exact opposite. He is detested by his constituents in Texas, but holds his position because the alternatives were worse, or beause of dirty politics. His opinions match whatever will give him a position, because he is not intelligent enough to form his own.

He'll probably be the next president.

Sometimes, I hate the fact that average schlubs can vote.
"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk?" –Albert Einstein, when confronted by a neat freak about the disarray in his work space

ese_pinche_ABAP

Post by ese_pinche_ABAP » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:48 am

Bush flew fighter jets. If you are competent enough to fly fighter jets, you may be arrogant, you may be boastful, you may swagger. But you are most certainly not dumb.

Perry flew C-130s for 5 years. If you are competent enough to fly that beast, although not a fighter jet, you are still most certainly not dumb.

Obama, on the other hand, isn't smart enough to be an elevator operator in a two-story building.

Sharpshooter

Post by Sharpshooter » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:21 am

If this thread doesn't wake up Spartan Coder, nothing will.........
Good luck!

bgamble

Post by bgamble » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:48 pm

I don't doubt that Perry is in fact quite intelligent.

But here is one thing that the Teabaggers don't seem to understand:

No president can be elected unless he is able to get moderate and independent votes. The math just wont work.

Perry's book of ten months ago contained statements that will prevent him from garnering a moderate vote. The fact is, Social Security is one of the most popular programs in the history of the US. When it was introduced, 50% of US seniors were living at or bellow the poverty level. Today that number is around 10%

Old people vote - Obama may not be good but he just may get lucky unless the GOP can find a way to get one of the Mormons through the primary. And we know that the T-Evangelists wont allow that. The ultra right god warriors can not win the general

But thats just my opinion
In my opinion, Pepper Spray is underutilized as an effective tool for scope control

sapsepo

Post by sapsepo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:03 am

What happened to Mrs Palin? Is she still in the list?
Serious drama in this election...

Craig

Post by Craig » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:12 am

Palin will be a free publicity getter for the republican party. As will Chris Christie in NJ. But they'll be more distraction than substance. The longer the republican party can keep their endorsments a secret the more free-hype and milage they'll get from these two. Not too mention keeping the Democrats in a tizzy.

I'm interested to see if Gov. Bobby Jindal from LA might run. I think he could make a serious run at the republican nomination if he wanted. He will be re-elected to gov this fall and he has indicated he won't run for President in 2012. But it's not totally ruled out. They'll keep him under the radar and he could announce relatively late and make every one breath a sigh of relief that Palin or Christie won't get it! He'll be viewed as a savior that kept us from Palin/Christie by many middle of the road republicans and independents.

I have a feeling he might be one of the few republican's that could attract enough tea partiers and mid-stream republicians to make a viable run. (He had an "creation" bill passed to teach "intelligent design by a supreme being" in the schools, reduced government spending, increased the bond rating for LA, managed the Hurricane Gustav evacuation, is endorsed by the NRA and is strongly against illegal immigration).

Being a minority himself and the son of legal immigrants won't hurt either and he'll be able to pull some liberal voters from Obama.
He also would be one of the youngest candiates as well and that could help pull in and energize some younger voters and young republicians.

He has a strong history of supporting education, and children's health. (he had a child born with a congenital heart defect and actually delivered his third child at home when his wife delivered very quickly). His politcal studies doctorate was focused on health care policy.

I'm not crazy about all his polices but he could be a serious candiate with enough right-leaning policies and enough left-leaning policies to challenge Obama.

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:25 am

Why is theer only 2 "viable" parties in the US?

Maybe the Tea Party could become a real party of their own instead of "hijacking" GOP?

Craig

Post by Craig » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:05 am

Unfortunately certain rules and laws have been put in place in the US based on the two party system. There is nothing preventing the formation of a third party. But things like majority and minority speaker, the abitlity to redraw and redesign legislative areas, (the area a representative represents), control of certain things like assigning offices, staff, staff budgets and seats on various commitees are often controlled by the party leadership. I'm sure there are other things that are done by party, but those are some of the things I can think of. These rules or accepted practices also vary on the state level on a state to state basis. So the parties enjoy a certain built in advantage over new parties.

Third parties have certain hoops to jump through to make it onto any ballots. Like obtaining a ceratin number of signatures depending on the office you are running for. The two party system also is somewhat a saftey net. It always ensures competition, (at least on paper), for a given office. Some places are so republician or democrat that if it wasn't for the sponsorship of a national party, no one would even try to run against some people in some areas. So if all parties had to go throught the same hoops to run, there might only be one party that could technically run. A second party would never even be able get off the ground and into the race.

Take for instance the city of Philadelphia, the last republican mayor served from 1941-1952. The city is so dominated by the democrats, that a third party has very little chance to run and only the allowance of an automatic republician party nominee ensures competition in every mayoral race. If the Republicians had to jump through the same hoops as a third party does now, there is a good chance they would not even bother trying as they would view the race unwinable and go spend their funds elsewhere.

The mayoral vote is not usually in question but the size of the democratic victory is a strong barometer of the feelings of the public and their endorsement of the democratic mayor/nominee. It also brings out debate about a mayor's policies and vision for the future that he/she has to do to compete in the election. Debates aren't a bad thing. Even a "lock" candidate has to express their views and can be held accountable for broken election promises.

In some countries they have to do multiple run-off elections becasue of the number of candidates and the elections can go on and on until someone comes out on top with more than a certain percentage of the votes. And we all hear about "coalition" governments that keep control by making pacts with multiple political parties. The Israeli government is a good example of this with President, Prime Minister and cabinet positons barterred amoung the coalition partners.

I'm not neccessarily a fan of the current US two-party system, but then most other electoral processes around the world are not much better. Every system has it's good points and bad points. My biggest compliant concerns the redrawing of representative boundary lines to favor the majority party every ten years. Some territories are so broken up they look like jigsaw puzzles with half the pieces missing.

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:22 am

Very interesting.

it's just that a two party system created 2 sided coins views. It'S either black or white, it cannot ever be gray.

In Canada, we had coalitions in the last 10 years or so and I feel that was better that way because coalitions forced to choose gray instead of all white or all black.

Now, we have a conservative majority and whooof! it seems like all decision go only one way (always against Quebec's interests).

bgamble

Post by bgamble » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:22 pm

One comment on the Palin thing. There is a new occupation in the US that is quite lucrative. Conservative Celebrity. Huckabee, Palin, Buchanan. If you are pretty far to the right and you have either held or run for a big office, Governor of Pres, there is million dollar salary waiting for you at Fox news.

Palins not running because she does not need to. If you can get paid a million bucks a year to talk about how much you hate the federal government, why go and get your ass kicked in some debate. Especially by a black person

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:08 am

for some people, it's not all about money, it's about power.

Would you rather be Barack Obama... or Bill Gates?

Craig

Post by Craig » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:41 am

Are you really serious with that question!?

Gates hands down.

For one, with that kind of money you could fund your own election campaign and would have a real chance of winning. Not guaranteed mind you, but much beter than 50/50. Money can buy an election.

Money is power. If Gates or Buffet really want something bad enough, they can get it. From hot Slavic chicks to personal tax breaks there isn't much they can't get.

Let's see.. As President I get to be called dumb all the time, I can't accidentally trip cause it will be on world wide TV, I can't misspell potato (wait.. That was a vice president)... And god forbid if I get caught getting a BJ in the office. Nah.. Gates all the way... He could do anything in his office and no one would say a thing about it.

Craig

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:12 am

you got my point!