BASIS people are evil.

Discussion about non-SAP related issues: Inquiries, Personal & Commercial advertisements, etc. ( For registered users only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish, The Prince Of Darkness

Al.

Re: BASIS people are evil.

Post by Al. » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:37 am

With a sensible hat on for once, this is exactly the sort of thing that is easily covered through an escalated privilege process. There are also tools out there that automate some of it. Legitimate activities in Prod need to be performed, even if you wouldn't want people to have them all the time. If you let the Basis guys and gals get involved then that is just asking for trouble!

swright

Post by swright » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:29 pm

Wait, what? We are having a sensible and somewhat technical SAP discussion in GD

(checks date, no not 1 April)

Ok my NSHO:
1) tough noogies - you should replicate and debug in a test system apart from rare circumstances where problems cannot be reproduced and then only allow that sort of thing for a limited time, as Al says
Al. wrote: ... Legitimate activities in Prod need to be performed, even if you wouldn't want people to have them all the time. ...
2) We Security people are evil( :twisted: it's a natural gift), Basis are bastards (start with same 3 letters you know) when you get someone who does both, then yuo are really up against it :wink: ;-)
3) There are always back-doors but if your company routinely allows access that way, it gets what it deserves (it will be buggered).
4) Is it too early for a beer yet?
5) Good to see PoD back to his usual self
6) Did someone mention beer?
7) See point 6
Sandi
~~~~

Tuly kiwi. Image

Putting the Chur in Christchurch, bro!

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:37 pm

VLozano wrote:I debugged a lot of time in prod systems. And I had to debug the SAP standard sometimes. I don't see nothing bad in giving debugging rights in PROD...
ouch... Is this how you got your HUGE pay increase?

no Debug access in prod unless someone checks you when you do your "debug" work.

there is always system copies to "debug" most Production problems.

bgamble

Post by bgamble » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:01 am

WTF are you folks talking about? Are you talking about doing something on a clients system AFTER go-live. Screw dat
In my opinion, Pepper Spray is underutilized as an effective tool for scope control

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:29 am

As I said, I debug prod when needed. I get no pleasure debugging, and I hate production systems (it's the main reason because I'm a developper, to torture those busturd production systems). I have not a HUGE pay increase. Being honest, I don't know if I will have a real pay increase, I'm happy just still having a job.

But if my functional people tell me I must debug the production system, I just do it. It doesn't break anything, and you all know it.
Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem

Craig

Post by Craig » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:25 am

Yep. No problem with debugging in production. It happens. But it should never be a "normal business practice". It should have to be requested and approved. Even if it has to go through an emergency approval process.

Can't trust any programmers! :P Especially since anymore none of the programmers are employees, they are all contractors!

Craig

PARIVALLAL

Post by PARIVALLAL » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:32 am

HI BASIS EXPERTS
PLS SEND ME THE DETAIL ABOUT NETWEAVER

THANKS IN ADVANCE

The Prince Of Darkness
Location: Either on a train or in a pub (if neither, arguing with an Eastern Block work colleague)

Post by The Prince Of Darkness » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:47 am

Where are your manners?

Please sign the fanbook

http://sapfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=349205
Former SAP PM, looking to move in Lawn Mower business

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:28 am

PARIVALLAL wrote:HI BASIS EXPERTS

THANKS IN ADVANCE

posting 4 other topics about him supplying SAP training.... but does not know about NetWeaver... :shock:

tagged for darwin award

didier

Post by didier » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:00 am

PARIVALLAL wrote:HI BASIS EXPERTS

THANKS IN ADVANCE
my first nomination for the Darwin Awards....

Seany

Post by Seany » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:11 pm

to the original point.

I agree that you can't let any old idiot debug in the production system, but I get frustrated when Basis or Security hand down an edict banning categorically this function but then refuse to suggest an alternative to resolving the business issue. Long story short, whenever we encounter corrupt data (and it happens in standard SAP) we have to develop a program, test it in multiple clients then execute it in production:

Time taken approx 3 weeks
Cost $000s

Seany method, (hocus pocus and jiggery pokery)

Time taken approx 10 minutes
Cost $1.50
Sean

I wish you good courage because courage will lead you to be a star and afraid will lead you to death. Be well and patient.

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Seany wrote:Time taken approx 10 minutes
Cost $1.50
Hey Sean, I'll hire you anytime if your hourly rate is 9$ an hour (1.5$ for 10 minute multiplied by 6 = 9.00 for 60 minutes)

:mrgreen:

mike_ac

Post by mike_ac » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:24 pm

Snowy wrote:
Seany wrote:Time taken approx 10 minutes
Cost $1.50
Hey Sean, I'll hire you anytime if your hourly rate is 9$ an hour (1.5$ for 10 minute multiplied by 6 = 9.00 for 60 minutes)

:mrgreen:
Your math is incorrect. His rate is $250 per hour:

$250 less $241 impairment charge effectively recovered by company = $1.50 net for 10 minutes' catastrophic damage.
"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk?" –Albert Einstein, when confronted by a neat freak about the disarray in his work space

Mordeb

Post by Mordeb » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:11 am

As a developer, security really gets in the way of troubleshooting.

In PRD, if I want debug with change values, it takes a couple of emails and an approval trail at my company. Can usually get the permissions for an hour or so to troubleshoot the problem.

But if I mess up and actually create a financial document while debugging, that would be bad.

Each company does this differently.

On the fun side:
Basis people and developers rule. Functional people are evil!!

Rich

Post by Rich » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:52 am

Mordeb wrote:Functional people are evil!!
Functional ? Surely you mean dysfunctional ?

Mind you, I'm sure our Baz will disagree with you. He's seen the light and is now trying to be our very own functional abapper. I'm not sure what's going on inside his head (I know....he's quite comfortable in there with all his friends) but I'm certain there must be a conflict of interest going on in there somewhere ?

:P
Regards

Rich

Abap KC:http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb
SFMDR:http://www.se37.com