Lawnmower?

Discussion about non-SAP related issues: Inquiries, Personal & Commercial advertisements, etc. ( For registered users only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish, The Prince Of Darkness

The Prince Of Darkness
Location: Either on a train or in a pub (if neither, arguing with an Eastern Block work colleague)

Lawnmower?

Post by The Prince Of Darkness » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:46 am

To celebrate my return home after 6 months away, I have decided to buy my wife a lawnmower so she can keep the grass looking nice. My "old" one blew up yesterday she just informed me.

My garden size is modest - I don't need a ride on.

Any advice - I was considering a used petrol one.
Last edited by The Prince Of Darkness on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former SAP PM, looking to move in Lawn Mower business

bigchief

Re: Lawmower?

Post by bigchief » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:51 am

I hope this one is SFW....
Happiness is like peeing in your pants. Everyone else can see it but only you can feel the warmth!

muhnkee_2
Location: where the sun is shining, drinks are cold and the food is good

Post by muhnkee_2 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:53 am

your wife is living in the past dude, its time to move intot he 21st century. no one mows their own lawn anymore:
http://www.jimsmowing.co.uk/
i am a bit biased as this one of the most successful franchises ever - some bloke called jim noticed a hole in the market and made millions out of it - now includes jims ironing, jims dog washing, if only it had jims HR book writing!
g
Author of Discover SAP ERP HCM
A high level introduction to the capabilities and functionality of SAP HR
Available now from SAP Press
http://sap-press.com/product.cfm?account=&product=H2989

bigchief

Post by bigchief » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:56 am

Happiness is like peeing in your pants. Everyone else can see it but only you can feel the warmth!

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:05 am

I don't know what "modest" means in England, but if it means what it does elsewhere (200-400 square metres), I'd suggest electric - here, you can buy something called a "FlyMo", which is cheap, simple, effective, and easy to use. Doesn't work as easily or well on long grass (not much does, except a bushfire), but if you are mowing regularly, very low maintenance and easy to use. Mowing over the power cable in not advised(but entertaining to watch).

Used petrol mowers are usually a bit sus. I'd go for a new four=stroke if you want petrol.

Oh - advice from SAP people on lawnmowers? Why don't you ask your local priest? He won't know any more, but the exorcism might be fun.

Jim

m@t

Re: Lawnmower?

Post by m@t » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:08 am

Definitely petrol. Using a standard flymo it took an hour to do our lawn. With a small petrol, it's done in 20 minutes. And it handles wet long grass with no dififculty.

My neigbour went electric after years of petrol. After 6 months he bought a petrol!

But do get a new one.

m@t
TULY Image The quality of answers is roughly proportional to the quality of the question.

The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:28 am

Yeah - hadn't thought enough about the climate. Flymos are not good on dense wet grass. We don't get that here, often. Go the petrol, but I'd still recommend four-stroke.

Jim

The Prince Of Darkness
Location: Either on a train or in a pub (if neither, arguing with an Eastern Block work colleague)

Post by The Prince Of Darkness » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:33 am

I'm thinking about this one (brand new)
http://www.thegreenreaper.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=1822

I found it for £119
Former SAP PM, looking to move in Lawn Mower business

m@t

Post by m@t » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:11 am

No - get the self propelled one. It really is worth the extra cost.

m@t
TULY Image The quality of answers is roughly proportional to the quality of the question.

The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

bgamble

Post by bgamble » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:38 am

m@t wrote:No - get the self propelled one. It really is worth the extra cost.

m@t

If the wife is pushing it, why spend the extra money. Might work a few pounds off her

get her one of these
In my opinion, Pepper Spray is underutilized as an effective tool for scope control

Willie 3

Post by Willie 3 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:38 pm

Hi,

why not ask the Countess to roughen up the lawn once in a while with her new Impreza?
In between the misses can have a cup of tea.

Willie.
Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do......

swright

Post by swright » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:41 pm

get a goat, or a sheep if you want a side business for the Spanish SapFans.
Sandi
~~~~

Tuly kiwi. Image

Putting the Chur in Christchurch, bro!

thx4allthefish

Post by thx4allthefish » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:42 pm

swright wrote:get a goat, or a sheep if you want a side business for the Spanish SapFans.
and a good meal ... and milk ... and fur ... and someone to bite your a$$ for no obvious reason :?
curiousorange wrote: I give up. Humanity isn't worth saving. Why is there never a Vogon Constructor Fleet around when you really need one?

swright

Post by swright » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:54 pm

fish, your description makes it sound like an ideal solution for many memebers of this forum.
Sandi
~~~~

Tuly kiwi. Image

Putting the Chur in Christchurch, bro!

thx4allthefish

Post by thx4allthefish » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:58 pm

sandi, i suggest we import a couple of thousand of these to SDN 8)
curiousorange wrote: I give up. Humanity isn't worth saving. Why is there never a Vogon Constructor Fleet around when you really need one?