worst interviewing experiences?

Discussion about non-SAP related issues: Inquiries, Personal & Commercial advertisements, etc. ( For registered users only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish, The Prince Of Darkness

muhnkee_2
Location: where the sun is shining, drinks are cold and the food is good

worst interviewing experiences?

Post by muhnkee_2 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:13 am

Hey dudes,
Its all quiet in the office today, so i am spending my lunch time working on a presentation for SAP HR 2010 on "how to hire good SAP HR consultants"
I am sure that you have all had encounters with some bad candidates/cvs/interviews, so i would like to hear about them, then i can add them into my presentation and you will become a little bit famous!>?!?!?!?!

Of course all commenters will be paid in beers at that standard rate of 1 beer per 1 laugh!

cheers and beers
greg
Author of Discover SAP ERP HCM
A high level introduction to the capabilities and functionality of SAP HR
Available now from SAP Press
http://sap-press.com/product.cfm?account=&product=H2989

Craig

Re: worst interviewing experiences?

Post by Craig » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:47 am

"how to hire good SAP HR consultants"
You mean there is such a thing?

berryd

Post by berryd » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:52 am

Hi

I suppose having two cv's infront of you both identical in content applying for a security role but with different names has to be in there somewhere? We didn't interview either of them.
Real Daleks don't use the stairs. They just level the building.
Well - okay - so now they can fly - that's not fair!

muhnkee_2

Post by muhnkee_2 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:55 am

Craig wrote:
"how to hire good SAP HR consultants"
You mean there is such a thing?
yeah, its all about how to hire me!!

muhnkee_2

Post by muhnkee_2 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:01 am

we had one while working in Egham where a candidate explained his understanding of HR --> FI interfacing, as "is that the person who carrys the print outs from the HR office to the FI office?"

The Prince Of Darkness
Location: Either on a train or in a pub (if neither, arguing with an Eastern Block work colleague)

Post by The Prince Of Darkness » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:11 am

I once had a telephone interview whilst wearing a gas mask and chained to the dogs bed.
Former SAP PM, looking to move in Lawn Mower business

mike_ac

Post by mike_ac » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:50 am

The Prince Of Darkness wrote:I once had a telephone interview whilst wearing a gas mask and chained to the dogs bed.
:) I don't think an "interview" by WoD was what was intended by the OP.

On a more serious note, I once had to sit through an interview with a guy who knew absolutely zilch about the role he was applying for. It turned out his phone interview was actually fielded by a completely different person. I don't know why anyone considered him in the first place. He had almost 10 years of SAP "experience," but never lasted more than two months on ANY job. Any decent consultant will land a long-term deal sooner or later...
"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk?" –Albert Einstein, when confronted by a neat freak about the disarray in his work space

Al.

Post by Al. » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:08 am

Hey Greg, is this for the conf in Barca or Vegas? That reminds me, I have to start my Barca (GRC) pres pretty sharpish.

Onto topic, where do I start, my interview experience is rather depressing.

I won't claim this one, but I know a guy who interviewed a candidate for a security role and when the candidate couldn't answer the question decided to give a different answer and tell the interviewee that his question was incorrect.
Another couple of guys (who I know browse this forum) interviewed a guy and when probed his tech knowledge, got compared to the Gestapo. How to win friends & influence people :)

They aren't really humourous, more like WTF were they thinking

- There is the candidate who asked if I was OK if he ate his dinner while he was being interviewed (over the phone - gobble, gobble, munch, snort).
- There is the girl who would pause between questions and I could hear her notes being rustled (another phone interview)
- There is the guy who asked me for model answers to my questions (he had failed most of them) so he could write them down.
- On an HR topic, there is the guy who insisted that structural auths were called "structured" auths and were based on the enterprise structure, not the organisational structure.
- There was the girl who started to panic and told me she was having an asthma attack when I questioned some inconsistencies in her CV.
- Then there is a dude who gave an in-depth explanation of the solution he designed - only he didn't, I worked alongside the guy who did.
- We have a guy who interviewed OK but just didn't fit the role. I had his CV to one side as I reckon we could have used him. He then got really stroppy (we are talking about lots of shitty emails) when I told him and the CV was firmly placed in the recycling bin.
- Quite recently was a guy who refused to answer a question because he felt it was ethically unsound and questioned my morals for asking it. (It was related to gaining unauthorised access to SAP and it was a security interview).

If I can remember any more I will post them up.

I suppose the main helps I find to hire good consultants are:

1. Get referrals from people I trust.
2. Give people open questions that require them to think. If a candidate is anything more than a junior then if they can't successfully articulate their knowledge or at least an approach (right or wrong) then they aren't going to be a good consultant.

Cheers

darkduck

Post by darkduck » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:25 am

The Prince Of Darkness wrote:I once had a telephone interview whilst wearing a gas mask and chained to the dogs bed.
Has it happened in Eastern Siberia? Somewhere between Yakutsk and Chita? :lol:
SAP FI FAQ: http://en.sap.darkduck.com

Just before submitting any question, have a look at http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html please...

berryd

Post by berryd » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:59 am

Bad timing...

I once had a telephone interview for a security contract but we were touring the Guiness Factory in Dublin when they rang :-(

Ever try to take a call on your mobile in there?

It doesn't work and neither the interviewer (English not their first language) or I could manage to understand each other.

Tried to ask for another time but never heard back :-)

The Guiness was nice though
Real Daleks don't use the stairs. They just level the building.
Well - okay - so now they can fly - that's not fair!

rangachary

Post by rangachary » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:04 am

This one does not necessarily fit the bill, but I had a bizarre experience when a company I applied to asked me to send them my CV in a specific format, and they sent me a sample CV to assist me. The Sample CV was exactly my CV - it contained all my projects and customers and all the work I had done - only it was in a different name . I didn't even recognize the name as any one I had worked with in those projects.

baanbrecher

Post by baanbrecher » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:22 am

rangachary wrote:.... and they sent me a sample CV to assist me. The Sample CV was exactly my CV -
about 99% of the readers would like to know how the story ended...
then at least from a CV point of view you must have been what they were looking for. ...did you react... did they react...did they apologize/even believe you...

thx4allthefish

Post by thx4allthefish » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:08 am

From the PoV of an interviewee:

I once applied for a job as a SAP-R/3 'Basis-Admin' and the interviewer was actually the head manager of IT of one of the biggest companies here. He asked me questions on the architecture of CICS, layers and how to best install ... and how would I go about implementing new applications written in RPG.

... I am old, but I am not that old ...

When I told him that I have no idea about the 'how-to', he told me, I didn't qualify to administer to SAP-systems run on HP-UX. At that point, I was constantly smirking.

Two years later, I was hired by the management of another company to find that special guy as a 'team-lead' to the dwindling crew of guys caring about a 20 year old host-application. He has been fired two years ago.
curiousorange wrote: I give up. Humanity isn't worth saving. Why is there never a Vogon Constructor Fleet around when you really need one?

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:19 pm

thx4allthefish wrote:and how would I go about implementing new applications written in RPG.
The proper answer must be something like "hold on, I will seek for my twenty-sided dice..."

BTW, I have been used to reach interviews for roles I was NOT qualified. It happens (at least here, in Spain) when you work for a consultant company. My bosses did NOT like when I openly said in all interviews I had no clue about the work to be done.
But there must be something weird in my attitude, because all times I've been hired (except one time because the client I was working for said my boss to keep me there or lose a customer :mrgreen: )*

My natural answer is something like "I don't have a clue, but give me access to the net and five minutes and you'll have your answer :twisted:

* that customer cancelled my contract six months later, after I said my contact his husband was a very bad programmer (I did not know he was the guy who created that mess, I promise... anyways, if I knew it, I said her the same thing... there are programmers and programmers, you know).
Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem

Rich

Post by Rich » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:35 pm

As an Interviewee....
  • A job specified as a programmer but was actually a shop assistant selling computers "because they thought a programmer would know more about computers.
  • For an immediate start in the sout of france as an Abapper, by a girl who admitted that she did not know what SAP was and was reading from a script. Immediate meant four months hence.
As an interviewer....
  • of an India who had his brother take the interview.... with the result of deportation from a clients workplace.
Regards

Rich

Abap KC:http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb
SFMDR:http://www.se37.com