What do you do during 'bench time'

Discussion about non-SAP related issues: Inquiries, Personal & Commercial advertisements, etc. ( For registered users only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish, The Prince Of Darkness

Craig

Re: What do you do during 'bench time'

Post by Craig » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:14 am

bgamble wrote:My only advice, Quit early and often.

I started a new project in the States 3 weeks ago. Monday they came around and told everyone that the project was moving to Beijing after the first 5 weeks.

Believe it or not, they were surprised when I quit yesterday. These mutha fu*kers are CRAAAAAAZZZZY
I thought you had only just started a project in Czech not long ago? Now you're back in the states? Where at? *Hoping to get that beer yet before he leaves again* How often were you going back to Prague? At least you practice what you preach!

So now you're looking again?

Craig

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:51 am

Craig wrote:*Hoping to get that beer yet before he leaves again*
Good luck on that! and if it does not work, he will blame you!

bgamble

Post by bgamble » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:54 am

Prague project was Feb - July. Fun times

The difference in rate between Europe and North America has me back in the states for a 6 months - a year.

My wife is staying back home in Prague and I will go for conjugals based on some schedule. Not sure how that's going to work out yet.

Just landed a job in Vancouver. Hard to get farther from Prague and stay in North America but the pays good so we will see how it goes.
In my opinion, Pepper Spray is underutilized as an effective tool for scope control

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:43 am

lucky you,

Vancouver is a very nice city!

You have mountains nearby, you can go skiing about 9 months a year
You have Pacific Ocean nearby with a nice beach.
Weather is hotter than the rest of Canada, you will rarely go under -5.

downside: rain, rain and more rain! But, you've been to England before, so, you,ll get over it!
In the Winter, you won't get a lot of snow in the city, so, after 2 inched of snow, city is almost paralyzed! Yes, this is in Canada!

Squarebear

Post by Squarebear » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:09 am

muhnkee_2 wrote:i like to go on marathon online gaming sessions, if its lucky enough to be combined with my wife travelling for work, then i can usually manage to play games for at least 20 hours in a day!
Wow, that's quite a commute.

I really ought to get into online poker. Every time I get a pop-up offering me a quick game of poker I accept and kick their arses. :roll:
Possibly the most modest person in the world.

Dr Sidewalk

Post by Dr Sidewalk » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:57 am

I'm not sure whether you're on the bench while working for a consultacy, or you're a company/self employed?.

I was really suprised about how many agencies there are out there. I was finding about two new ones everyday when I finished my contract (last year). The trick is to first find all the websites that advertise SAP positions, find out who's behind the advert and then get their details by locating the home website. Send them your CV. Job done. You'll soon be loaded with telephone calls for contracts, or agencies just willing to make contact and register you in case a position in your field comes up.

Dr Sidewalk
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" - Albert Einstein
"Money isn't everything in life, unless you don't have it"
"Fail to plan, plan to fail"
"Success is a journey, not a destination."

berryd

Post by berryd » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:45 am

Hi Dr Sidewalk

Thanks for the advice - appreciated, I'm self employed - never worked in a consultancy which may be an issue sometimes :-)

Keeping my hand in by reading up on GRC implementation, trying to understand IdM (too techie for me methinks!) and other bits and bobs, have access to a private ECC6 system too which helps!

Had a few interviews and got at least one of them so should be okay very very soon.

Cheers
David
Real Daleks don't use the stairs. They just level the building.
Well - okay - so now they can fly - that's not fair!

Count

Post by Count » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:13 pm

off late I have been attending to a project for only a couple of days a week,.. to save budget for my manager,.. and while on bench (I am a permie)... I did a bit of poking around on ehp5 and the business client,.. looks good especially on the portal front though.
come december sap says it will release ehp5 to customers,.. cant wait to get my hands on an implementation involving it.

then,... I agree with the mrs mgmt thingy,.. I am not obliged to spend time at office on a bench-day but I do it to escape the to-do stuff ;)
and end up doing the r&d to kill time while in office and on bench...
cheers
c.
-------------------------------------------

Count
cognosce te ipsum, corripe cervisiam ;)

Dictator-for-life-of-the-Tuly-Idiot-Order
viewtopic.php?t=287109
-------------------------------------------