should i buy a mac laptop?

Discussion about non-SAP related issues: Inquiries, Personal & Commercial advertisements, etc. ( For registered users only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish, The Prince Of Darkness

muhnkee_2
Location: where the sun is shining, drinks are cold and the food is good

should i buy a mac laptop?

Post by muhnkee_2 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:44 am

hey evil genius's of the sap world.
about a year and a half ago i bought a HP laptop running vista, its been nothing but a pile of crap, it crashes regularly, some of the keys dont work, it has had a never ending stream of compatibility issues with other external bits, basically its a pain in the butt!
but all of my friends who own apple laptops tell me all of this will be cured if i buy a MAC, of course they are so enthusiastic about it, that it scares me a little, so can anyone tell me if my life will be happier if i buy a mac laptop?
how long will it take me to get used to running a MAC?
will i be able to swap files between my MAC and my work PC?
will my wife (who doesnt like computers) get used to it quick enough that she wont just give up and complain about it forever?
any other top tips?
this thought coincides with a trip to Vegas next week, where MACs are cheaper, so i need to decide this week.
cheers and beers
greg
Author of Discover SAP ERP HCM
A high level introduction to the capabilities and functionality of SAP HR
Available now from SAP Press
http://sap-press.com/product.cfm?account=&product=H2989

garypayroll

Re: should i buy a mac laptop?

Post by garypayroll » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:25 am

Simple answer Yes,

I have been using macs for a good few years now, and I would highly recommend one....Simple to use and easy to learn.

Apple provide information for swtiching to mac http://www.apple.com/mac/ its very simple secure and a lot nicer.

There is nothing you cant do on windows that you cant do on a mac, and with parallels you can install windows on your mac if needs be!

I know loads of Sapsters who mac it up!

G

Joniels

Post by Joniels » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:23 am

I´m running Vista at work but Mac at home. Is there a SAP GUI, MaxDB Manager and other SAP-related programs available for Mac? In other words, can a Mac be used for everyday SAP-work? :)

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:10 am

Simple answer: no.

Just downgrade your OS to Windows xp or (better) try to find a beta key for Windows7. If you buy yourself a mac now, you'll risk your cash, as you cannot know if an original se7en will be cheaper than a mac.

I bought Vista myself, and I regret for that decision with every cell of my body. I'm waiting until Windows7 will reach the stores, then will take a look at its price and decide if I downgrade my desktop to XP or buy it.

But both decisions are far cheaper than a new laptop, and much more than a mac. Your laptop has to be in warranty yet. Fix those broken keys and wait.

Once you decide your laptop is dead, and your decision will be "which new laptop?" then you will be able to think about mac.

Just my two cents, of course.
Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem

garypayroll

Post by garypayroll » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:12 am

Yes there is a gui for mac

Look here

http://www.ams.utoronto.ca/AMS_Help/Sof ... r_MACs.htm

ilya

Post by ilya » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:44 pm

We discussed this a year ago, I think. I was seriously considering buying a Mac and did a lot of research, because 1. I am paying it myself and 2. I don't change those things often, so it would stay with me for several years.

I've got a Toshiba laptop now. Vista is running just fine, though I'd prefer to have XP on it.

Reasons against Mac:

1. Less software. Though available software is more polished - no doubts here.
2. It's becoming less and less secure, because it was security by obscurity and as Macs are being bought by bad guys too, Apple seems to be taken by surprise when security problems pop out.
3. Any OS version runs for 1-2 years. Then is gets EOLed with no updates, even security updates. You have to buy a new os ($/E 130). Compare to Microsoft: XP life cycle is from 2001 to 2014, for free.
4. All marketing cr.p like MagSafe etc. Who needs those fancy things.
5. Products are sometimes not being upgraded for two years. Compare this to ultra-dynamic PC market.
ilya

More input data: http://abaplog.wordpress.com
Sapfans ABAP FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=94198
Rich's ABAP Knowledge Corner: http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb/default.html
Function modules documentation: http://www.se37.com

bigchief

Post by bigchief » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:25 pm

ilya wrote: I've got a Toshiba laptop now. Vista is running just fine, though I'd prefer to have XP on it.
+1 for Toshiba

Both my HP and Sony VAIO laptops crashed beyond repair. I had to decide on a new (home) laptop. My work seems to prefer Toshiba and last year I was given a Toshiba Satellite Pro running Vista Business. It has served me well and I've got absolutely no complaints.

Hence, when deciding on buying a laptop for home, Toshiba was my firts choice. I now have a Toshiba Satellite for home running Windows Vista Home Premium and with both home and work machines I am as happy as a pig in Palestine.
Happiness is like peeing in your pants. Everyone else can see it but only you can feel the warmth!

garypayroll

Post by garypayroll » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:58 am

Sometimes, you have to look beyond what other people are doing, On my last job I used my mac for every day use, allbeit someone calling it a "Fisher Price" laptop at the beginning, but came round towards the end because of how it works, it just does. I think the Apple / Mac market has changed and for the better........
1. Less software. Though available software is more polished - no doubts here.
I agree there is less software, but the software pre loaded onto your mac is unlike anything that Windows comes with...even Microsoft Office for Mac is better than the windows version. Dont forget parallels, allows you to load windows on your machine for that software thats not available on the mac.
2. It's becoming less and less secure, because it was security by obscurity and as Macs are being bought by bad guys too, Apple seems to be taken by surprise when security problems pop out.
Yeah I agree on this point, but as much as they are supprised you can count on apple having a fix downloaded on your laptop within a day or so!
3. Any OS version runs for 1-2 years. Then is gets EOLed with no updates, even security updates. You have to buy a new os ($/E 130). Compare to Microsoft: XP life cycle is from 2001 to 2014, for free.
You speak to anyone thats used mac os x, and you'll see that they dont mind paying for new versions, you should see they que at the apple store in Birmingham at the last launch, and a new launch is trusted, unlike windows, where many people wait before upgrading..
4. All marketing cr.p like MagSafe etc. Who needs those fancy things.
The magsafe, is a brilliant thing....when I was forced to use windows I was forever tripping over cables and pulling out the power damaging the connector, again, something simple, but it works!
5. Products are sometimes not being upgraded for two years. Compare this to ultra-dynamic PC market.
Thats wrong, the apple mac book has been through over 5 upgrades in the last year, from new graphics to processors and even restyling.

Now i know im coming accross as a "Mac Boy" as some people calls us (thats more Stephen Fry http://twitter.com/stephenfry), but I like to have a computer that works and allows me to do my job without constant IT issues and that dreaded blue screen and crashing, and I dont own shares in apple or in any way affiliated with them, but in the last 2 years, I have converted 5 people into Apples and they never look back!

VLozano

Post by VLozano » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:37 am

Linux anyone? I have Vista in my main desktop, XP in my backup one, and I'm planning to convert my main desktop in a thriple-OS computer:

Three hard disks:
- Vista for dx10 games
- XP for old games (Vista has proved to be useless to play things like "Neverwinter Nights" -the original-)
- Linux for surfing, messaging and chat

The new motherboards allow you to choice from wich device you want to boot, and just having three HDDs will be cool.

But hey, Linux in a laptop is a good choice too. If you find a SAPGui for Linux, work done. If not, just install WINE ;)
Tuly Idiots
Because we know we are part of the problem

Al.

Post by Al. » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:42 am

muhnkee_2 wrote:they are so enthusiastic about it, that it scares me a little, so can anyone tell me if my life will be happier if i buy a mac laptop?
Yes. Your level of smugness will also increase exponentially (mine has).
muhnkee_2 wrote: how long will it take me to get used to running a MAC?
A week or 2 to get fully used to it, though getting up & running will be immediate
muhnkee_2 wrote: will i be able to swap files between my MAC and my work PC?
Yes
muhnkee_2 wrote: will my wife (who doesnt like computers) get used to it quick enough that she wont just give up and complain about it forever?
Mine has.

After 2 years

muhnkee_2 wrote: this thought coincides with a trip to Vegas next week, where MACs are cheaper, so i need to decide this week.
cheers and beers
greg
Lucky bugger. Some of my guys are there on the GRC Track & I've got to stay in the UK for a golive :-(

ilya

Post by ilya » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:39 pm

garypayroll wrote: Yeah I agree on this point, but as much as they are supprised you can count on apple having a fix downloaded on your laptop within a day or so!
Noooooo, Gary. Apple is the worst on fixing security bugs. If it hasn't changed somehow magically in the past few months, when I stopped reading the news articles, doing my research. They are at the stage where MS was a decade ago, lulled by using the BSD kernel.
The magsafe, is a brilliant thing....when I was forced to use windows I was forever tripping over cables and pulling out the power damaging the connector, again, something simple, but it works!
I spent two years as a traveling consultant, always stuffed at a temporary desk, moving constantly with my laptop, just as dozens of my colleagues. Never ever heard of any accidents. Just don't throw your bloody cable across the hallway.

To Magsafe, I'd add all those Mini DVI connectors, unamplified microphone sockets that always make you pay more at the end.
Thats wrong, the apple mac book has been through over 5 upgrades in the last year, from new graphics to processors and even restyling.
All updates are listed accurately at http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ and the statistics are not on Apple side. But I'm glad they haven't killed MacMini, having it updated finally after 1.5 years. Maybe I'll buy it one day.
Now i know im coming accross as a "Mac Boy" as some people calls us (thats more Stephen Fry http://twitter.com/stephenfry), but I like to have a computer that works and allows me to do my job without constant IT issues and that dreaded blue screen and crashing, ...
The availability of software for Windows is its curse. People are installing all kind of stuff that they never need. Do it to Mac do it to Linux and you'll get the same effect. I had occasional crashes but since I started to work with "serious" Windows (meaning NT kernel), I never had any really big problems, not more than on Linux or UNIX. In addition, whenever possible I don't use admin accounts. I had to, at work, for past 8 years, but didn't have any troubles either. I do enjoy UAC at Vista. Those who complain about it should be doomed - THEY cause all that cr.p with viruses, clueless dummies.

Finally, taking to Vic's reply. I once told my story about Linux. It was my primary OS at home for 4 years and served me relatively well, but now I'm using Vista with no regrets. I leave Linux now to younger people with infinite amounts of leisure time to be lost in forward slashes. The best ever setup I'd recommend to anyone is:

Main OS is Windows, to do all "local" stuff like photo, video, music, office work.
In a VMware VM, another OS running to do the rest on the Internet. It can be Linux, it can be Windows. Any problems, viruses? Just copy the VM file. It's performing a reinstall essentially, but hassle-free. To see what I mean, google "vmware browser appliance".

On this setup, I don't even need an antivirus. Yes, I run it, a free version of AVG, but just for fun of it. I do browse some selected trusted sites on my main OS in Firefox, but it's a matter of habit.

This way you don't have to pay premium for Macs. Yes, they are nice, and sure if you take exactly the same spec, some Dell will cost just slightly less. But what is all this power for? Even a cheapo $600 laptop that I have is powerful enough for any office work, and can even run SAP. Not SAPGUI but Netweaver 7.0 (Basis), with SAPGUI for Java running on the same machine.
ilya

More input data: http://abaplog.wordpress.com
Sapfans ABAP FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=94198
Rich's ABAP Knowledge Corner: http://www.richard-harper.me.uk/Kb/default.html
Function modules documentation: http://www.se37.com