Out of work - what should I do with my time??

Discussion about non-SAP related issues: Inquiries, Personal & Commercial advertisements, etc. ( For registered users only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish, The Prince Of Darkness

RosieBrent

Out of work - what should I do with my time??

Post by RosieBrent » Tue May 05, 2009 2:05 am

Well guys the inevitable happened and I got made redundant from my last job, so now I'm faced with long hours of Jeremy flaming Kyle unless I find something to fill my days with - any suggestions?

Tuly suggestions are tuly welcomed ;)

Oh and yeah, I've been absent for a while, I'm sorry - I still luvs you all
Kind Regards

Rosie Brent

Please remember to search the forum and check the FAQ before posting questions, thank you.

Tuly Idiot most of the time, part-time Guru Image

The Prince Of Darkness
Location: Either on a train or in a pub (if neither, arguing with an Eastern Block work colleague)

Re: Out of work - what should I do with my time??

Post by The Prince Of Darkness » Tue May 05, 2009 2:19 am

Welcome back. Wouldn't looking for another job/contract be high up the priority list, or is that a ridiculous suggestion.
Former SAP PM, looking to move in Lawn Mower business

Drew Peacock

Post by Drew Peacock » Tue May 05, 2009 2:28 am

Sorry to hear that Rosie :cry:

You'll have to consider a career in one of the current 'boom' industries. Something like Kids lunchbox inspector, wheelie bin monitor, or car clamping nazi.
Anythings better than daytime TV.
Next time, just ask yourself 'How would Frank Furillo handle this ?'

RosieBrent

Post by RosieBrent » Tue May 05, 2009 2:35 am

Of course finding a job's high on the list PoD!! LOL but I'm also bored today... damn you!!

I kind of like the idea of changing careers altogether to something nice and quiet like lion taming or dragon killing, but apparently the pay's not that great....
Kind Regards

Rosie Brent

Please remember to search the forum and check the FAQ before posting questions, thank you.

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Tue May 05, 2009 4:50 am

Try to write a SAP related book (nothing like "Bloody SAP and other ways to become mad") and go to Brazil. It seems some people enjoys this kind of things.

You can also add entries in the Tuly Idiots' Club... I think I gave you rights there long time ago :twisted:
Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem

RosieBrent

Post by RosieBrent » Tue May 05, 2009 5:51 am

Oh - well if the Tuly's need me I'm sorted :)
Kind Regards

Rosie Brent

mike_ac

Post by mike_ac » Tue May 05, 2009 6:25 am

Welcome back, Rosie! Hadn't seen a whole lotta you lately...

If you are looking for something to do, I have an idea for something to replace SAP, only I'm too lazy to write it myself...
"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk?" –Albert Einstein, when confronted by a neat freak about the disarray in his work space

RosieBrent

Post by RosieBrent » Tue May 05, 2009 6:37 am

Hahaha - I don't think I've got quite that much time (or brain power) MIke but thanks for thinking of me :)
Kind Regards

Rosie Brent

Dr Sidewalk

Post by Dr Sidewalk » Tue May 05, 2009 8:27 am

What should I do...

1). Keep your chin up. I'm sure if anyone in SAPFANS knows of any openings for Basis/Developers they'll contact you. Right Lads?.
2). Forget the job sites...Target just the agents/Agencies. Use the job sites to identify the agencies advertising for your skillsets then send your CV to them. Most agents now keep new job roles close to their chest and most have lost their budget for placing adverts on job sites. So if they have your up-to-date CV and you're in their mind at the time a new role comes up the Roberts you're uncle.
3). Add some more strings to your bow. Get certified in something else, like work/webflow or maybe CRM. Get trained up and just sit the exam at clock-house, assuming their is an exam for whatever you choose. You can join up to an IDES service (like IDESaccess.com) that gives you SAP access to practice on. They're about 75-90 quid a month which sounds expensive, but is less than a training course for one week costing 2,500 quid. The exams are normally around 350-380 quid, or around that.
4) Chill...and keep your self-esteem. The SAP market is filled with a lot of really crappy people (I know I am one) so say to yourself that you're the best that any potential employer would ask for.
5). Review, review, and review your CV, or better still get someone else to do it for you. Nowadays there is a trend to put a load of technical info and experience. But I have a seen a few CV's that did not contain much of this and instead they decided to use the space to sell themselves well, giving all the positive attributes and generally bigging themselves up. This will get you to the interview stage, which is most of the battle. You can then give the details in the interview. However, I guess a lot is down to how technical the client looking through your CV is, which in general is 'NOT', and hence the reason for selling yourself more.
6). Don't write a book, there's no money in it nowadays, and it's hard work. However, there does seem to be money in training material/especially on-line (CBT) and suchlike.

Dr Sidewalk
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" - Albert Einstein
"Money isn't everything in life, unless you don't have it"
"Fail to plan, plan to fail"
"Success is a journey, not a destination."

RosieBrent

Post by RosieBrent » Tue May 05, 2009 8:33 am

Thanks for the advice Dr - a serious post in the GD, has SAPFans gone mad??? :D

I'll have a look into access to an IDES system online - that might be the very thing for learning XI that I've been looking for, just rounds off the IDocs, ALE and RFC experience I already have.... LOL.

Anyone know of any good resources for learning WebDynpro (books/websites etc.?) I've got a MiniSAP system and if I get access to an IDES as well I might have a crack at learning that / portal stuff (apparently there's a lot of call for it at the moment).
Kind Regards

Rosie Brent

mike_ac

Post by mike_ac » Tue May 05, 2009 9:00 am

Honestly, I think I'd head for ESOA before straight webdynpros. Setting up services is really the path of the future. SAP is re-building much of its functionality around this concept.
"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk?" –Albert Einstein, when confronted by a neat freak about the disarray in his work space

Richard Shaw

Post by Richard Shaw » Tue May 05, 2009 9:03 am

That's good advice Doc - entirely possible I'll be needing it myself soon.
Is there any scope in contacting companies directly, do you think? E.g the HR person, or IT Director? If only to find out if they are hiring or which agency they prefer CVs to come from?
Maybe, if you manage to get hold of someone who's sympathetic, especially in the current difficult employment market, you might wangle 'mock' interview, just for the experience.
I still think (without any evidence whatsoever) that many jobs come from contacting just about everyone you've ever worked with, or knocking on doorsteps, and missing out the agencies altogether - I'm talking about permanent jobs, rather than contract.

Rosie, outside of work-related activities, now is the ideal time to transfer all your old LPs/45s onto CD (assuming you're old enough to own LPs), and likewise VHS onto DVD. Then figure out if you've got anything you can sell on e-bay. Also a good time to learn a musical instrument - stops the mind from turning to mush.

Cheers,
Richard

RosieBrent

Post by RosieBrent » Tue May 05, 2009 9:05 am

Ooo thanks Baz - don't know anything about ESOA so that will be interesting to look at. :)

I'm old enough to have owned LP's although all my music is on CD and MP3 now, still own a VHS player which I still use so not going to get rid of those cassettes just yet and I am doing a robotics course with the Open University to keep the "little grey cells" ticking over a little.... so whilst I'm out of work I'm not really bored, just missed you guys is all :mrgreen:
Kind Regards

Rosie Brent

Dr Sidewalk

Post by Dr Sidewalk » Tue May 05, 2009 10:40 am

Robotics...the very name still sends a shiver down my spine.

I wrote an interface to control some semi-industrial robotic devices (Wood Routers) in my pre-SAP days, but I choose the worst material in the world to work with, namely wood. We had sensor issues with the robotic devices whereby the senses were not picking up the resistance of reaching grains and knots so the wood was being burnt through, leaving a black mark, rather than stepping the motors down to half speeds to get a nice clean cut. There's just so much that can go wrong with robotic devices, especially when calibrating the cutting blade using laser devices. Unfortunately it was the early days of lasers and the calibration devices were not just inaccurate, but huge as well. Nowadays you can purchase similar things in electronic shops that easily fit into your hand for just a few quid. Actually, thinking about it a lot has changed, maybe that's not such a bad area to be in after all. :)

Dr Sidewalk
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" - Albert Einstein
"Money isn't everything in life, unless you don't have it"
"Fail to plan, plan to fail"
"Success is a journey, not a destination."

swright

Post by swright » Tue May 05, 2009 2:58 pm

Well outside of looking for work, I'd suggest spending time on Facebook but I don't think that's a problem for you :wink:
While you're puddling about on FB, start a farm in Farmtown, it'll keep you occupied for a while.

I'm don't know about your side of the world, but here, (and from what I've seen of Oz) the IT spends seems to be continuing in Government Departements, local government and public infrastructure. That may be a sector to consider in the job hunt arena.
Sandi
~~~~

Tuly kiwi. Image

Putting the Chur in Christchurch, bro!